Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cages a bit too sturdy  (Read 742 times)

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cages a bit too sturdy
« on: November 06, 2007, 05:56:00 pm »

I currently have a titan held in a pine cage. I think there should be some things you can't cage.

I watched my dwarves close in for battle, one was immediatly stomped. I watched with anticipation as the Titan neared more dwarves. A hail of bolts flew toward him... Then he walked on my cage trap! I'm dismantling the rest of my cage traps, that was a bit anti-climactic  ;)

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cages a bit too sturdy
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 10:33:00 pm »

I don't think titans are supposed to trigger cage traps.  They didn't in the last version.

Also I'm certain that there will be some sort of material strength thingy going in soon. (hopefully), which should stop us from making our jails out of silk ropes.   :D

This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

MindSnap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 12:40:00 am »

I suppose that eventually only either magical or giant adamantine cages will be able to contain megabeasts.

Razzums

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 08:56:00 am »

Cages can also hold a unlimited amount of animals... Also I flooded this room that had a cage in it with a bunch of animals inside, yeah, not one animal died.
ey
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 09:38:00 am »

Cages holding infinite animals should stay till code is optimized more. It's ridiculous to keep 300 animals in 1 cage true, luckily it doesn't bother them one bit so you don't have to feel cruel; but after a while caging creatures can really give an fps boost, which is often much needed.

Poil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 07:09:00 pm »

Maybe one day it can improved even further so that you can't put an alligator and a horse into the same cage without causing quite a show.
[DEMONLORD]

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 09:57:00 pm »

Not to mention how much keeping animals in cages keeps things clean.  With animals traipsing around, blood, ichor, and crap gets everywhere.  If you limit your pets to cages, only dwarves can track stuff around and it makes the once-in-a-blue-moon cleaning jobs actually clean up the stuff as it appears.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Angela Christine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 11:16:00 pm »

We're getting closer and closer to outdoor corralls being a reasonable option for dwarven cattle ranchers.  You can build a nice wooden wall around a patch of grass, and pretend that it is a fence.  Put a single cage in it, linked to a lever outside the coral, so that you can order dwarfs to put animals in the corral.  Then designate the corral as a gathering area, which will encourage the animals to stay in the corral.  Unfortunately it also encourages dwarfs to hang out there, which is silly.  It would work best if you could split gathering areas into dwarf gathering areas and animal gathering areas.

FPS would still be an issue though.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 11:53:00 pm »

Perhaps creatures placed in a cage that's too weak for them could damage it and eventually escape.  There should be warning messages, though, to give the player time to react and put it in a new cage -- "The bear has damaged its pine cage!"
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One