Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: TES V: What should it not do?  (Read 8818 times)

Old-Man-Gator

• Bay Watcher
  • Pickled Prawn
    • View Profile
Re: TES V: What should it not do?
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2009, 12:15:44 am »

Perhaps some sort of story line mechanic attached to scaling might do the trick.

I think this kind of existed in Morrowind.. the further along the main storyline you were, the more corpus infected showed up? Or was that level based?

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2009, 12:20:46 am »

What I find amusing about that map is that the whole game of Morrowind takes place in Vvardenfell. which is only about five times larger than the Imperial City island, and yet all of Vvardenfell manages to be bigger than all of Cyrodiil
Actually, I think what you saw is Solstheim. Vvardenfell is much bigger than Solstheim, but is still relatively small when compared to Cyrodiil.

One other place I would like to see is Akavir. If that happens, I doubt if you would see many, if any, familiar races, though.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 12:24:18 am by Mephisto »

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2009, 12:46:43 am »

That's a point there- what the setting of the next game will be. I have a few theories:

-Civil War: The various states are fighting each other for superiority following the collapse of the empire. Hopefully will allow travel to all the regions of the continent- but this probably will lead to a severe drop in detail or scale (I.E., you can go to Vivec, but it's just one canton.)
-Akaviri: A prisoner is to serve in an expedition to Akavir. Guess who you play.
-Daedra Lords: Without the dragonfires, it has become easy to open portals between realms of oblivion. Not only do Saruman (or whoever, the big bad from TES4) and Crazypants have gates, but there are passages between the realms of all Daedra.
-Default: Somebody kidnaps Ocotto (scotto? what's his face. The psudo-emporer) and the Blades go to thier prime recruiting grounds, the Imperial Prison.

Which reminds me, why is it that EVERY champion of the past several centuries (and every holder of the Daedric Artifacts, and every other Guildmaster for ALL of the guilds) was put in jail?

And then there's one more thing- in the begining of Morrowind, Azura says that "They have taken you from the Impirial Prison, first by carrage, and then by boat..." What carrages? And why bother, since the IP is about a hundred feet away from the waterfront?

Speaking of which, yeah, I'd like to go back to Morrowind Rapid Transit, with Oblivion-style autowalking + encounters.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2009, 12:53:10 am »

It needs to be more like this.

But yes, in theory there are other larger jails in the Empire that are not next to a major civilian city.

Also, Gods and strong Daedra use jails because it is a terribly easy way of ferrying people to where you want them. Want somebody in Vvardenfell? Have them jailed and shipped there for their crimes. Need them to see a specific event in the jail dungeons? Jail 'em. Dunno what Daggerfell had though.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2009, 01:00:15 am »

Daggerfall didn't start in jail. Started with a shipwreck, actually.
Your character had a bit of a background (practically a whole story) generated based on his/her class, and a short little quiz you took. Something that the other games didn't have.

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2009, 01:20:08 am »

I have a powergoal for TES V. If it achieves this, it will never part from my side. The goal combines elements of randomly generated quests and larger scale (as a side note, I didn't mind the compass, rarely fast travelled and hated the stuffed up scaling).

The goal is thus (based on a flash of inspiration I had):
The enemy were stronger than you first expected. They had pushed into your lands, razing villages and killing innocent villagers. Many times you had organised an army and confronted them, but they defeated you and you barely escaped with your life (a different result could of course occur if you had fought better at the begnning). There were only a few rebels left now to continue the fighting, and only a small patch of free land. You had holed up in an old cathedral, removing the monsters that had occupied it and barricading all entries. You hear a thumping on the doors, your barricades strain under the stress. Suddenly they burst open, and the enemy soldiers swarm in. This is your last chance for survival.

I always had a feeling in oblivion that the things I was doing didn't really matter (of course I got distracted by side-quests, but still). This kind of campaign (even if partly linear), would be the sort of thing to alleviate that disinterest. Unlikely to ever happen, but still.
Quote from: Ampersand
Also, Xom finds people that chug unidentified fluids pleasing.
Quote from: Servant Corps
Ignorance of magic does not give scientists the power to resist fireballs.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2009, 02:29:19 am »

That powergoal is a better game concept then most out there.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2009, 02:36:26 am »

Actually, I think what you saw is Solstheim. Vvardenfell is much bigger than Solstheim, but is still relatively small when compared to Cyrodiil.

... No. I meant the actual -in game- square mileage. In game, It takes far longer to cross Vvardenfell on foot than it does to cross Cyrodiil.
!!&!!

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2009, 09:25:58 am »

... No. I meant the actual -in game- square mileage. In game, It takes far longer to cross Vvardenfell on foot than it does to cross Cyrodiil.
What's even funnier is the size of Daggerfall's area, one that takes two weeks of 'real life' time to cross, yet is comparable to Vvardenfell.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2009, 09:27:45 am »

Which reminds me, why is it that EVERY champion of the past several centuries (and every holder of the Daedric Artifacts, and every other Guildmaster for ALL of the guilds) was put in jail?

Control. If you were imprisoned by the Imperial prison and subjected to a ton of Imperial Policing Tactics, and then offered a chance at freedom if you just carry out a few favours...well, why not? I wouldn't be surprised if a significant amount of labor for the Empire comes from prisonsers.

The fact that said prisoner ended up controlling a significant portion of society, erm...I would assume that the prisoner would have changed his name, so nobody would know of what crime he was thrown in prison for (like, say, mass murder, or playing a guitar over God's corspe).
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2009, 09:34:32 am »

And now you know how the dwarves died.

Wait, I mean Dwemmer.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2009, 05:37:51 pm »

cant wait till TES 5 comes out.

oblivion, liked it, about as much as morrwind. more then morrowind if it had variety in landscape and the voice acting was better. but i didint mind the quick travel and large map....frankly, if your not going to walk outside the quest areas to look for whats actually in the rest of the map, dont say its too big and empty. ife walked through at least half of the map look for new places and found dozens upon dozens of places...my favorite was this cave with a hidden passage made of cruved trees and grass, had its own notes and little story in it, not part of a quest so unless you go exploring you wouldnt find it. and they are not too wide spread because i am finding thins to be uncomfortably close to each other; pack them anymore together and you'd wonder why people were looking for that ancient ruin when its in sight of a town. and the quick travel is a live saver...tried WoW, i hated the travel system....riding on a bat....10 minutes later riding on a bat.

mash morrowind and oblivion together with a few tweaks though and youve got a perfect game ("A" perfect game...many type of perfects)

since they made fallout with lots of voice actors then chances are TES 5 will have tons too

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2009, 06:21:15 pm »

but i didint mind the quick travel and large map....frankly, if your not going to walk outside the quest areas to look for whats actually in the rest of the map, dont say its too big and empty.

Are you serious?  People are complaining about the exact opposite:  That the map is way too TINY, that it's not empty enough, that you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a dungeon or a ruin.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2009, 06:23:48 pm »

I've started playing daggerfall again today. After reconfiguring the controls, I must say I enjoy it. NPCs lack some uniqueness most times and it's sort of fun to torment an entire country to death.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2009, 06:25:10 pm »

I'm not going to play TESV for one good reason. I can't even start to play Morrowind. Gah.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8