Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: TES V: What should it not do?  (Read 8806 times)

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: TES V: What should it not do?
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2009, 09:35:05 am »

Co-op. Diablo-style co-op. Saveable co-op. SOMETHING.
in fact thats what it SHOULD do. badly.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2009, 09:52:51 am »

it should not use the gamebryo engine. ever. again.
Also:
-Remove the minigames.
-Be more mature like the previous games.
-Try to be more original rather than blatantly generic fantasy (Daggerfall was freaking dark fantasy compared to TES4). Best solution to this would be not to alter the original lore with stupid shit anymore and best forget anything in Oblivion ever happened. Get some good writers.
-Add random encounters to Fast Travel (I don't want it removed, Morrowind was a hiking simulator due to lack of this).
-Get better (and more) voice actors or have none at all. Listening to the same people and their shitty performances of "anger" or "insanity" was aggrevating. If you really can't afford more voice actors, then at least implement subtle voice mutators that'd make them sound a bit different.
-Fix the Retard AI.
-Get better facial expressions. Yours make people look quite literally retarded when attempting to display any ounce of emotion.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2009, 10:28:58 am »

No more Asspulls.

No more Ret Con

No more Annoying Arrows.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 11:40:28 am by Yanlin »
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2009, 11:05:13 am »

Co-op. Diablo-style co-op. Saveable co-op. SOMETHING.
in fact thats what it SHOULD do. badly.

I'd say it should do it well, not badly. :P But yeah, I was thinking they should do it. The thread title seems to have been somewhat lost.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2009, 11:08:39 am »

NO item scaling. I wan't to get an awsome item because I finally found that hidden dungeon and butchered my way through 300 angry skeletons. Not because I am level 30 and LOOK IN A BARREL LAYING ON THE STREET. some monster scaling is fine, more like the way it was used in Morrowind

No fast travel, I want to have the feeling that I am actually somewhere, with the fast travel you were everywhere at once. This is also related to having a larger world and more difference.

better quests, no quest compass. I want to have quests that make me feel like I am actually on a quest. Like the final TESIV thieves guild mission, that one was awsome.

You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2009, 11:22:02 am »

no "I have been asked to find braygoths amulet, I've snuck into the thief's house, now I need to search the entire place for OH WAIT QUEST COMPASS LOL"
I agree with the no quest compass, but when I ask someone about a location and they explain to me where it is, I would appreciate if it appeared on the map. I'm looking at you, Morrowind.

The world also has to be bigger too. Morrowind was at least four times larger than Cyrodill. They also need the open cities from Morrowind. I know why they did it, to prevent people from getting massacred by high level monsters, but that loading screen every time I enter a city's walls is quite jarring, and as mods indicate, quite unnecessary.
Yes, please. While it might be fun to have a 1:1 scale world for a while, it might eventually get boring, though. Imagine if you're too poor to afford quick transport and you've got to walk from Morrowind to Valenwood then swim to Summerset Isles or Pyandonea.

Something I'd like to see added - Pyandonea, mentioned above, or maybe the sunken ruins of Yokuda.
Link to a map, as it seems that Photobucket doesn't like hotlinking to others' accounts.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2009, 11:55:13 am »

Economy is a must. I'm sick of being the richest person in the world and not being able to buy anything. Not to mention how guard earn 5 gold per month and beggars can buy food for a day for a single coin. Or how the houses cost a fuckton. Makes me wonder how anyone is able to afford them. (As previously mentioned.)

But expand on that. Fast traveling is risky. I say you are only able to fast travel to a place if you know the WAY to it. Not it's location. For example, to fast travel to Anvil from the Imperial City, you must first walk on that road. Once in Anvil, you want to reach Chorrol. But that does not mean you can now go to Bruma through Chorrol and then fast travel from Bruma to Anvil.

Also, random encounters along the way. Such as bandits and such.

But here's my suggestion. Lets say you're in city A. To get to city C, you need to go through city B.

You travel to city B from city A. You forgot something in city A. You fast travel there. Along the way, you encounter a bandit that tries to rob you. You rip and tear his guts and continue fast traveling.

Once at city A, you fast travel to city B. This time there's no random encounter because the random number generator god favors you.

Now you start marching to city C. You reach city C without a hitch. Now you did what you had to do in city C. You gotta go back to city A. You cannot fast travel to city A. You must first fast travel to city B.

This system also does not allow you to fast travel to locations off the main roads, such as camps and outposts. You could go to the closest spot on a main road and continue from there. (By pushing "Stop fast traveling")

During fast travel, you see yourself move along the map. You can stop it at any time and continue at any time.

