Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Couple of questions about a new creature.  (Read 1753 times)

gumball135

• Bay Watcher
  • [ROBOTS]
    • View Profile
Couple of questions about a new creature.
« on: March 12, 2009, 01:35:48 pm »

I've been thinking about making my own (personal) mod for a good while now, but I only got around to it now. But, thing is, I'm unsure about a couple of tags I added. Can you guys/gals check these out, please? Thankee kindly.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I've also added [BUILDINGDESTROYER:1]. When I've added the entity file and they start sieging me, will they just go all out for my buildings, or will their first priority be killing the dwarves?

How much do personality tags really affect the creature? I mean, if I used [PERSONALITY:ANGER:100:100:100], would they be berserk all the time or anything?

What would be the best combination of [FAT:?], [LAYERING:?] etc. so it would survive in a larger variety of areas?

Will [trAPAVOID] make the creature immune to cage traps, too? I'd still like to have arena fights. :P

That's all for now. I might have some more questions when I make the entity. Thanks in advance! :)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 01:50:14 pm by gumball135 »
You could start a zoo and end up with a natural history museum, I'm sure no one would mind.

gumball135

• Bay Watcher
  • [ROBOTS]
    • View Profile
Re: Couple of questions about a new creature.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 11:26:25 am »

Bumpety bump bump bump.

Thanks katie. :D
You could start a zoo and end up with a natural history museum, I'm sure no one would mind.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 11:47:01 am »

For the body questions, the horns are a body part just like any other in that instance, so they can be wounded just the same as hands and feet. Also, those attacks will work just fine, though they are rather powerful.

For the buildingdestroyer question, I think that they would put both of those things on about the same priority, and just go for whatever one is closer. I am not sure though.

Some of the personality tags can affect creatures a lot, but not quite that much. Setting a creature to have a higher anger in its personality will cause it to go berserk more and make it easier for it to 'fly into a rage', but it will not make it be a constant thing, not even at 100.

[FAT:?] doesn't have anything to do with a creatures ability to survive hot and cold temperatures, it just determines how much fat a creature drops when butchered. For a larger range of temperatures, I have found that [LAYERING:50] is probably the best, allowing creatures to survive in some of the colder temperature zones without really reducing their ability to live in the hotter ones. Any more than that and they will probably start to not be able to live in some of the hotter deserts. For a creature that can survive anywhere, add the [COLDDAM:0] and [HEATDAM:12567] tags. That will create a creature that is completely immune to basically all temperature effects, short of being immersed in magma.

In my experience, [trAPAVOID] will allow creatures to avoid all traps except pressure plates except for cage traps. In the event of cage traps, it seems to reduce the chance of being caught to a percentage. As for the escaping, I have no idea.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

gumball135

• Bay Watcher
  • [ROBOTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 04:18:17 pm »

Ahh. Thanks a bunch! ;D

gumball135

• Bay Watcher
  • [ROBOTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 12:59:22 pm »

Alrighty, I have a couple of more questions. Sorry for being such a pain :P

1) I know that for a creature's land speed, the lower the value the faster they are, but what about water speed? The default value is 2500, so should I make it lower, or higher?

2) How can I make a set of weapons specifically for a certain race? Or is that possible? The creatures are much bigger than the default races, so it shouldn't be a problem anyway, but I'd like to make sure.

3) I know (read as: heard) that goblins are sometimes led into battle by demons. Is it possible to make a power just for the race? By that, I mean that I wouldn't want it leading the goblins, or the race being led by some demons.

Just so you know, I'm basing the race on the Trollocs from The Wheel of Time books. The "power" that I'm talking about would be the Myrddraal. Any other fans of the books here? :P

Thanks!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 02:30:25 pm »

Awesome book series.

1) Swimming speed works exactly the same as the normal speed tag, with their speed multiplier equaling 1000/speed #. It just happens that the average swim speed is 2.5 times slower than the average walking speed.

2) This lies in the entity files. If you give a race the [WEAPON:xxxx] tag in their entity file, than they can use that weapon. Give a weapon to only one race, and they will be the only race that will use that weapon. The only exception to this is your Fortresses and Adventurers. In both of those, it will be possible for a dwarf or whatever your adventurer to pick up a weapon and gain skill, if the size tags allow. That is currently hardcoded, though.

3) If you create a power creature and align it's [SPHERE:?] tags perfectly with the religion spheres of a civilization, than it will lead that civilization. However, if there is any crossover of another race's religions at all, even if it is just a [SPHERE_ALIGNMENT:XX:1], than there will be a small chance of the Power leading that civilization as well.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

gumball135

• Bay Watcher
  • [ROBOTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 04:25:01 pm »

Thanks again, roy. I owe you big time :P

gumball135

• Bay Watcher
  • [ROBOTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2009, 01:35:58 pm »

Arrrghhh. Sorry guys. I thought that I'd gotten the Trollocs fixed up nice and handy, but when they finally came to siege in my test fort, they were all invisible.

