Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Anyone want an ogre? - Stustozosla [Community Ogre Camp]  (Read 3823 times)

Old-Man-Gator

• Bay Watcher
  • Pickled Prawn
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone want an ogre? - Stustozosla [Community Ogre Camp]
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2009, 02:31:47 am »

25th Limestone, Year 4
Early autumn

I spotted ‘Shovel’ talking to one of her tribe today, they appeared to be discussing a bone crown and apparently this artefact, if that is what you could call it, holds some significance for the un-named ogre. He was calling it Spastrumsnexa Nor Xug, a remarkably complicated name if you remember this brutish rabble consider hunting peaceable wildlife with uprooted trees and burning the remains is high art.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In other events, ‘Drunkard’ appears to have taken a shine to an ogre whom I will call ‘Spud’ because of the appearance of his nose. This ‘Spud’ appears to likewise be interest in tromping all over the swamp and pulling up weeds.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 02:42:20 am by Old-Man-Gator »

Old-Man-Gator

• Bay Watcher
  • Pickled Prawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2009, 02:41:43 am »

5th Sandstone, Year 4
Mid-autumn

It seems ‘Bluto’ has finally been given a hut to beat his warriors over the head in. Several ogres have been seen venturing in and out of the structure with various bruises and bloodied features. It would appear ‘Shovel’ is showing a remarkable amount of concern for her little slice of the world and is certainly making efforts to keep it secure.

For now the military, if that is what you could call it, is concerned with wrestling. I would expect the brutes will be issued their trees and primitive armour later.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 02:46:59 am by Old-Man-Gator »

Old-Man-Gator

• Bay Watcher
  • Pickled Prawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2009, 02:50:10 am »

20th Obsidian, Year 4
Late winter

It would appear the ogres are gearing up for a push deeper into the cave. ‘Bluto’ and his bunch have been issued with great clubs and are busy beating each other over the head with them. Meanwhile a relatively new ogre whom I will call ‘Kat’ has been charged with tossing javelins about in a meaningful fashion.

While their wits are still painfully dim, an ogre’s arm is nothing to be taken lightly. A number of kobold thieves have found this out, to their eternal regret.

Old-Man-Gator

• Bay Watcher
  • Pickled Prawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2009, 02:55:08 am »

12th Granite, Year 5
Early spring

Good news and bad today, the good news is one of the herbalists tore a kobold pilferer to pieces. The bad news is one of his fellows finally snapped. There was a lot of bellowing and crashing from the ogre craft hall culminating in ‘Bluto’ and company dealing with an apparently insane ogre in a final manner.

I suppose it is up to the ogres to decide which of their brutish peers is insane and which is not.

15th Granite, Year 5
Early spring

A mixed band of elves, slugmen and snailmen arrived today, with any luck they will pass by close enough for me to get a missive out to the civilized world. The elven group’s leader is making for the ogre’s trading area as I write this. I expect the forest folk will have something to say about the apparent disregard the ogres hold for the elves’ beloved trees. Just as well there are apparently no crocodiles or big cats left alive in this unpleasant swamp.

The snailmen appear to be aghast by the deforestation of the hillside and have retreated from the trade gathering, the slugmen are a little far to give any indication of their disposition toward the lummoxes that hold the hill in their ham fisted grasp.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 02:57:33 am by Old-Man-Gator »

Old-Man-Gator

• Bay Watcher
  • Pickled Prawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2009, 03:02:56 am »

27th Granite, Year 5
Early spring

‘Shovel’ seems to have encountered a goblin near the ogre dump site. It would appear the demon worshipping little blighters are depraved enough to try and haul off howling ogre brats as well. While the situation is bemusing at best and the imagery of a sweating goblin straining under the weight of an ogre toddler is tickling, I fear what would happen if ogres became commonplace in the goblin armies.

For once I hope the ‘Shovel’ and her ogres tear the little horror limb from limb before it can inform its fellows of the tribe’s presence here.

