Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarven marital issues  (Read 1814 times)

Mook

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven marital issues
« on: March 09, 2009, 09:24:15 pm »

I've run into a minor annoyance involving the local babymakers in my seaside fort.  Namely, a particular married couple refuses to sleep in the same bed after having half a dozen children.   I've only noticed the one couple sleeping separately, but either the wife or the husband inevitably ends up with an unhappy thought when they have to sleep in the barracks.

I tried to give each dwarf two separate rooms in the hopes that they would sleep in a room and stop giving themselves unhappy thoughts, but they (especially the wife) seem drawn to the beds in the barracks.

Has anyone else encountered this before?  Is it caused by the huge number of kids they have (the kids have their own rooms) or do dwarves just stop sleeping together after they've been married for a while?

Thanks for any responses.

corvvs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven marital issues
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 11:39:35 pm »

...do dwarves just stop sleeping together after they've been married for a while?

Wow, Toady really IS making a real-life simulator!

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 11:45:15 pm »

Lemme guess, realistic marriages, CoughCheatersCough!
It's either that or there are too many Dwarves on one bed at a time.
Like anyone would sleep with their spouse and six children.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 11:47:17 pm »

Just send them to Utrist McMarriageAdvisor, right next to Grim McBerzerk.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 11:50:58 pm »

Lemme guess, realistic marriages, CoughCheatersCough!
It's either that or there are too many Dwarves on one bed at a time.
Like anyone would sleep with their spouse and six children.
My family is only four, but we were small and scared. And poor.

Also, Dwarves seem like a race that would stay together even if they want to rip eachothers head off. They are a sturdy race. not even death will seperate them. What chance does hate have?

Now humans and elves, they can have issues. Goblins and elves in particular. Humans are neutral in it, the attitude towards divorces based on the local culture. Kobolds strike me as animalistic, and thus would either have a new mate every mating season or keep a mate for life.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 12:41:02 am »

Only one member of the family can use the bed at a time; if a kid takes it, mommy gets to sleep in the dirt.

Building more beds in the room helps; I tend to have 4 or 5 for large families.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 12:46:11 am »

Nope. I have seen spouses sharing a bed. Sleeping. They had flashing Z's. I will not allow the obvious joke.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 01:19:57 am »

Nope. I have seen spouses sharing a bed. Sleeping. They had flashing Z's. I will not allow the obvious joke.

maybe it happened before you looked
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 02:51:47 am »

Oops, I meant to make an exception for spouses, that's true.  But either there's a limit to the number of people per bed, or older kids don't want to share.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 04:26:56 am »

I believe there is no limit. I have seen piles of kids on one bed and considering you can also fit dragons, colossi and donkeys on a bed simultaneously (though the donkey was dead and the dragon had a mortal wound. You don't mess with a colossus. 1x1 arena with bed was the best idea I ever had.

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 09:39:10 am »

A couple thoughts

1) Are the military squads set to sleep in room or barracks?
2) Children, once they are old enough, can be assigned their own rooms.
Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2009, 09:56:38 am »

Economy hasn't kicked in has it?  Maybe they cannot afford the room.
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

Spike GT

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 12:15:27 pm »

This reminds me of a funny thing that happened in one of my fortresses.  I had this Baroness who had a series of questionable traits, one of which was her extreme immodesty.  Her husband was a really laid-back dude who didn't care for rules; pretty much an ecstatic fop who loved to just hang out in his room with his bracelets with a shit-eating grin.

The Baroness ended up having like eight kids and most of them had dubious names that made it seem like she slept with every male dwarf except her husband.  The most telling one was named Bomrek Minelabored, I can only assume after one of my legendary miners, whose name was also Bomrek.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2009, 02:10:37 pm »

Try clearing the ownership of the bed. When they're kicked out of their current room, they'll grab another room which should hopefully fix the issue.

Shad0wyone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2009, 07:13:36 pm »

I don't know about you, but somehow ALL of my births have been from military dwarves O_o
Must be new military code or something...
Pages: [1] 2