Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Room Value Relative to Height  (Read 1574 times)

Hague

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I shot web?
    • View Profile
Room Value Relative to Height
« on: April 20, 2008, 03:48:00 pm »

I was thinking that it might be interesting if there was a modifier added to room value relative to height. There could be entity tokens that would dictate whether a civilization gives greater value to being very high in the air and very deep in the ground. This value is relative to embark height +/- 26 as usual. This would only apply to speculated room value and wouldn't actually be included in overall fortress wealth, since the value is relative to how the civilization perceives it.

This could be added in with the new system for rent calculation so that a cultural divide can develop between the deep dwarven nobility and the commoners who live nearer to the surface.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
Re: Room Value Relative to Height
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 04:32:00 pm »

Cool idea!  While we're on the subject, ceiling space might also have an impact.  Being stuck under an 8-foot ceiling is okay for the commoners, but for the dwarf king a 120-foot ceiling is obviously preferable...
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 04:38:00 pm »

This would be awesome! All the more reason for me to carve out all the ceilings in my king's rooms.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 06:33:00 pm »

Would be even nicer... if you could dig up.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

apache1990

• Bay Watcher
  • Arena Master
    • View Profile
    • Bay Watcher Arena V2.0!
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 07:15:00 pm »

Upstairs on your current floor, (up/)down-stairs on the next.  A dwarf will dig the (up/)down-stairs from the floor below.

[ April 20, 2008: Message edited by: apache1990 ]

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 10:58:00 pm »

I don't like this too much.  I have massive fortifications that work best over many z-levels in my fort which causes most of it to be deep underground.  If this were implemented how would my haulers every pay their rent?  But rooms that span multiple z-levels should get a bonus.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 11:33:00 pm »

I tend to put my living quarters on the very bottom floor as a matter of course, so that they're far away from the workshops and most of the mining. I don't see why my dwarves should derive any particular benefit from where their quarters are.

Plus, this would make various challenges (e.g. surface dwellers) pointlessly harder.

Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Hague

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I shot web?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 09:24:00 am »

The value would be relative to the overall price of every room.

That is to say this wouldn't come into effect until rent is rebalanced by value. Toady stated that he intends to make rent balanced. That is, if every room in your fortress is really high value then even the lowliest farmer/hauler can get a nice room. This option would make it so that the kings and nobility would prefer the deeper rooms over the shallower rooms, which would be more affordable. If all your rooms are on the same level then only actual room value would dictate the value of rent. The value multiplier would be relatively small, perhaps 30% increase maximum. The purpose is to create a social dichotomy. The rich humans want to live on the hill overlooking the town, the poor ones all live in the valley.

Also, certain races might not even care about room height and so would not possess the token for height/depth value multiplier. If you didn't like the option you could just remove it from their entity.

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 02:01:00 pm »

I think this is really a good idea.

As far as when to implement:

Rent Rebalance
<---this idea
Burrows Arc