Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A confused laptop/graphset using newbie's cry for help.  (Read 811 times)

elpyfo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A confused laptop/graphset using newbie's cry for help.
« on: March 08, 2009, 03:28:04 pm »

Hello there, everybody.

As some of you may have undoubtedly derived from my thread title, i am a newbie to DF.
I've discovered this wonderful game during one of my prolonged journeys on the internets, but i'm sure nobody cares for that. Neither do i actually.
Anyways, i really like this game but i'm a dirty graphics-monger, so i decided to use a graphic set.
I downloaded the wonderfully nice-looking set found on http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/df.htm, and launched DF. Then suddenly it hit me: I'm playing on a laptop, and my graphics are all messed up, as in 'only 3/4th of them are showing onscreen', the top and bottom edges of the screen are 'eaten up' by my laptop, so it seems. This is kind of annoying and i don't really know what to do.
If it helps anything, my laptop's resolution is 1280x800.

Thanks for taking the time to read this lengthy lamentation, and for (hopefully) offering me a solution to my problem.

---------------------
A fellow fortress keeper

Proud to be part of this horrible lot.

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A confused laptop/graphset using newbie's cry for help.
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 03:34:05 pm »

go to data/init/init.txt

find these lines

[GRAPHICS_WINDOWEDX:1680]
[GRAPHICS_WINDOWEDY:400]
[GRAPHICS_FONT:curses_square_16x16.bmp]
[GRAPHICS_FULLSCREENX:1280]
[GRAPHICS_FULLSCREENY:800]
[GRAPHICS_FULLFONT:curses_square_16x16.bmp]
[GRAPHICS_BLACK_SPACE:YES]

change the resolutions to the native for your monitor (or whatever you want in windowed)  Don't just copy paste because I'm not using a tileset and it won't work.

then find these lines

[GRID:105:65]     //windowed
[FULLGRID:105:65] //fullscreen

The first number is the number of tiles that will be rendered horizontally, so change that to your desired resolution divided by 16.  Do the same for the vertical (second number).  If it doesn't come out to a whole number, round down.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 03:35:51 pm by Sir Finkus »

elpyfo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 03:37:21 pm »

go to data/init/init.txt

find these lines

change the resolutions to the native for your monitor (or whatever you want in windowed)  Don't just copy paste because I'm not using a tileset and it won't work.

then find these lines

The first number is the number of tiles that will be rendered horizontally, so change that to your desired resolution divided by 16.  Do the same for the vertical (second number).  If it doesn't come out to a whole number, round down.

Allright, will do, thanks.
I'll report in after i tried it :)

elpyfo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 03:44:15 pm »

Didn't seem to do the trick.
This is how it looks

elpyfo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 03:54:23 pm »

...halp?  ::)

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 03:55:41 pm »

That's how it's supposed to look. It's currently not terribly polished, so some things still use the original resolution. Try actually playing. It will use the full resolution in the actual game.

elpyfo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 03:58:26 pm »

I'm sure this isn't how it's supposed to look.
Take a close look at the edges of the screenshot ::)

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 04:14:41 pm »

With windowed it does that.  If you hit f11 it will be fullscreen and should look perfect.  What is happening is that when you say "I want a window this big" windows does that, then adds the borders and stuff which makes the window bigger than your screen.  So for windowed, I'd recommend choosing a lower resolution/grid size.

:Edit: oh, if you mean the part about the text being cut off at the top, that just seems to be a bug.  iirc hitting f11 a few times will fix it.  It should be perfect in fullscreen.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 04:16:20 pm by Sir Finkus »

elpyfo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009, 04:24:50 pm »

With windowed it does that.  If you hit f11 it will be fullscreen and should look perfect.  What is happening is that when you say "I want a window this big" windows does that, then adds the borders and stuff which makes the window bigger than your screen.  So for windowed, I'd recommend choosing a lower resolution/grid size.

:Edit: oh, if you mean the part about the text being cut off at the top, that just seems to be a bug.  iirc hitting f11 a few times will fix it.  It should be perfect in fullscreen.

I just read the edit, and feel terribly stupid now.
After approximately 10 tries, it seems to have worked.
Thanks for the information!
Now, time for some world generation!
(Accidentally flooded my last fortress before getting the graphset one :) )