Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Unahppy dwarves emigrate  (Read 3786 times)

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unahppy dwarves emigrate
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2009, 09:04:30 am »

Dwarven fort denying potentially useful human workers/warriors simply on the basis that they are neither refugees nor human?  That's a bit . . . stupid.  Sorry, but it is.
I'd agree with you, except for all the times it, ya know, actually happened in history

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2009, 02:42:56 pm »

If you could broadly set your immigration/emmigration policies, then you would have the choice of accepting or turning away non-dwarven refugees.

And what happens when elves/humans come around that are technically apart of the dwarven civilization?
Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2009, 03:18:07 pm »

Dwarven fort denying potentially useful human workers/warriors simply on the basis that they are neither refugees nor human?  That's a bit . . . stupid.  Sorry, but it is.
I'd agree with you, except for all the times it, ya know, actually happened in history
That doesn't mean refugees should be the only allowable non-dwarf immigrants in any game at any time.

We should not have arbitrary restrictions 100% of the time just because there were a few times in history supporting the restriction.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 03:20:00 pm by LegoLord »
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2009, 03:35:44 am »

Dwarves acting like robots who gladly accept members of other species into their fort without any questions asked because they provide +2 production is the stupid stance

Not to mention how stupid it would be to make that trip on a flimsy hope to begin with. Refugees are the only ones that make any kind of real world sense
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 03:39:13 am by Pilsu »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2009, 03:57:02 am »

That doesn't mean refugees should be the only allowable non-dwarf immigrants in any game at any time.

We should not have arbitrary restrictions 100% of the time just because there were a few times in history supporting the restriction.

I don't think anybody said there should be restrictions 100% of the time.  Just sometimes, depending on the circumstances.

yooperdude

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Cheese!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2009, 08:54:45 am »

I think I would rather just see it as something that happens, or something you have a preference about but not necessarily an option that is set. If humans or elves want to come and live in my fortress go for it, but have pre-programmed prejudices within the dwarven community. You will now have outsiders coming into a closed community trying to make a life for themselves. This could lead to an interesting inner community, a chinatown of sorts. You already have the ability to see what one dwarf thinks of another, this could be expanded further to add interracial complexities. Eventually your human refugees may get sick of people spitting on them and cracking jokes and would emigrate, or they could be your dwarves best friend. 

Just like anything in DF, I'd rather not set it and watch it happen but just watch it happen and be amazed that the digital dice rolled the way they did.

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2009, 09:00:35 am »

It would be neat to have those kinds of prejudices IN the game.

Like, you might be able to set whether to accept non-dwarven refugees or not. If you do/don't there's pros and cons.

Do accept non-dwarven residents:
Pros: Access to "forbidden" technologies or better stated workers (bows & arrows, wooden armor, maybe elves are awesome archers while humans can wield larger weapons)
Cons: Dwarves don't like living next to non-dwarves.

Do not accept non-dwarves:
Pros: Dwarves are happier in all dwarven communities
Cons: Don't get access to "forbidden" techs. Maybe it irks the humans/elves that "their people aren't good enough" and can lead to eventual war.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2009, 04:23:19 pm »

Dwarves acting like robots who gladly accept members of other species into their fort without any questions asked because they provide +2 production is the stupid stance

Not to mention how stupid it would be to make that trip on a flimsy hope to begin with. Refugees are the only ones that make any kind of real world sense
That is a racism-based argument.  And again, it doesn't mean refugees should be the only non-dwarves to ever immigrate to your fort.  And no one ever said "no questions asked"- if you're at war with the guy's home civ, duh, of course he's not coming in.  But if dwarves have a peaceful relationship with all nearby human civs, there's no reason why he shouldn't be allowed.

Looking at this:
C) Non-dwarven immigrants (maybe a human woodsman or an elven archer)

It's a dwarven fort, you have to be a moron to expect them to just let you waltz in when you show up

Refugees, sure
Tells me you never want non-refugee, non-dwarf migrants to even be possible, which is unfair.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 04:49:25 pm by LegoLord »
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2009, 06:36:24 pm »

LegoLord, read what people are saying.  They're talking about probabilities, and you're taking it as statements about absolute possibility.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 06:39:40 pm by Footkerchief »

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2009, 07:03:09 pm »

I'm referring to one specific argument there.  Yes there could be racism, but that didn't not stop people from other nations from trying to come to America back in the 20's.  I'm not saying it should be absolute, either, or that it should be a guaranteed opportunity.  Just that I think there was some suggestion of excessive restriction.  I was also thrown by the "+2 production" thing, cause DF doesn't use such simple numerical values for that sort of thing.
Just so I remember

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2009, 09:30:13 pm »

It would be an excellent place for personality traits to come into game effect. Open minded dwarves think the more the merrier, whether they're dwarf or elf or human.

Extremely close-minded dwarves might bet unhappy thoughts for living with humans/elves...or even other dwarves. Imagine an extremely prejudiced dwarf who is one of the original founders. If you're not one of the original 7 then you're just mooching off of his hard work, his blood, sweat and tears.

That would be an interesting dwarf to try and keep happy when you 20 noble immigration wave hits, or he might be a good test candidate for that new noble disposal happy-fun chamber

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2009, 12:46:45 am »

I think you should be able to select if you want them to emigrate or not, otherwise some fortresses (such as YOURS) will empty rather quickly. :D

I wouldn't mind about 40 children running away from home. My dwarves breed like CRAZY!
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2009, 07:58:50 am »

Whoever migrating into America isn't exactly the same thing as representatives of another species showing up to a mountain fortress and expecting to be made room for just because their civs aren't currently killing each other

There's no way anyone sane would ever try something that stupid. You're just gonna end up starving to death in the wilderness. The average person would only ever try if they were desperate, IE refugees. Or perverts
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 08:59:50 am by Pilsu »

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2009, 08:38:14 am »

I know you're trying to make a point, Pilsu, but I'm sure you can do so in a much less offensive way.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2009, 09:05:53 am »

I know you're trying to make a point, Pilsu, but I'm sure you can do so in a much less offensive way.

Actually, we've done some tests, and he can't.  Scientific fact.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4