Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: TES V: What should it not do?  (Read 8798 times)

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: TES V: What should it not do?
« Reply #75 on: March 11, 2009, 01:41:55 pm »

Actually, good story might be have the difficulty be extremely high at the begining, then have it slowly decrease as the Player gets good. The difficulty should be extremely high to represent how the enemy is dangerous, but once the player overcome the difficutly, it becomes Easy Street as the Player becomes the Hero.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 11, 2009, 01:57:51 pm »

the Oblivion Mage Guild quest chain was... underwhelming. Half of it was just getting in the dammed guild of people who provided me useless crap

The worst of which was actually right at the end when you were made the head of the Mage's guild.

What does being the leader of one of the most influencial groups in all of Cyrodil mean? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!

Honestly... give me something better then a fancy pants room and access to horrible NPC companions.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 11, 2009, 02:21:16 pm »

Also, where is the awesome Dark Brotherhood armor from Morrowind? That's how my light armor character survived 'till glass came along, and encountered dozens of sets in the Tribunal expansion. Now it seems more like a vampire roleplay group instead of a seedy underground crime syndicate. The Morag Tong were simple awesome.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 11, 2009, 03:49:54 pm »

omg i almost forgot what i wanted TES 5 to become...morrowind online

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 11, 2009, 03:56:09 pm »

I'd rather... not. Online may be decent, but I don't want it to be forced.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 11, 2009, 04:40:00 pm »

What does being the leader of one of the most influencial groups in all of Cyrodil mean? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!

Yes it does. You get access to meatshields, a market to buy stuff from, some storage places, a free house, and some extra free items.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 11, 2009, 05:41:14 pm »

Online? Are you mad?

Maybe in a limited sense, such as having players able to connect to a small circle of friends that exist in the same game world. But God NO do not make it a MMORPG.
!!&!!

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 11, 2009, 06:11:27 pm »

imagine 2 armies of people with oblivion fighting style waging war......thats right you cant its too amazing

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #83 on: March 11, 2009, 06:26:27 pm »

In my opinion, oblivion ruined quite a bit.
Can't cast that spell? wait a few minutes.
Have an awesome enchanted item? What's that, it's out of charges? You'll have to waste one of your valuable soul gems or pay massive ammounts of money to have it recharged!

In morrowind, magic was a tactical resource: You would always want to save that last bit. restore magica potions were VALUABLE.

Enchanting was a bit overpowered, but, at least when I played it, it was only castable, with no constant effects or on hit. On the other hand, you could prepare expensive powerful spells in advance, with an apropriate chance of failure during the creation, of course, and your hard efforts payed off in the end.

My opinion?

TES V should have magic gained only through sleep and potions(and spell effects like partial spell absorption and stealing it from opponents) and enchanted items should regain power, but more slowly than morrowind.

They should also revive the more freeform levitation, jump, lock, and slowfall effects while keeping the script effect(only good feature of oblivion!).

On that note, the physics in oblivion is only good for murdering the guards in their sleep and then dragging the bodies over each other in ugly suggestive poses. That and falling boulder traps.
What would be best is simply "items fall on slopes of greater than x degrees or if you took the items under it" and nothing more. Yeah, go make a floating candle in morrowind. Not that hard.

Morrowind had uniformly decent graphics and gameplay while oblivion wend for graphics only.

Get rid of voice actors entirely, at least for NPC mashups(everyone in city X says this, don't give them the same recording, stupid!) and maybe replace it with a good voice GENERATOR that takes in at least 20 character inputs, and another 10 for the dialog itself, allowing for emotions while staying consistant to the character's voice. This will also make modders VERY happy. Just remember to include an override or make the values script editable so people can recreate some stargate scenes or maybe GLaDOS.

In fact, if they did that, it might sell an additional million copies on that feature alone, more after the modding community have made entire new games off of the engine...

Skills giving bonuses every 25 is STUPID. I liked morrowind's spell chance that varied with fatigue, magic remaining, magic skill, and luck. It wasn't a "you have to be level 50 with destruction magic to use this" it was "you probably won't be able to use this until at least skill level 40, and it will take level 50 to have a decent success rate".
Although slight improvements in effect based on level were nice, in a way, the loss that had to happen for it was way too much.
Eh?
Eh!

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 11, 2009, 06:44:47 pm »

Yes qwerty, magic was one of the things Oblivion handled the worst.
Don't enchanted items in Morrowind regain power over a day or two?

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 11, 2009, 06:53:03 pm »

I want more traps, that was the most interesting thing in Oblivion for me, but after I saw them all I go bored quick.

I want LOTS of traps.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 11, 2009, 07:27:46 pm »

I want more traps, that was the most interesting thing in Oblivion for me, but after I saw them all I go bored quick.

I want LOTS of traps.
Not a dwarven fortress of traps, but generally more. We need sadistic people working the trap department to make a plethora of different types of traps.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 11, 2009, 07:28:26 pm »

Yes it does. You get access to meatshields, a market to buy stuff from, some storage places, a free house, and some extra free items.

You kinda missed the other part of my post.

Though it is still a pretty cruddy reward.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 11, 2009, 07:32:42 pm »

I would argue that you should be able to hold a council.

Then I remembered you murdered a third of the existing one and forced the other third to suicide.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 11, 2009, 07:38:30 pm »

Azura's star was in morrowind, and that was the biggest kind of soulgem you could get, if you enchanted some glass armor with a few golden saints it was possible to get some really powerful enchantments, like constant +2 healing. Still Oblivion had it's share of that too, I hated how they made custom enchantment only possible after going through the mage guild quests, of course if you went through the tedium of actually closing a gate you'd get a glyph with an enchantment that's usually more powerful than you can otherwise make, I remember my sneaky character got a shield with 40% chameleon, which combined with a hood, necklace, and ring managed to get pushed up to 85%, he was actually able to just keep hitting anything with constant sneak attacks and never be spotted.

Of course I didn't know real overpowerment until I made a breton mage maxed out who got a wizards staff that could kill anything in 1-2 hits and if not he could just zap them dead. I swear even the big bad necromancer guy died with three staff blasts, seriously I even let my giant demon-lizard just eat his puny skeleton.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8