Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: New Constitutional Amendments  (Read 7931 times)

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
New Constitutional Amendments
« on: March 11, 2009, 10:00:22 pm »

Add your ideas for Constitutional Amendments here! I can't guarantee they'll go in, but having more amendments would make the game more interesting.

Please suggest the text of the proposed amendment and any gameplay effects it will have. If the vote should be based on people's views of a specific issue or law, specify that as well.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: New Constitutional Amendments
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 10:38:02 pm »

Amendment: Animals are People Too!
Trigger: Animal rights is L+.  Elite Liberals control the House and Senate.
Effect: Animals are given all rights of humans under the Constitution.

Maybe some of the characters now have "Purple Gorilla" as their secret job?
Not sure what else.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 10:41:00 pm »

I don't know. Amendments are very hard to pull off and they seem like the endgame, if a Elite Liberal or an Arch-Conservatives gets an amendment passed, they win the game basically.

That why I didn't post any amendment. I know that each Crime Squad must have their own Amendment to ram through, though.

Euchre is right that the whole idea of the "National LCS" starts causing different things...
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 10:44:53 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 10:52:25 pm »

That's how amendments are now in the game, but it's not how they are in reality. The US Constitution has been amended on average once every 13 years, if you ignore the first ten amendments which were passed together shortly after the Constitution itself was ratified. At no time since this first ten have the revisions been so revolutionary as the existing "win the game" amendments. Generally they are more narrow, affecting a specific issue: Essentially placing limits on the position various issues may take. For example, an amendment may prevent the Gay Rights issue from going fully Liberal (such an amendment was proposed and defeated only a few years ago), or fully Conservative.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 10:54:21 pm by Jonathan S. Fox »

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 10:57:57 pm »

Alright. I see your point. Make the game more realistic (maybe). I am assuming the 'win-condition' amendments will remain, right?

Amendment: Defense of Domestic Tranquillity
Trigger=
Freedom of Speech Laws: Moderate or lower
Gun Laws: Moderate or Higher (Possibly? I do desire for this amendment to apply to the other Crime Squads...)

Effect: ALL LCS people are charged with the crime of belonging to an "illegal organization", alongside with any other potential crimes. Being in an "illegal organization" is a crime that sentences you to 5 years in prison, at a minimum.

EDIT: This might not really work...as, er, if the LCS is popular enough, it would be rather unlikely that the LCS would get "offically" banned.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 11:03:33 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Guy Montag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 11:23:05 pm »

I always thought that new Constitutional amendments was just one of the presumed things being implimented when issues change ideology.

Its not like the constitution cannot be un-amended or changed any number of ways untill it is reversed all together. Prohibition and all of that.

I'm guessing gameplay wise, once an amendment is made (or in place) it becomes very resistant to change. This could be a cool feature for the 2nd amendment, that could prevent the Gun laws from swinging into Elite Liberal status untill the 2nd amendment is abolished. It'd help the player maintain access to firearms from the pawn shop while also extending the length and difficulty of the late game.

Also the 1st amendment could be one of the last liberal freedoms to be abolished before the free speech policy swings into Arch Conservative status.

My suggestion for new admendments would be the obvious "nuclear-free zone" like European nations have in their constituions that bans anything with the world "nuclear" in it.

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 11:33:01 pm »

Mini-Amendments sound like a good idea.

The # Amendment: Regulated Police, and such

With fun little text descriptors?
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 11:36:16 pm »

No the last liberal amendment to be over turned should be the third, not the first.  The text of the amendment should label spite as the reason.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 12:00:55 am »

Note that all amendments are displayed in full prior to being voted on, so they should all have the text of the amendment. For example, the one I'm adding to make the endgame easier by making Congress easier to convert is:

In light of the Conservative nature of entrenched politicians and the corrupting influence of incumbency on the democratic process, all members of the House of Representatives and Senate shall henceforth be limited to one term in office.  This shall be immediately enforced by holding elections to replace all members of Congress upon the ratification of this amendment.

This is the amendment that causes you to lose the game:

In recognition of the fact that society is degenerating under the pressure of the elite liberal threat, WE THE PEOPLE HEREBY REPEAL THE CONSTITUTION.  The former United States are to be reorganized into the CONFEDERATED STATES OF AMERICA, with new boundaries to be determined by leading theologians.

Ronald Reagan is to be King, forever, even after death.

The following Executive Officers are also chosen in perpetuity: Vice President Strom Thurmond, Secretary of State Jesse Helms, and Attorney General Jerry Falwell.

