Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: TES V: What should it not do?  (Read 8792 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
TES V: What should it not do?
« on: March 09, 2009, 01:19:07 am »

There have been rumors of an Elder Scrolls 5 game in production. While it could never approach DF in quality, it could certainly improve upon Oblivion. Here are some of my thoughts:

-One-way branches: If you start to work in the fighter's guild, you loose out on Thieves guild quests. If you side with Morrowind province, you can't take quests for Elsewyr. Or whatever it's called.

-Make special effects worth the extra effort: A paralysis poison is  better sold than it is used, becuase a fighter will never meet opponents who last more than three sword hits.

-Get rid of mini-games: They have some nice elements, but they are distracting and unimersive... though Fallout (TES 41/2) did very well with what it did.

-Make classess more distinct: All classes get very good at doing lots of damage. I'd like to see more things like rouges finding back-ways and mages using special effects (like a long-term paralisis or pasifism spells).

-More alternate "endings": If you play all the quests, then the world will allways look the same. I want to see real changes depending on your actions, and be able to fail quests, so I could on one game save a village from a monster, and in annother, the village was destroyed.

-Don't have voice acting: So you can have 10 times the dialoge and people will SAY MY NAME!

-Fix space scale: The world of Oblivion is about 1/1000th scale. Imagine if the IC had a population of 100,000 NPCs instead of 100. Imagine if you really could get lost in the wilderness. Of course, there are technical problems with this goal, and making 100000 names up alone could get tiring, but these can be overcome. Maybe procedurally generated people? DF does it.

-Don't upgrade the graphics: Go for depth not shine. But everybody here at B12G knows that.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
Re: TES V: What should it not do?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 02:01:21 am »

I know this is a wishlist in all, but no voice acting is definitely not going to happen, and they'll almost certainly overhaul the graphics - it's likely it would be an entirely new engine. Sad but true. As for scale: I really miss the scale of TES2, despite the repetitiveness, that map was HUGE with hundreds of towns and so forth. I'd also love more ability to do things outside combat - lets run a farm or an inn or something.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 02:26:46 am »

Yeah. Even the scale of Morrowind was so much grander than the scale of Oblivion. Sooo many towns, with very different styles of architecture. Hell, one was even mostly inside of a dead crab.

Alternate endings are a must. I hated how in Fallout 3, after being a magnificent bastard to everyone and everything, and having no reason at all to obey the President's orders other than he told you to, and while all his men are trying to kill you, the only reason to do the really bad ending is because you want everyone to die and don't mind killing yourself in the process.

Another thing that must be changed is the method of skill acquisition. In Oblivion, if you were a fighter who wanted to be able to cast magic, all you had to do was cast a few hundred fireballs, and slowly develop that skill. No real limitation on what you can potentially be capable of other than time. And I have plenty of that.

As for the population thing, they should look at Assassins creed, for instance. Lots of people can just be fodder. That might necessitate a shift of perspective, however, to keep the on screen poly count down.

But yeah, I think a lot of things have to be brought back to Morrowind depth. At least give an option to go into detailed communication in which you can pick up a lot of background information and story that was just absent in Oblivion, and Fallout 3. The thing about making special effects worth the effort isn't really the problem. It's the difficulty of potential targets.

For example, I remember the Dark Brotherhood quest in which I had to cleanse the HQ. The giant orc in Obsidian Armor with the life draining axe always owned me. I had to be far sneakier. I had to steal all the food in the building, and put a poisoned apple on the table and wait for him to eat it.

The world also has to be bigger too. Morrowind was at least four times larger than Cyrodill. They also need the open cities from Morrowind. I know why they did it, to prevent people from getting massacred by high level monsters, but that loading screen every time I enter a city's walls is quite jarring, and as mods indicate, quite unnecessary.
!!&!!

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 02:44:58 am »

Alternate endings are a must. I hated how in Fallout 3, after being a magnificent bastard to everyone and everything, and having no reason at all to obey the President's orders other than he told you to, and while all his men are trying to kill you, the only reason to do the really bad ending is because you want everyone to die and don't mind killing yourself in the process.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 02:54:55 am »

Spoilerized
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

!!&!!

Emperor Iones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 03:43:45 am »

-Physics. Seriously, what the hell.

-Throwing stuff.

-Crossbows.

-More than 12~ voice actors?

-Locational damage. A non-lethal headshot should NOT automatically transfer to shoulder.

-Non-boring melee combat. Think Dark Messiah.

-Economy! Why do beggars think 1 gold piece can buy themselves food/medicine? Guards make five gold pieces a MONTH, and the     cheapest inn cost is 10! 

-So you have tens of thousands of gold. You should be able to do something with it. Buy/build a town, fortify it, defend it against bandits/oblivion/etc.

