Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: New Constitutional Amendments  (Read 7939 times)

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
Re: New Constitutional Amendments
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2009, 06:04:42 am »

Well, not really NEW persay, but the game seems to have forgotten you can't be tried after the fact.

I burnt a flag once, it became illegal ~5 years later.

I was dating someone (cameraperson?), but they were a spy, and I was soon tried for the burnination of said flag.

EDIT: I also went to jail for 24 years.

That has to be a bug. You can't trial someone for a crime that wasn't illegal when they did it.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Blank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2009, 08:26:51 am »

To second what someone else mentioned in one of these threads over the past few months, you really are not funny, Yanlin. Also, I think you are continually confusing real life/how the real world functions, and this game.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2009, 08:29:58 am »

To second what someone else mentioned in one of these threads over the past few months, you really are not funny, Yanlin. Also, I think you are continually confusing real life/how the real world functions, and this game.

Really? Because I'm pretty sure that when it's the other way around, it's PERFECTLY fine! A man who was arrested for possession of something restricted which a few months after his arrest became legal was refused to be let out of prison because he committed the crime when it was illegal. It works both ways.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2009, 04:09:26 pm »

Well, not really NEW persay, but the game seems to have forgotten you can't be tried after the fact.

I was dating someone (cameraperson?), but they were a spy, and I was soon tried for the burnination of said flag.

The game gives you automatic amnesnty if you commit something illegal, and then it becomes legal. So you burn the flag in a C+ society, and then burning the flag becomes legal, you won't be tried for burning the flag in the past. It doesn't seem to it the other way around though. Hm...

I think I know how to fix it though.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2009, 06:09:37 pm »

I'm surprised it doesn't already give you amnesty for it. It should be purging your record of non-illegal crimes every night.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2009, 07:48:55 am »

The game gives you automatic amnesnty if you commit something illegal, and then it becomes legal. So you burn the flag in a C+ society, and then burning the flag becomes legal, you won't be tried for burning the flag in the past. It doesn't seem to it the other way around though. Hm...

I think I know how to fix it though.

Really? Is that honestly how it works in the real world?
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2009, 07:58:06 am »

It's very explicitly stated in the U.S. constitution that you can not be found guilty of a crime if it was not yet a crime when you committed it.  There are also safeguards in the constitution against subverting this rule leading to "grandfathering" for example. 

There was even a recent supreme court case that demonstrated this rule very clearly.  The court decided 8-1 that middleschools couldn't perform strip searches on students based on the level of evidence of the case in question.  However, they also decided 6-3 that in the case brought before them, the school officials were immune from criminal persecution for this illegal action because it was not clearly established that the search was illegal when it was performed.  However now that this case is in the books, school officials doing the exact same thing are liable in criminal court.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 08:05:23 am by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2009, 09:14:17 am »

It's very explicitly stated in the U.S. constitution that you can not be found guilty of a crime if it was not yet a crime when you committed it.  There are also safeguards in the constitution against subverting this rule leading to "grandfathering" for example. 

There was even a recent supreme court case that demonstrated this rule very clearly.  The court decided 8-1 that middleschools couldn't perform strip searches on students based on the level of evidence of the case in question.  However, they also decided 6-3 that in the case brought before them, the school officials were immune from criminal persecution for this illegal action because it was not clearly established that the search was illegal when it was performed.  However now that this case is in the books, school officials doing the exact same thing are liable in criminal court.

But those who done it before it was illegal are not being charged for it, right? This is exactly how the game should work.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2009, 10:48:49 am »

But those who done it before it was illegal are not being charged for it, right? This is exactly how the game should work.

Precisely.

From Section 9 of Article 1 of the U.S. constitution:
"...No bill of attainder or ex post facto Law shall be passed...." (emphasis added.)

ex post facto, i.e. no law after the fact.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2009, 02:41:10 pm »

I knew I was right! My law instincts are too high to fail me!

Incidentally, OBJECTION!
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2009, 05:48:59 pm »

So it isn't that you can't be sent to court it is that you should win.

Can I ask that Flagburning be put into three categories?

1) Not Criminal: You can do it
2) Minor Offense: You get charged or do community service
3) Major offense: Jail time

Some aspects of this game is odd because they go from "Serious crime" straight to "Perfectly fine" and while that can happen it is a bit weird.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2009, 06:01:09 pm »

It is in three categories, actually, but they aren't the categories you mention.

The categories are:

1) Not Criminal: You can do it
2) Major offense: Jail time
3) Equivalent to murder: Death penalty?

LCS doesn't have a mechanic for a stance that amounts to less than x amount of jail time; it could just give you a warning every time, but otherwise there would have to be a new punishment. One possibility is to set the sentence to zero, but change "this is a warning" to a sentence to time served (you are sentenced to x time in jail; you've already spent the last x time in jail; we'll call the last two months in the legal system punishment enough for your crimes).

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2009, 06:16:55 pm »

Maybe make Minor offenses 0-7 days in jail? 0 being let off with a warning.

Then again I guess a sane legal system is against what LCS is about... which is being insane in an insane world in an attempt to make it go differently insane through sex and violence.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2009, 07:46:12 pm »

If we're looking for a minor punishment, I like the "time served" route. A fine + time served would work too.

Capital Fish

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hi Mister Dog!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2009, 08:55:52 pm »

Somebody mentioned community service for minor offences. There's an option for that under "Activities". If a liberal is charged with a minor offence, maybe it could be set so that they would still be present in your squad, but they would have to spend a specific number of days performing community service before a set date, or they would be re-arrested and sent to court?
Find the errors in the above post and win a prize!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5