Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Windows Mobile  (Read 1875 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Windows Mobile
« on: March 12, 2009, 06:23:38 pm »

Is it at all possible to run dwarf fortress in a windows mobile operating system?

In case it matters, the device in question is an HTC Fuze and is running Windows Mobile Pro 6.1

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Windows Mobile
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 06:30:39 pm »

To run DF, you need a windows or a Mac system, plus an OpenGL output device. Even though some PPC's are equipped with GPUs, none can run Windows (even 95) or MacOS natively, and so cannot use OpenGL. So even in theory, no.

If DF was ever downgraded into pure DOS, now that's another matter. Though I can barely run X-Com on my (520MHz, 64+64Mb RAM) PPC through DosBox.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 06:32:23 pm »

It has a 500ish-mhz processor and 288mb of RAM.   I'm going to venture a guess and say that the OS isn't going to be your problem in trying to get DF to run.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 06:41:21 pm »

The problem isn't the speed of running it (a nano-fort in a micro-world is all we ask), but there is no way to run it at all right now. Which isn't bad enough to complain about, but is still something to be considered. Just like mouse support.

I'm sure that if someone were to port LCS and KQ to WinMobile, the games would be no less popular than on the "big" systems, specifically because you can always take out your PPC and play on the go.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 07:22:27 pm »

Exactly, I would gladly run a nano-fort at a slow fps if I could do so on my phone.

Hm, I wonder if I could use terminal services to connect to my home PC via the web and run DF.
 ;D

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 07:26:30 pm »

It is kinda possible to play DF on a pocket pc, with VNC or RDP you can remote control your computer from the pocket pc. If you use a 5x5 tileset, and a VGA display, you should be able to fit the entire window on screen without any panning, and still have room for an on screen keyboard. Combined with a VPN you could play DF anywhere in the world, within reach of a wireless hotspot of course.

I imagine the latency is pretty bad, but if your computer is good, you could get way more FPS than you would running it natively on the pocket pc.

I think i might try this in a couple days, so stay tuned for updates.

EDIT: Dangit Forsaken!
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 07:42:37 pm »

To run DF, you need a windows or a Mac system, plus an OpenGL output device. Even though some PPC's are equipped with GPUs, none can run Windows (even 95) or MacOS natively, and so cannot use OpenGL. So even in theory, no.

Most of the mobile windows devices should handle Open GL. You also can run DF on linux too which runs on a large number of small devices, a lot of these will run OpenGL to some extent. I don't know if you'll get double figures FPS though.

The best bet for portable DF is probably the Pandora however to get it working at any decent speed would require optermisation for the ARM chipset (rather than the x86) which would make it similar in power to the higher end ATOM cores. (note this is purely speculation base on other software that runs on similar chipsets)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 09:29:17 pm »

It is kinda possible to play DF on a pocket pc, with VNC or RDP you can remote control your computer from the pocket pc. If you use a 5x5 tileset, and a VGA display, you should be able to fit the entire window on screen without any panning, and still have room for an on screen keyboard. Combined with a VPN you could play DF anywhere in the world, within reach of a wireless hotspot of course.

Well the phone in question, the HTC Fuze, has quite a large high resolution display. It can display a full website with readable text (if you have good eyes). I bet a 1/2 size normal grid would work. It also has nearly a full QWERTY keyboard with arrow keys, etc. Control wouldn't be an issue. It even has a stylus, so I could use that for easy mouse designating.

I imagine the latency is pretty bad, but if your computer is good, you could get way more FPS than you would running it natively on the pocket pc.

Yeah the latency would be pretty large. The phone has a 3G data plan but that would be far from realtime with terminal connections. Nothing like my Fios connection (50mb/s down, 20mb/s up).

I think i might try this in a couple days, so stay tuned for updates.

If you get it working, let me know. I'll look into it tomorrow but I'm really not sure where to start. Never worked with Windows Mobile before.

EDIT: Dangit Forsaken!

:D

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 01:50:45 am »

I've got a WVGA screen, so I can fit a 10x10 tileset with almost half the screen space free. It'd be a whole lot better if DF could run in WM natively though.

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 08:29:31 pm »

Wait, you can run DOSBox on one of those things? I now want one. For Wizardry.

lostmsu

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 09:24:47 am »

Wanna vote for port to Windows Mobile.
It would be nice to play DF from pocket pc.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 09:33:39 am »

Wow, a 6 month thread necro. Niice.

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2009, 09:51:25 am »

Dwarf fortress barely runs on my eee...

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 09:59:20 am »

Dwarf fortress barely runs on my eee...

Yer, until either mobile devices hit somewhere towards the multiple gz range or, possibly, some magic like the path-finding project (which I've utterly failed to find time to help with so far) manages to drastic reduce the cpu load I don't think we will get mobile DF.

Wanna vote for port to Windows Mobile.
It would be nice to play DF from pocket pc.

Your best bet for now would be one of the higher spec ultra light laptops, and even then I wouldn't count on it.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2009, 02:38:50 pm »

IM hopefully getting a cute little PPC, with touchscreen, 800x480 res, and a lil 400MHZ processor.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote
Pages: [1] 2