Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Miasma details.  (Read 2496 times)

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Miasma details.
« on: March 11, 2009, 06:16:06 pm »

It would be very useful if we could hit 'enter' on a miasma while inspecting objects on a space, and view its details as we do with physical objects -- specifically, of course, it would be nice if we could (from the 'miasma details screen') then zoom to its source so we can figure out what's going on.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Scope

• Bay Watcher
  • tophats, oh tophats.
    • View Profile
Re: Miasma details.
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 06:47:14 pm »

When one of your friends' farts, d you know exactly when the stench cloud has formed? No.

When you smell smoke, do you know exactly where the acual molecules of the smell are? No.

Miasma is the same. It shouldn't be the roach remains to the right of the kitchen are smelling. It should be "aw shit" something wreeking up mah kitchen.

See what I'm going at?

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 10:14:54 pm »

Yes I do.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 02:43:59 am »

I like the idea of descriptions for things like this in general- I have a feeling all sorts of things will have styles and such.   Like the stench being described, or the clouds of mist being described, etc.   Stuff like this adds detail which is nice.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 03:00:29 am »

Should roach remains really smell so much?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 04:03:02 am »

No they shouldn't.

# Req325, PUNGENT BUGS, (Future): Dead insects and really small things shouldn't create miasma. But dead rodents should still stink.

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 09:55:10 am »

No they shouldn't.

# Req325, PUNGENT BUGS, (Future): Dead insects and really small things shouldn't create miasma. But dead rodents should still stink.

Thank goodness. I had a roach infestation once... just once. All the dwarves suffocated to death.
Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 10:18:27 am »

When one of your friends' farts, d you know exactly when the stench cloud has formed? No.

When you smell smoke, do you know exactly where the acual molecules of the smell are? No.

Miasma is the same. It shouldn't be the roach remains to the right of the kitchen are smelling. It should be "aw shit" something wreeking up mah kitchen.

See what I'm going at?
The problem is that right now, players can -- and often must, if they want to do something about the miasma quickly -- pause time, then go over the area it covers squares by square until they find its source, then order it dumped.

That is annoying.  If you don't think players should be able to find the source of a miasma, they shouldn't be able to do it.

(And, actually, if you've ever dealt with an actual decaying mouse -- it generally doesn't take that long to follow the scent to the general space where it originates from.)
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 10:23:25 am »

Look for that huge [25] rotten elephant meat stack
Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 12:58:21 pm »

Look for that huge [25] rotting zelephant meat stack.
yeah, the one beside the -rotting giant rat skin-. you know, in the dining room, beside the tanners workshop? oh, it's right over there! I know it smells worse when you get closer, that's why your getting rid of it... them... all of them... you know what, cog, i don't like you. i'll take care of it myself... no wait, i think your right about the smell. i can't do it, you do.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 10:18:18 pm »

You can watch the cloud for a bit, the source will have extremely bright colored purple, but as it fades away from there the tiles take on the grainy type look of partially mined walls, and looks a deeper shade.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2009, 10:21:51 pm »

Animals that are alive should smell aswell. Have you ever smelt a wet hedgehog or a male goat?

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2009, 10:37:56 pm »

Ferrets and rats  :( but they arent as bad as miasma and i think washing 100+ animals a year gets a bit messy if you dont have some kind of animal washing machine.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2009, 10:42:00 pm »

Animals that are alive should smell aswell. Have you ever smelt a wet hedgehog or a male goat?

This is already supported, kind of.  Zombies emit miasma.  However since miasma doesn't spread in outdoor areas, most people never see it.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2009, 11:08:26 pm »

Hmm. Maybe ogres should be able to eat zombies while they're still alive. It would be flavorful.
Pages: [1] 2