Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Suggestion - Fortify walls  (Read 705 times)

strich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Suggestion - Fortify walls
« on: March 11, 2009, 03:27:31 am »

Please excuse this if its already been suggested. I'm only new to this wonderful game.

One thing I found immediately disappointing with DF was the apparent lack of depth in mining in of itself. Dwarves mine rock like they have pnunamic drills attached to their heads and there doesn''t appear to be any fortifying of walls after said tunnel has been dug. The game Dungeon Keeper is bought to mind when I think of this. That game had a system where one would mine out normal rock walls fairly quickly but then each wall face had to be fortifyed to keep it sturdy and it would take enemies longer to chip through it. It was also a way to pretty some special rooms.
It would be great if we could fortify and strengthen walls and then be able to apply ornaments such as torches. That would also impact the problem of having Dwarves getting used to darkness and hating light.

But, when I initially decided to start a thread on this I thought it'd be a fairly simple feature to implement. But now that I think of it, it would require an entirely new system. So I guess this thread is not much more than a 'I want this' vote.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestion - Fortify walls
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 06:36:38 am »

Welcome.

The "realistic mining" thread might be interesting for you.

I think that a good, obvious way to implement this is to give stone different hardness according to type. Better quality and material of mining equipment would be needed to break it, so you you're only gradually getting beyond different layers of stone. Skill requirements would also be a possibility.

Reinforcing walls can already be done now in a sense, by building a wall in front of them. In Dungeon Keeper, hard rock isn't diggable at all and there's just soil.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Danaru

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% Manly
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestion - Fortify walls
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 07:26:45 am »

Dwarves mine rock like they have pnunamic drills attached to their heads

they don't?
Odd how "Experiment" in DF is often synonymous with "Raging inferno of death and dispair"