Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Anyone want an ogre? - Stustozosla [Community Ogre Camp]  (Read 3831 times)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone want an ogre?
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2009, 09:15:30 pm »

I'll also take one.

Name - Tardicus Maximus (Tard for short)

Profession - Fish wrestler (fisherogre. obviously, he can't use a nonexistant pole to CATCH DEM FISHEHZ!)

Quirks - LURVS DEM FISHEHZ

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Old-Man-Gator

• Bay Watcher
  • Pickled Prawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2009, 09:29:16 pm »

And there we have the initial seven ogres covered.

I'll go ahead and make a start once I have had my late morning coffee and off we goes.

Old-Man-Gator

• Bay Watcher
  • Pickled Prawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2009, 09:50:17 pm »

Pre-embark the picture looks pretty grim, but surely these fine ogres can carve a niche out for themselves. Good honest fish wrestling is a time honoured profession where the wildlife is too big and nasty to be subject to being whacked over the head with a club.

So.. I am spending a few left over points on some barrels of booze.

All right, first thing I will need to have you guys decide on is whether you want to block the cave off until there are more ogres. Because frankly seven ogres against four cyclopes is suicide.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 11:21:19 pm by Old-Man-Gator »

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone want an ogre? - Amauxno [Community Ogre Camp]
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2009, 01:12:42 am »

Hmm.... The smart thing to do would be to leave just enough cave for the 7 to settle in, but block off the depths with some rocks or wood. Then once their ability to smash heads has grown, tear down the barricade, and take on the 4 cyclopses to open the rest of the cave to them.

The Ogre thing to do would be to get some warm up sparring in outside the cave, and then charge the cyclopses.

As a compromise, why not build huts outside the cave entrance, and try to stay out of Cyclopean notice, until you feel like moving into the cave... It worked for me on a site with a Dragon.

Old-Man-Gator

• Bay Watcher
  • Pickled Prawn
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone want an ogre? - Amauxno [Community Ogre Camp]
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2009, 01:29:27 am »

This is the accepted strategy for cave evictions.

I will generally disable hunting, block off the cave and then re-enable hunting.

Then the ogres will spend time building up stats and what not by doing what they do until I feel confident they can clear the cave.

However, I wanted to check with folks before I started that, as it is supposed to be something of a communal effort.

In breaking news, we had a problem with the RAWS so I had to re-start the fort so the ogres would be able to make cuirasses. We now have a better start location and a scarier cave. (7 native giants and numerous giant rats).

I have archived the initial save if anyone wants the data and raw files.

I'll be marking In Character text output with Exclamation points in the post headers, unless someone has a better idea. First load of immigrant ogres arrived earlier, also. The journal is a bit behind the game.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 11:35:42 am by Old-Man-Gator »

Old-Man-Gator

• Bay Watcher
  • Pickled Prawn
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone want an ogre? - Stustozosla [Community Ogre Camp]
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2009, 10:07:57 am »

Journal of Olo Flickergazes
Naturalist of the Fair Union

1st Granite, Year 3
Early Spring.

Once, I was content to study the family of giants that had taken up residence in the nearby caverns. Now it seems I have the opportunity to keep tabs on a group of ogre settlers who appear to be hell bent on making a village close to the caves.

A point of warning however, neither ogres nor giants are particularly friendly, so I must keep my observations discrete.

There appear to be seven ogres (five females, two males) who appear to be arguing over the ruins of what looks like a trade wagon. I will simply observe the brutes from here and pass information to the union as soon as possible.

May Durpul grant the woodcraft I need to conceal myself from these primitive brutes!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 11:33:07 am by Old-Man-Gator »

Old-Man-Gator

• Bay Watcher
  • Pickled Prawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2009, 11:32:40 am »

24th Slate, Year 3
Mid-spring

The ogres sent one of their fellows, whom I call ‘Hacker’, into the cave with some logs and none of the giants or other denizens have emerged as yet. Some time after going in, Hacker returned empty handed. I assume He has made a rude barricade of some kind within the cave.

It seems the ogres are here to stay, they have constructed a wooden shanty and the brute I call ‘Tardy’ has been leaving shellfish that she plucks from the brook nearby to it.

One of the others ‘Shovel’ seems to be quite taken with cracking shells and setting meat aside, making her quite popular with her primitive peers. I suspect this ‘Shovel’ is the leader of these beasts as the others tend to listen to whatever she bellows at them in their rough tongue.

gumball135

• Bay Watcher
  • [ROBOTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2009, 12:38:11 pm »

This is great. Can I request a guy/gal?

Name: Spud
Profession: Farmer
Story: His parents were killed by a rampaging mob of humans when he was a baby, who then mistook him for one of their own and brought him back to their village. They raised him on a nearby farm, without noticing his true identity. When he finally became an adult, he ripped them all to pieces. Just because he could.
You could start a zoo and end up with a natural history museum, I'm sure no one would mind.

Old-Man-Gator

• Bay Watcher
  • Pickled Prawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2009, 01:07:56 pm »

Ogres don't farm.

However I'm sure there are any number of herbalists and other earthy types that could fit the bill.

The camp is in its second year, I'm just working on updating the journal.

The Named are as follows:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 01:25:50 pm by Old-Man-Gator »

gumball135

• Bay Watcher
  • [ROBOTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2009, 02:39:35 pm »

Yeah, a herbalist is fine. Of any sort.
You could start a zoo and end up with a natural history museum, I'm sure no one would mind.

smallcutepuppy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2009, 02:51:39 pm »

Good, you pick flowers, make Gronk sewer brew! Raar.

Fortis

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2009, 02:53:12 pm »

I'll take an ogre.
Name: Bluto
Job: Making things dead. With a huge club. He's also okay with carpentry when there isn't anything to clobber.

bamorrow

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McMason has been feeling clever lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2009, 03:41:38 pm »

Awesome!

One thing I recall (iirc) that might be of interest, is that creatures that aren't alcohol dependent in fortress mode can actually wind up with it anyway.  It'd be interesting to see if the Ogres develop this "feature".
KAlSi3O8

AdvancedBen2E

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2009, 03:57:06 pm »

Hell yes. This is a fantastic idea. My penguin hat goes off to Old Man Gator.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2009, 08:20:23 pm »

I like the color violet because it rhymes with VIOLENT!!!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5