Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Neutering!  (Read 4677 times)

nichaey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Neutering!
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2009, 03:16:10 pm »

I think that proper pregnancy would not be that hard for Toady to implement.All that would have to be done is.
When a female is ready to mate the nearest male of her species tries to path to her. If he make it then she's pregnant. If he can't path then he has to wait for her next 'ovulation'.

Plus this could lead to some interesting new scenarios rise up. As caravan animals might decide to storm your fortress for a little 'fun', and not the losing kind
Blood For The Blood God!......Skulls For His Skull Throne!

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2009, 03:23:36 pm »

Lol!

Keep your human horses away from our dwarven horses!
Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach

nichaey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2009, 03:37:28 pm »

or......you could make some elaborate merchant stealing device

DDDHXXXXXXXXHM

D= trade depot
H= lockable dorr
M=ovulating animal
X= deathtrap
Blood For The Blood God!......Skulls For His Skull Throne!

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2009, 04:12:03 pm »

Merchant animals fleeing/thrashing about would be another good reason to protect your depots; I could see kobolds ambushing a caravan, the cart is shaken around, and they grab some stuff and haul ass while they try to calm down the horses.

One has to ask, however, if we apply proper mating behavior to animals, will we use the same or a different system for dwarves? Not to mention the dreaded anatomical correctness issue... there's very few polite ways to say PENIS.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2009, 05:15:31 pm »

One has to ask, however, if we apply proper mating behavior to animals, will we use the same or a different system for dwarves? Not to mention the dreaded anatomical correctness issue... there's very few polite ways to say PENIS.

There's plenty of ways to be discreet about it.  For animals, they can just arrange a "meeting," occupy the same tile momentarily, and go about their business.  I suppose the announcements could get a little weird though: "War dog cancels accompany master: In heat" or whatever.  For dwarves it's even easier, since they already share beds.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2009, 05:31:56 pm »

We should be able to neuter intelligent races as well!!!

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2009, 05:40:29 pm »

I want to spay a couple nobles....
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2009, 06:00:06 pm »

Spaying intelligents would be interresting.

I need some highpitched male-voices singing in faux Latin to the execution of my evil plans.

No seriously the spaying humans was often done by some Religions (its a cross with them i know) and many Slaves were neutered to make them more peacefull. As punishment it was also used. Famous are the eunuchs guarding the Harems of the Sultans.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2009, 06:03:15 pm »

I know an  OotS reference when I see one!

They're the best when they're snipped fresh each morning :D

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2009, 06:12:40 pm »

Maybe maybe not. I think to establish a realistic anti-breeding system, you'd have to first establish a realistic breeding system.

With the game how it is, a basic breed/don't breed screen "should" be an easy to use placeholder and "should" allow the breed/don't breed methods to be tested

I know that, but that doesn't take into account what I had just said: That Toady generally doesn't LIKE to implement placeholders that'll end up replaced anyway.

As far as sex between intelligent creatures is concerned, I think Toady has mentioned it euphemistically before when talking about relationships in general. Might be on the dev pages somewhere.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2009, 07:17:23 pm »

I need some highpitched male-voices singing in faux Latin to the execution of my evil plans.

Finished off various aspects of style/voice/chin/body sentences.

This may well be possible. I wonder if other injuries could affect voices - I.E. throatpunches making you raspy.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2009, 09:08:34 am »

Wouldn't neutering animals be really tedious? I don't really see how it's useful unless you want to completely curb reproduction and buy the cats instead

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2009, 09:12:10 am »

People with wuss computers think that 2-3 hundred cats are a problem, while 5-10 is ok.  Limiting them to a single breeding female would control that without you having to constantly butcher them

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2009, 09:34:43 am »

People with wuss computers think that 2-3 hundred cats are a problem, while 5-10 is ok.  Limiting them to a single breeding female would control that without you having to constantly butcher them

I'd love to see the computer that can run a DF with 300 cats and still get 90+ FPS.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2009, 09:42:21 am »

That's good, but I'd prefer a more realistic solution anyway, honestly.

I don't think a universal "allow animals to breed" option would be that great, since if you want animals to breed, often it'll just be certain ones anyway.

Well yeah, neutering would be realistic, but it would be "too much" imo, if you know what I mean...so I support praguepride's "Allow pets to breed Y/N" idea.
Pages: 1 [2] 3