Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Unforseen benefit to the Orc mod  (Read 2318 times)

Loki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Unforseen benefit to the Orc mod
« on: March 09, 2009, 02:05:51 pm »

So I just recently got the orc mod, and I've been loving it-- the constant sieges keep the game much more interesting.

What DIDN'T occur to me was that many of them would come wearing iron armor. I have 4 smelters on nearly constant meltdown duty two seasons of every year.

I'm in the process of building iron roads and bridges on the exterior of my fortress just so caravans can stand in awe at the amount of money I'm able to waste in raw materials :)
Dwarf Fortress: The only game you can play without even unpausing.

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
Re: Unforseen benefit to the Orc mod
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 02:11:32 pm »

psssh. If it's not steel, it's not dwarven!
Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 02:17:07 pm »

Whats fueling the nonstop smelters? Or do you have magma?
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Loki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 02:22:39 pm »

Yeah, it's a magma map. If not, all that narrow iron gear would only be good in trade and that'd be pretty uncool
Dwarf Fortress: The only game you can play without even unpausing.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 02:41:32 pm »

A suitably wooded map can result in charcoal-fueled large-scale smelting.

Goblins really are the fourth iron ore.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 02:46:16 pm »

Well, with upgraded gobbos and the orc mod, just getting to the trees is a hell of a challenge. I've got magma forges, and I don't even have time to melt the armor for all that I need to haul.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 03:48:01 pm »

So I just recently got the orc mod, and I've been loving it-- the constant sieges keep the game much more interesting.

What DIDN'T occur to me was that many of them would come wearing iron armor. I have 4 smelters on nearly constant meltdown duty two seasons of every year.

I'm in the process of building iron roads and bridges on the exterior of my fortress just so caravans can stand in awe at the amount of money I'm able to waste in raw materials :)

Well yeah, we can call this "exploiting"?  ;D
I've tried this orc mod also, and yeah, it's fun, but only if you don't use traps/defense mechanisms at all. If you use the "I barricade my fortress with buttload of traps" method, the orc mod turns into the "endless source of iron" mod. Ah man, I really hope that Toady will be able to code in a decent siege system while he is working on the Army Arc, because frankly, it would raise this game to a new epic level.  8)

Baro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 03:59:38 pm »

I've never seen a seige in my years playing DF, it's always been a dream of mine.  Where is this mod?? It makes sieges actually happen?!

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 04:04:56 pm »

Well compared to the vanilla game..yeah you will be sieged more often, but since the siege mechanism is hardcoded, the number of orc sieges also depends on the created wealth etc.
This is the mod's official topic.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 04:46:58 pm »

Well compared to the vanilla game..yeah you will be sieged more often, but since the siege mechanism is hardcoded, the number of orc sieges also depends on the created wealth etc.
This is the mod's official topic.

Doesn't depend on much, though. My first siege was with 10 dwarves and about 40K in wealth. It's hard to *not* hit that after just 2 years of making food and producing enough trade goods to stay alive. I'm still under 100K in created wealth and have had 3 sieges. Up to 11 dwarves now.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 05:03:23 pm »

I've tried this orc mod also, and yeah, it's fun, but only if you don't use traps/defense mechanisms at all. If you use the "I barricade my fortress with buttload of traps" method, the orc mod turns into the "endless source of iron" mod. Ah man, I really hope that Toady will be able to code in a decent siege system while he is working on the Army Arc, because frankly, it would raise this game to a new epic level.  8)

Orcs v0.3 have [trAPAVOID] for exactly that reason. I agree on the better siege system, though.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 06:00:18 pm »

Don't forget that if you use orcs you have to start over!

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 09:14:39 am »

Orcs v0.3 have [trAPAVOID] for exactly that reason. I agree on the better siege system, though.

Yeah well, trapavoid is a must have sadly, if you want more challenging sieges at least.

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2009, 09:18:08 am »

Or you can...you know...not build fields of traps...

Phazer

• Bay Watcher
  • This song is creepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2009, 09:25:28 am »

then what would kill those irritating elves or gobbo thieves? theyre just irritating to hunt, no real match
Dragon: My plan is foolproof! Those foolish dwarves cannot resist walking near lava! If I hop in, then they won't know what hit them! I'll just- AH! OH GOD! I WASTED MY LIFE!
Pages: [1] 2