-Jobs! Why doesn't any NPC work outside of Guilds? For the player, too. Should have an option to earn some money to buy a sword.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 04:42:14 am »

it should not use the gamebryo engine. ever. again.
and yeah. PLEASE get us more than 2 or 3 voice actors or just cut the fucking useless voice acting.

OR AT LEAST FOR FUCKS SAKE it should avoid npc conversations in which both parties use the same actor -.-

oh and the levelling system! as much as i like TES, the mechanics behind it suck donkey balls in a non pleasurable way.
I really enjoy min-maxing and number crunching, but TES does it in a way it's just unfun.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 04:59:56 am by Puck »

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Danaru

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% Manly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 06:57:08 am »

I want them to let us use a little brain power when doing quests.

no "I have been asked to find braygoths amulet, I've snuck into the thief's house, now I need to search the entire place for OH WAIT QUEST COMPASS LOL" or "I've been tasked to solve the mystery of a wandering spy. I should ask around for the closest person to tell me exactly who the spy is and where I can find them even though they're in a cave hidden in the basement of a house."
Odd how "Experiment" in DF is often synonymous with "Raging inferno of death and dispair"

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 07:25:49 am »

Yes, yes, yes and yes  >:(

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 08:33:10 am »

-No teleporting from the wilderness unless you either have a recall spell ready or a few scrolls of intervention on hand. The only fast travel consists of people in towns willing to ferry you places for a small fee. Thus unless you are a wizard, you actually have to plan a route to anywhere.

-Level scaling should be done in very subtle amounts. In Morrowind the higher level you are the higher chance of encountering diseased and blighted creatures, which were stronger than normal ones. Foes should have small armies of mooks with a few skilled fighters or mages, not a cave of evenly-spaced Gods of War.

-Grass models should use no more than 10 polys.

-Grass should never be eye-height.

-Grass should move away from the immediate area of the character as to show your displacement of it and allow you to find items.

-Grass should burn.

-Screw you grass.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 09:06:39 am »

- More than one type of terrain.

- Ship the whole damn editor again.  That was why Morrowind sold more than five copies.

- Fuck your horse armor micropayments.

- To reiterate, either more voice actors, or less voice acting.

- Make scaling of enemies less obvious, namely the way random encounters go from wolves to, like, daedra or some shit after a while.  Scale monsters, don't replace them.

- A bit more intelligence in physics traps.  I shouldn't lose health from standing near a spike log, and the chain shouldn't turn into spaghetti.

- If we're going into Oblivion again, make it look like the descriptions in the fucking books, instead of two models of bog-standard fire and brimstone.

- Skippable fucking tutorial!

- On that note, make more abilities useful than the ones you get in the tutorial.

- Non-medieval European fantasy elements.  Morrowind was awesome, because it had bug-houses, elf Injuns, and unplacable zombie dudes.  Heck, the in game books even described Cyrodiil as jungles.

- More game area.  We've seen Fallout 3, we know you can do it.

- When you're limiting the game area, don't just throw up an invisible wall that says "You may not go this way."

- However, after all that, do keep the guards.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2009, 09:18:29 am »

Reduce the 'Every mile a memory' factor:  I shouldn't be worried that if I go into the dungeon now, it'll screw with some quest I get to go there in the future.

At least not so much, considering you come across these damned things left and right.  There was seriously a spot from which I could see a fort, a ruin, a quest village, a town and a gate all at once....  Seriously:  Long lost ruins not 10 feet from the nearest town?

I hate the scaling.  Mostly since it's possible to control through character development.  Which means you either manage it and beat the game while level 3, or you don't and wind up level 15 with max ranks in running/jumping/climbing trees and getting your ass handed to you.  How is this more balanced and fun than level based areas?

OTOH, I love the alchemy system... More please!  (maybe a more Fallout3 style alchemy lab than carrying all that shit with you, though)

Make special effects worth the extra effort: A paralysis poison is  better sold than it is used, becuase a fighter will never meet opponents who last more than three sword hits.

Bump

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2009, 09:21:12 am »

-Wolves should stay wolves. I can understanding wanted them tougher, so set a range their stats can be in. Thus we won't be facing old sickly wolves as level 1 and facing Fenrir during Ragnarok at level 30. Same with everything else.

-I dunno, for some reason I found the tombs that dotted Morrowind funner than the oblivion dungeons. Who know why? I can't think of anything coherent.

Also, mages find quite a bit of use with paralyze potions. Make an awesome poison, smear your dagger, immobilize half of the goons going after you, fry accordingly, have lunch.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2009, 09:25:19 am »

Co-op. Diablo-style co-op. Saveable co-op. SOMETHING.

And more variety in dungeons. Design wasn't half bad. But Ayleid Ruin #26 is about where the asthetic really starts to grate on you.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8