In the event of the deaths of any of the aforementioned persons, though they shall still nominally hold these posts, actual decisions shall be made by business representatives, chosen by respected business leaders.

People may petition Jesus for a redress of grievances, as He will be the only one listening.

Have a nice day.

This is the amendment that purges the Supreme Court:

The following former citizens are branded Arch-Conservative:

[Names of all non-Elite Liberal Supreme Court Justices]

In particular, the aforementioned former citizens may not serve on the Supreme Court.  Said former citizens will be deported to Conservative countries of the President' choosing to be replaced by Proper Justices, also of the President's choosing with the advice and consent of the Senate.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 12:15:18 am »

Quote from: Repeal the 3rd
In light of the fact that some so called citizens still don't get it, prohibitions on the quartering of troops are hereby repealed.  In order to fully express our spite, anyone found guilty of liberalism will have their home and any other property they own subject to seizure by the military, without appeal.
Have a nice day.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 07:31:23 am by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2009, 04:55:25 am »

Repeal the 2nd:

In light of the threat posed by radical terrorist groups, we, the people of the United States of America, no longer feel it is neccessary to continue on with the barbaric practice of having firearms available to civilians. To ensure our country remains safe from threats within as well as without, we strike down a part of the Constitution that has been with us since the days of earliest colonization, one that no longer applies in today's modern, tamed, and safe world. We hereby repeal the Second Amendment to the Constitution.
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2009, 05:11:14 am »

I'd imagine that repealing the 2nd would be an Elite Liberal amendment that enables L+ gun control, or prevents the Supreme Court from ruling in favor of C on that issue.

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2009, 05:41:09 am »

Yes, I know, that's one of the amendments that would be a _good_ thing for the LCS. :D
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

Oksbad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2009, 11:52:40 am »

I'm tempted to suggest that:

No C+ free speech without repealing the first amendment

"In light of rampant hurtful speech, WE THE PEOPLE hereby revoke the first amendment of the United States constitution. Anybody who engages in hurtful speech will be punished to the fullest extent of the law. Have a nice day."

No L+ Gun Control without repealing the second amendment.

(see Jetman's post)

No C+ Death penalty without repealing the 8th (cruel and unusual punishment)

No C+ privacy without repealing the 4th

Furthermore

Repealing the third amendment (quartering of troops) causes any police raid to immediately start form the "National guard" stage

Repealing the fourth amendment (unwarranted search and seizure) means police don't need warrants and this causes more raids

Repealing the fifth ("double jeopardy", right to silence) means that your men are more likely to crack under police interrogation, meaning they have more evidence against them, making it harder for them  to get off on a trail or making them more likely to testify against you. Also, any crime out get aquited of has a %40 chance to remain on your record.

Repealing the sixth (Rights of the accused, right to speedy trial, right to council etc.) means that police can prevent you from having a lawyer with them, causing the same effect as repealing the fifth. The police can take as long as they like without taking you to court, possibly torturing you for info/decreasing your stats if cop regulation is C+. If you are lucky enough to get a trail, then you wont be able to receive a free lawyer.

Thoughts?

Although that gives the CSS more restrictions on victory, 3 vs 1, it gives the conservatives much more ways to tip the balance in their favor by repealing core amendments.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 02:54:17 pm by Oksbad »
I always just found it peculiar that the police are always able to pin the crime on you 100 percent of the time. The fact that organized crime rings exist at all without being bombed to hell by the national guard is evidence enough that this is not strictly the case in reality.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2009, 12:21:44 pm »

Remember, there may be other organizations other than the CCS.

Anyway, text.
Amendment: Defense of Domestic Tranquillity
Trigger=
Freedom of Speech Laws: Moderate or lower
Gun Laws: Moderate or Higher (Possibly? I do desire for this amendment to apply to the other Crime Squads...)

Due to the rise of terrorist groups that threaten to overthrow the domestic tranquillity of our nation by using military force, it is necessary that extreme measures must be taken so as to safeguard our American Democracy from coercive influences. Therefore, we repeal the FIRST AMENDMENT and place proper guidelines by which all organizations must follow. If an organization violates either the spirit or the letter of these guidelines, the organization is hereby BANNED, and anyone who associates with said organization will be punished to the fullest extent of the law.

This law applies to the Conservative Crime Squad too, so don't you Liberals start complaining.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 12:23:18 pm by Servant Corps »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5