Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Beards  (Read 4281 times)

cman

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Beards
« on: March 08, 2009, 07:03:19 am »

We should have beards. By which I mean:

erith Tomemlitast has been ecstatic lately. He admired the fine beard of a fellow dwarf.
His beard is 1'4" long and is red and menaces with black spikes.
erith Tomemlitast likes Black beards. He absolutely detests Neckbeards.

Beards grow over time, perhaps giving a nice way of seeing how soon children will become useful, and as a predictor of which dwarfs might become attached. Perhaps removal as a punishment.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
Re: Beards
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 07:25:10 am »

My dwarfs (which differ from the "standard" version) have "beards" (and hair) which are actually produced by a symbiotic fungus that grows on the dwarf's face/head.

It can grow anywhere on a dwarf's body, if "trained" to do so, but it grows best-and only naturally- around the dwarf's mouth.

The fungus produces strands of almost pure metal, so that a dwarf with a completely red beard has a beard that's made of over 90% pure copper, a blonde beard (rare) is actually made of gold, etc.

Many dwarfs have beards that are made up of several different types of metal, depending on how well they've been eating.

All dwarf beards are made up of atleast 5% lead (my dwarfs don't have any problem consuming lead, to them it's like zinc or iron for us), but having a beard that's all lead (dull grey) denotes long-term malnutrition, and is a sign of extreme poverty in childhood.

Copper or iron are the most common--because of their makeup, the beards themselves never have extensive tarnishing or rusting, by the way, and only the very elderly dwarfs (and then only if they're sick-it's a symptom of extensive glandular/hormone damage, probably in combination with organ disease-for a long period of time, or entirely unable to groom themselves) might have beards that are beginning to show these signs.

Different styles of facial hair would be nice to see, as would some kind of barber (possibly a "barber-surgeon"?).
For they would be your masters.

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 10:14:36 pm »

It probabaly wouldnt be nessescary to describe how long the beards are, it would start filling up the description box. LOL beard on fire.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 11:26:32 pm »

wow sirhoneybadger, that's actually a pretty awesome thought for dwarven beards. Makes me wonder what each could be made of...

Blonde - Gold

Red - Copper

Brown - Bronze (or brass?)

Black - Lead

White - Tin

Gray - Silver

Am I generally close?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 11:33:21 pm »

Barbossa, I think you flipped Lead and Silver - like dwarves are going to clean their beards often enough to stop silver from tarnishing?

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 12:15:35 am »

meh, it'll all turn brown red and green anyhow.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 12:57:03 am »

Yeah, except that it doesn't.

Beards are made of organic metallic alloys that *don't* tarnish, unless the dwarf in question is old and sick, and then it's only slightly.

The beard "alloy" is also somewhat stronger and much more flexible than pure metal, too.

Beards resemble closely polished versions of their respective metals. Gold will gleam, copper will shine, iron will have a deep black finish.

Brass and bronze don't actually exist as separate beard colors--brown beards are a result of the heavy mixing of other colors.

Aluminum's another "color", though, as is zinc and titanium.

Aluminum beards aren't uncommon, since the fungus (well, "fungal lichen" would be more accurate, actually) can extract the pure metal.

Even platinum, iridium, and other very rare precious metals can exist, but this is rarely encountered, and never as a full color, or even as a full strand of hair, since it would be too heavy for the fungus to support, and so extra quantities of these metals are rejected as waste material, especially in the earlier life-cycles of the fungus growth--the fungus has a cycle that can last for a few thousand years. 

As the dwarf grows older (providing the dwarf is healthy, and eats well), gold and silver (and platinum, etc) will slowly begin to replace other colors, as the fungus further matures.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 01:03:50 am »

Already implemented for the next version: beards, eyebrows, mustaches, hair in any other place you could wish for, hair trimming, hair colors, hair color patterns, inheritance of hair color, hair growth rates, hair differentiation between genders or other intra-species dividers, and about a zillion non-hair-related characteristics to physically distinguish dwarves from each other.  All in the raws.  Hair styling might be going in for this release.

Beard-shaving as a punishment might be going in too:

# Bloat75, MINOR PUNISHMENT, (Future): Minor punishments like fines and beard shaving and permanent marks. Beard shaving implies beards, which implies wrestling with hair.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 01:05:33 am by Footkerchief »

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 01:24:24 am »

I'm hoping Toady might take a look at some of the things I've written about dwarf physiology (specifically hair, but there's other things, like surgery), since some of the new additions into the game will start to have a real impact on what I want my dwarfs to be.

Namely:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
for starters.

I'm not saying all dwarfs have to be that way, but I'd like to be able to mod them to my parameters.

Mostly, I think I should be able to, but there's areas where I won't know until things are implemented.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 01:55:12 am »

I'm not sure I understand why you're concerned about the additions having an impact on your idea of dwarves.  Creatures are going to be more modifiable, not less.  That is, if you could make your idea of dwarves work with the current body stuff, you won't have problems with the new body stuff.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 02:22:32 am »

I'm not sure I understand why you're concerned about the additions having an impact on your idea of dwarves.  Creatures are going to be more modifiable, not less.  That is, if you could make your idea of dwarves work with the current body stuff, you won't have problems with the new body stuff.

Probably not. You're right. But at the same time, there's always the possibility that what I want, and what Toady decides to implement, will be mutually exclusive. If so, I'll adapt my ideas, but why not present them as they are? If only for the entertainment value.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 02:30:21 am »

Beards are made of organic metallic alloys that *don't* tarnish

You probably should have stopped here, and realized that you oughtn't be trying to justify weird fantasy concepts about this before learning what an "alloy" is.

I think you meant "compounds", for the record, which... well the whole thing is silly anyway, but I think you know that.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2009, 02:47:09 am »

I know what an alloy is, and yeah, it being a compound might be more accurate, but this is meant to be an explanation, not a chemistry course.

But for the record, I'm not trying to justify anything. Nor do I feel the need. I'm entertaining myself, and only aiming to entertain *myself*. That's all, that's what I care about, and that's enough.

And before you go making judgements about what's "silly" and what isn't, maybe you should reconsider your choice of entertainment venues.

DF is a fantasy game. Should this be the point where you go and learn what "fantasy" means?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 02:49:03 am by SirHoneyBadger »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2009, 03:31:22 am »

I meant "silly" from a realistic standpoint. I know what fantasy is.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Taal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2009, 03:35:17 am »

I too would personally prefer dwarfs to stay true to the modern stereotype, I.e. Tolkien.

But if what your suggesting on dwarf physiology is allowed to be modded into the game in its entirity, it would both be pretty badass and stand as a testiment to the depth and range of Toadys system and the game itself.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4