As it happens, ‘Shovel’ is aptly named. She took care of the depraved, grey skinned interloper with her customary noise and efficiency. This is another reason why this brute continues to lead the tribe. The fight was over in moments.

Old-Man-Gator

• Bay Watcher
  • Pickled Prawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2009, 03:08:24 am »

17th Slate, Year 5
Mid-spring

The ogres appear to be in the process of evacuating this site, ‘Shovel’ is no where to be seen and ogres are leaving the area in ones and twos.

Upon investigation of the butchery hut and fishery, the ogres have nothing to eat. From the piles and piles of perfectly good longland grass flour and other plants that have been discarded, I will surmise that the great brutes only eat meat. The ogres appear therefore to be moving on to better hunting grounds.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 03:10:16 am by Old-Man-Gator »

bamorrow

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McMason has been feeling clever lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2009, 06:29:18 am »

Romance made easy!  by Drunkard

Step 1.  Select your mate.
Step 2.  Challenge the mate to drinking contest.
Step 3.  Consume all the alcohol.
Step 4.  Fight over how many drinks were consumed, more more more than two, or more more more more than two.
Step 5.  Fight until exhausted.
Step 6.  Get the mate to put the thing in.
Step 7.  Ugh ugh.  With a little bit a, ugh ugh.
Step 8.  Go to sleep.
Step 9.  Never miss an opportunity to give the mate a loving slap on the ass.
KAlSi3O8

AdvancedBen2E

bamorrow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2009, 06:36:53 am »

Carnivore exclusively, huh?  That's tough.  Among the things we might want to do is convert gathers to fisherogres, unless the fishing holes are already cleared out.  At which point, we might even want to consider creating artificial fishing spots by diverting water from the brook all over the map, though I honestly have no idea if that'd actually work.

Otherwise, I'd want to prioritize trading for meat and fish whenever possible.  I don't think we have the job permission to even make small traps for vermin.

But all in all, I want to focus the camp on getting everybody fed.  Drunkard's gonna pop out a baby ogre any day now.

KAlSi3O8

AdvancedBen2E

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2009, 07:27:41 am »

try to start ranching or something
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2009, 07:53:31 am »

meet meat cube!
Code: [Select]
XXXXX
X___X
X_O_X
X___X
XXXXX

O= bull (roped)
X= cow (roped)

as many layers as you need.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

bamorrow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2009, 08:42:06 am »

Ooooh, yeah, I'd completely forgot that we might be able to trade for some live animals to breed.  Good call, ogrepeeps.
KAlSi3O8

AdvancedBen2E

Katsuun

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loli_Weaboo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2009, 08:47:54 am »

Wait, then what are we using plants for? And whats going to happen to the site now?
how would a Fortress based curse work?

Rocks fall, everyone dies.

Sans context.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2009, 05:46:27 pm »

The ogre I refer to as ‘Cudgel’ was ambushed by one of the mighty crocodiles that live in this swamp. The beast managed to maul her quite badly...

Ah well, even in her Ogrey buffness, Cudgel is no Steve Irwin. How many limbs did she lose?

Also, the plant matter can be used in animal traps to catch herbivores, thus supplying the meatcube ranch.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2009, 06:51:59 pm »

How does herbalism work? My dwarves never seem to do it?

Old-Man-Gator

• Bay Watcher
  • Pickled Prawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2009, 09:54:57 pm »

On the carnivore matter.

The solution was to fix the raws.

The ogres could not trade for meat because the Ogre civ did not have a USE ANIMALS tag, so their wagons would never have meat, they would never embark with meat and so on.

Once the site (a swamp) ran out of native animals and fish, the ogres were pretty much borked at least until the humans, dwarfs or whatever arrived.

I believe the situation is fixed in the raws, I have pretty much started this fort after another world gen and am considering doing the whole thing again.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5