Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Best game of 2008.  (Read 3834 times)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: Best game of 2008.
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2009, 09:11:53 am »

PC:
Sins of a Solar Empire
Assassin's Creed
King's Bounty: The Legend

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2009, 09:14:19 am »

I'd say no port releases, but Assassin's Creed was pretty dern awesome

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2009, 09:14:29 am »

No mentions of GTAIV?
Wasnt IV a step back from previous releases? It's just shinier but with less content.

It DOES look good to watch the bottom of your car when it flips over, it IS fun counting the spokes of oldtimer wheels before they burst up in explosions, but you can only do that so many times before it gets boring.

San Andreas - content wise - so far was the peak of the series.

And then there is the horrible DRM crap you have to deal with.

And my personal crusade: it is NOT PART FOUR four fourks sake.
I dont care which parts used the same engine and which didnt. But the only offical expansion GTA ever had was GTA: London (basically a mod of GTA1). Every other part was an OWN part and should be counted accordingly.

The only reason they didnt put the real number behind the letters was... because it would look cheap. It would look like they are trying to milk us. Which they do.

Part 4 my ass.

edit: and what's the assassins creed hype about?
I never played it, so I have to give them the benefit of doubt, but I watched the "making of" and some developer commentary, too. I watched people playing it... and I have to say it looks horribad, and the AI really really seems dissapointing to me. the fighting, the running.... truly horrible. The devs sound like a bunch of hip and trendy retards that oozed out of a mac advertisement, too. Truly different from listening to the TF2 dev commentary, for instance. You really can hear some proper thoughts there. 

:o What am I missing?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 09:21:11 am by Puck »

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2009, 09:31:10 am »

Combat was horrible, the plot was... Dan Brown.  The quests were horribly repetitive mini-games.

The parkour was a LOT of fun.  It was neat just watching him move.  Very similar to Prince of Persia in fact.  (Not that new PoS they fosted off on us, either... The old fun ones)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2009, 11:56:00 am »

System Shock 2 Co-Op had major issues.  Honestly I couldn't imagine enjoying it, much less playing it at all, if I wasn't already a huge SS2 fan.

I want this L4D, as soon as the price drops back down to that really cheap weekend level.  Apparently they found exactly how much people are willing to pay for a game like that, and the number is $20-$25 or whatever and not a cent more, even once it's proven to be good.

How long is that game anyway?
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
  • Sometimes you have to step back to appreciate art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2009, 12:03:47 pm »

System Shock 2 Co-Op had major issues.  Honestly I couldn't imagine enjoying it, much less playing it at all, if I wasn't already a huge SS2 fan.

I want this L4D, as soon as the price drops back down to that really cheap weekend level.  Apparently they found exactly how much people are willing to pay for a game like that, and the number is $20-$25 or whatever and not a cent more, even once it's proven to be good.

How long is that game anyway?

It's only four 'Chapters', which are quite short. But the replayability value is huge. Enemies spawn in different places each time, things happen in different orders, massively centered on Co-Op gameplay, etc.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2009, 01:20:53 pm »

I'll have to agree with one of the above posters and say Sins of a Solar Empire. That or Sword of the Stars. I guess it's obvious that I like 4X games.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2009, 01:31:01 pm »

System Shock 2 Co-Op had major issues.
Actually the most recent version has just one small issue, theres a small desynch that can happen. That problem is easily solved by just save/reloading on the spot; took us a while to find out.

The other one is a possibly gamebreaking logic bug close to the end of the game. Took us also some time to find out, but all you have to do is to just let player one finish that section (the other players lose only about 60 secs of gameplay that way), while the rest waits. That happens at the missiles you have to use as ladders.

Rest works fine. But still. there is lost vikings, which is definetly a more creative way of making use of coop. I never played that game alone, its just so much more fun with friends.

About l4d: even with the director AI making the levels "indefinetly" replayable the maps get old quick. Once everybody knows where to go without thinking it loses a lot of appeal to me. I hope this will improve once the custom maps will get a more... approachable implementation.

But yeah, its definetly worth 20 bucks.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2009, 02:22:02 pm »

Probably 'fat chance' on this, but is there a Linux version of L4D out there?  It would be a ton of fun to play with my horror-movie-fan fiancee in co-op, but she only runs Linux...

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2009, 03:03:42 pm »

Fat chance is right. Source games supposedly run under Wine well, though. Performance was terrible for me, but that's not saying much as the computer I tested on was a piece of crap.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2009, 03:13:06 pm »

Avoiding the flaming going on...

I'm just leave this here - http://www.moddb.com/events/2008-mod-of-the-year-awards/features/players-choice-best-released-mod

Check out these different lists as well -
http://www.moddb.com/events/2008-mod-of-the-year-awards/features

To be honest, IMO the best game released in 2008 is Mount & Blade, hands down. Despite the fact that it was unfinished... OH GOD THE MODS.

L4D is alright, for hardcore COOP play I'd still prefer something like Armed Assault with ACE mod or BF2: Project Reality though. They're like the DF of FPS.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 03:16:31 pm by KaelGotDwarves »

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2009, 04:33:14 pm »

To be honest, IMO the best game released in 2008 is Mount & Blade, hands down. Despite the fact that it was unfinished... OH GOD THE MODS.

It's a decent game, but it's hella boring after a short period to be honest. The combat is excellent, but pretty much that's it. The strategical/tactical part of the game is very basic and primitive...Or maybe it's just me who has this problem with the game?

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2009, 04:50:39 pm »

Released?  I've had that game (M&B) for like six years at least.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2009, 04:52:22 pm »

Best GTA Game: Saints Row 2 :P
Best Movie: Metal Gear Solid 4
Best Tactical/Strategy RPG: Valkyria Chronicle
Best Music Game: Rock Band 2

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2009, 05:17:12 pm »

Released?  I've had that game (M&B) for like six years at least.

v1.0 has been published by Paradox.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/847/847595p1.html

Paradox Interactive Signs Much Awaited Mount & Blade

January 24, 2008 - Paradox Interactive announced today great news for all fans of medieval combat title Mount & Blade. After several years in BETA, the game is close to completion and scheduled for a worldwide release during Q2, 2008.
Pages: 1 [2] 3