"Fine," I said to myself, "it's just something to do with the new tile colour I set them. I'll just change it back to the default "goblin" colour and see how things are then,"

But it's still not working. Now that they're on the map, is it too late to change their colours again?

I had the tag as something like [COLOR:6:0:1] or [COLOR:6:1:0], but it just ain't workin'. I'll fiddle around with the tag and just hope for the best.

Thanks again ::)

EDIT: If it's any help, I just discovered that their tiles plain black.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 01:47:48 pm by gumball135 »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2009, 01:02:23 am »

Can we have a copy of the code for the Trollocs, if we are able to see how you have it set up it will probably help us to determine what is wrong.

gumball135

• Bay Watcher
  • [ROBOTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2009, 05:16:11 am »

Code: [Select]
[CREATURE:TROLLOC]
[NAME:trolloc:trollocs:trollOC]
[TILE:T][COLOR:3:0:0]
[GENPOWER:2]
[EVIL]
[CAN_CIV][SLOW_LEARNER][LIKES_FIGHTING]
[BONECARN]
[NOFEAR][STOUT][NOEXERT]
[CANOPENDOORS]
[CARNIVORE]
[PREFSTRING:strength]
[PREFSTRING:large horns]
[PREFSTRING:terrifying features]
[BODY:HUMANOID:2EYES:2EARS:NOSE:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:HUMANOID_JOINTS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:5FINGERS:5TOES:MOUTH:2HEAD_HORN]
[ATTACK:MAIN:BYTYPE:GRASP:slash:slashes:5:10:SLASH][ATTACKFLAG_WITH][ATTACKFLAG_CANLATCH]
[ATTACK:MAIN:BYTYPE:HEAD:headbutt:headbutts:6:12:BLUDGEON][ATTACKFLAG_WITH]
[CHILD:12][BABY:1]
[LITTERSIZE:5:15]
[SIZE:10]
[FAT:8]
[BLOODTYPE:Y]
[EQUIPS]
[DAMBLOCK:6]
[NOCTURNAL]
[EXTRAVISION]
[GRASSTRAMPLE:50]
[BUILDINGDESTROYER:1]
[TRAPAVOID]
[SPEED:1000]
[MAXAGE:150:200]
[LISP]
[HAMMERMAN_NAME:crusher:crushers]
[SPEARMAN_NAME:poker:pokers]
[BOWMAN_NAME:tracker:trackers]
[MACEMAN_NAME:basher:bashers]
[SWORDSMAN_NAME:cutter:cutters]
[AXEMAN_NAME:ripper:rippers]
[PIKEMAN_NAME:slashhook:slashhookers]
[STANDARD_FLESH]
[HOMEOTHERM:10067]
[LAYERING:50]
[SWIMS_LEARNED][SWIM_SPEED:2750]
[PERSONALITY:ANGER:20:60:100]
[PERSONALITY:IMMODERATION:20:60:100]
[PERSONALITY:EXCITEMENT_SEEKING:80:90:100]
[PERSONALITY:ACTIVITY_LEVEL:70:85:100]
[PERSONALITY:CHEERFULNESS:0:40:90]
[PERSONALITY:ALTRUISM:0:50:100]
[PERSONALITY:SYMPATHY:0:5:10]
[PERSONALITY:VULNERABILITY:0:5:10]
[PERSONALITY:ANXIETY:0:10:20]
[PERSONALITY:FRIENDLINESS:50:75:100]
[PERSONALITY:ASSERTIVENESS:100:100:100]
[PERSONALITY:DUTIFULNESS:0:25:50]

From now on, I think I should just address all of my questions at you :P Thanks. I went searching through the error log, and I'd mis-spelled the homeotherm tag as hameotherm. Doubt it would make a difference. Anywho, I'm going to gen a new world and see how things are now.

Thanks.

As I've said about 100 times now.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2009, 10:38:13 am »

I can't see anything wrong with this, do they have [AMBUSHER] in their entity file?

gumball135

• Bay Watcher
  • [ROBOTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2009, 12:07:09 pm »

No... Maybe I have to re-gen the world and start a new fort before they'll come up properly again. I'll give it a shot now. Thanks SO much roy. You really are my modding god.

*Deep bow*

Kilumanjaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2009, 09:07:49 pm »

Just a stab in the dark here, but doesn't the [TILE:T] line need to be [TILE:"T"].

That should clear up the "invisible trolloc trick. 
byw, Love the Books, can't wait for Brandon Sanderson's Finale.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2009, 11:40:57 pm »

Your right, that should do the trick. I can't wait for the last book either, I can only hope that the new author can live up to the previous book's standards. Lucky that Jordan had the book already half written, though, with at least notes on every scene in the minimum.

gumball135

• Bay Watcher
  • [ROBOTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2009, 05:20:11 am »

Thanks. I'll give it a shot.

I'm currently "re-reading" books 1-4, seeing as the story has gotten a bit hazy after I took a couple of months break from reading them.
Pages: [1] 2