Sailing and transportation should work the same way. You can choose to board a ferry across some sea to reach an island. On the island, you cannot fast travel back to the mainland and have to use the same ferry service, but it's not available 24/7. It only comes on Thursdays at 7PM. Not to mention the journey costs you.

But like with normal fast travel, you can just hop off and any time and start swimming. Not recommended.

I want exhaustion to exist. No more running around with an elephant on your back without breaking a sweat. You lose stamina for running and regain it while walking. You regain it even faster by resting. Run out of stamina and you start running on willpower. Willpower should be just like a second stamina bar. But the more it gets depleted, the more adverse the effects become. Such as you start to slow down, you can't fight effectively and you will suffer a minor HP penalty. (You also get a few hit points of damage if you just stand idly while regaining stamina, due to lactic acid building up in your muscles and not being dispersed. But of course, those hit points come back after a while.)

Stamina cannot be regained at the same rate. Once you hit a low stamina point, it starts recharging slower until the next time you sleep.

Realism too. You have to eat and sleep. A nice way to travel between cities is to get hired by a local merchant as a bodyguard while he's traveling. He provides you food and water, you provide him security. (Of course, you can rob him and even kill him. But eventually news will spread and nobody will hire you. Ever again. For any job.)

Yes. Notoriety needs to play a bigger role. If people know you're a thief, they're not gonna want to have anything to do with you. No matter how nice you are. Not to mention if you're a murderer.

On jobs. Why is the only way to make money a character centered one? Making potions from stuff you gather yourself, then selling them? Hunting stuff then selling the meat/pelt? Stealing? Come on people. Surely there are job openings for a strong and smart adventurer.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2009, 12:08:45 pm »

I don't want to sound negative but....Oblivion sucked, and I am pretty sure that TES V. will suck also. These companies are making games for the masses, that's the new trend. Games for the masses = shallow & simplistic gameplay combined with good graphics.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2009, 12:40:31 pm »

Ah but if one thing, http://tesnexus.com/

Oblivion suddenly doesn't suck anymore.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2009, 01:23:58 pm »

The thing that has bothered me since daggerfall moved to morrowind is:

They reduce complexity to increase graphics.
They reduced the number of skills. Oblivion saw an ever greater decrease.
They reduced freedom.

If this rate continues tes5 will have:
1 skill for any armor you wear.
1 skill for spell casting
1 tiny gauntlet map with
1 city
2 dungeons
0 endings
1 sub-quest
30 minutes to finish main quest which leads nowhere
18gb will be taken to install it
8gb of ram to run it
2 video cards at least
1 million more assholes praising it for being mediocre at best with shiny graphics

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2009, 02:00:40 pm »

Another thing that must be changed is the method of skill acquisition. In Oblivion, if you were a fighter who wanted to be able to cast magic, all you had to do was cast a few hundred fireballs, and slowly develop that skill. No real limitation on what you can potentially be capable of other than time. And I have plenty of that

PLEASE tell me your not requesting Hard-classes

If Oblivion did one thing right it was not forcing you into these confined class restrictions like most games do: "Ohhh I cast spells that automatically means I am weak and pathetic... IT MAKES SO MUCH SENSE!". The fact that non-class skills go up so slowly is a problem. (Fable and Fable 2 also got rid of that nonsense as well... Honestly it is much more fun playing a Paragon then a one-trick pony)

I think the Spell system needs a TON of work mind you. Id go on but really to do justice to how much the magic system needs to change... Id need several paragraphs.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2009, 02:43:59 pm »

Actually, I thought the magic system and the soft 'good'/'bad but doable' classes were the best part of the game

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2009, 02:54:55 pm »

Actually, I thought the magic system and the soft 'good'/'bad but doable' classes were the best part of the game

Well to give you an example of improvements the magic system needed

1) Combatise the Telekenesis as well as allow it to have more uses utility wise
2) Change the animation of Cold

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2009, 03:12:51 pm »

-Economy.
-Spells actually LOOKING DIFFERENT when you get a more powerful version.
-Much less enemy scaling, moreso certain areas with stronger enemies.
-No item scaling. Like, what the hell, glass weapons everywhere.
-NEVER AGAIN have bandits item scale. Why would a bandit in full glass want 15 gold?
-Make food actually useful. And have posions last more than one hit.
-No more "everyone knows your a crook immediately". It should take time, and if no-one see's you do it, no one should know.
-I want to be able to run a store godammit.

I'll think of more later...

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2009, 03:19:12 pm »

What I liked about the magic system was that there wasn't firebolt 1, firebolt 2, etc, but a very simple effect, area, etc build system.  Doing different animations would be a pain, because you don't know what an arbitrary spell SHOULD look like.

does a spell with fire damage 10 need a different graphic from 5, or should it wait till 20?  What effect does the AoE have?  What about stacked damage types?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8