Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Finding old Fortresses  (Read 1089 times)

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Finding old Fortresses
« on: March 12, 2009, 04:01:07 am »

Is there any way to locate your abandoned fortresses from in adventure mode?  I cannot for the life of me remember where my fortress was, and I really wanted to try exploring it...
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Finding old Fortresses
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 04:29:56 am »

You could try opening up Legends and poking through the historical maps -- it's a fullscreen display with everything revealed, so your fortress might be easier to find.

Ametsala

• Bay Watcher
  • "needs chocolate to get through the working day"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 04:34:35 am »

Ask (almost) anyone about surroundings enough and they'll eventually point you in the right direction.
Sometimes the NPC wont tell you what you want to know after dozens of questions so you should ask someone else. This was the 5th time I asked:
Rigòth Kilruddodók Oltarsebïr Budam, Hammer Lord: Tell me about this area.
Sasir Penamesm, Mayor: Hamecurl is far to the south.
Sasir Penamesm, Mayor: In the early spring if 1051, The Savage Gates of The Road of Boring founded Hamecurl.
So I'd head south and ask again in the next town. I'm not sure but after being told that a site's somewhere, you should check the 'Q'->'s' for sites and see if the place is there (usually at the bottom of the list). Then you could 'z'oom to it.

The year 1051 and the season spring are giveaways about Hamecurl being a fort founded by the player. More recently generated (small) worlds will probably have the year 201 because world generation stops when enough megabeasts have died and they die easy.

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 05:38:27 am »

Thanks!
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 07:23:06 am »

you can also go into dwarf fortress mode, and it will show you exactly where your old forts are on the embark screen. though some consider this cheating.