Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Children  (Read 2710 times)

Thirster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Children
« on: March 09, 2009, 07:11:51 am »

ok, simple question, is there any mod or file i can edit myself to enable children to haul, in my current fort and one of my favs i have 25 dwarves (capped so no more immy sin the the ini file) but i have 66 children (only just bothered to cap that), theyre taking up cycles and it would be great if they could at least help dump my stone. did a quick search through the forums here couldnt find anything relevent.

anyone able to help?

thanks in advance

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Children
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 07:29:32 am »

I'm pretty sure you can use Dwarf Companion to enable whatever labors on the children.

Thirster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 11:03:12 am »

ive already tried in the DC, cant see anything, just look again aswell. any other ideas?

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 12:52:56 pm »

You will need to use a utility like Dwarf Companion (if it does it) or Dwarf Manager to edit your kids labours.

IIRC neither currently work (or work very well) in 40d9, so you will need to downgrade briefly to 40d to 'fix' your issue.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 12:55:09 pm by Sinergistic »

Thirster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 01:24:27 pm »

use dwarf manager enabled it in there... only problem is they seem to ignore it. ohwell maybe they jsut dont like pulling stones 10 times their own mass

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 01:42:33 pm »

use dwarf manager enabled it in there... only problem is they seem to ignore it. ohwell maybe they jsut dont like pulling stones 10 times their own mass

Are you talking about stone hauling to a stone stockpile? Or hauling stone you've designated to be dumped? Because the former needs Stone Hauling (or something) and the latter needs Refuse Hauling. Might as well enable all the hauling labours on the kids, if you really want them to work.

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 03:22:53 pm »

Mod your game to have children grow up in 1 year.

This causes them to be much less of a drain on society.

I am unsure of hauling but you can set children as pump operators in Dwarf Manager *See my sig and look down the list*  They will be legendary pump operators by the time they are grown and will be much better prepared to deal with the economy because legendary people get what they want for free.

If you want your dwarf children to grow up in a year replace your creature_standard.txt with this.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 03:29:01 pm »

I am unsure of hauling but you can set children as pump operators in Dwarf Manager *See my sig and look down the list*  They will be legendary pump operators by the time they are grown and will be much better prepared to deal with the economy because legendary people get what they want for free.

If you want your dwarf children to grow up in a year replace your creature_standard.txt with this.

Massive Spoiler

Did you seriously just post your entire creature standard file after changing just ONE line? lol ???

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 03:37:03 pm »

Massive Spoiler

Did you seriously just post your entire creature standard file after changing just ONE line? lol ???
Yep.  So he wouldent have to find that ONE line in the "massive" file.
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

Thirster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 11:45:50 pm »

thanks guys for all the help.

on another note, is there anyway to change the viscosity of water? or isnt it an externalised feature?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 11:54:00 pm »

thanks guys for all the help.

on another note, is there anyway to change the viscosity of water? or isnt it an externalised feature?

The properties of water aren't moddable in any way I can think of, short of tile hacking.