Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 20

Author Topic: Complete Newby Play-along Tutorials... are complete!  (Read 481904 times)

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
Re: Complete Newby Play-along Tutorials... are complete!
« Reply #90 on: April 20, 2009, 09:33:33 am »

Although I didn't read everyone else's posts previous to the one I am posting now.
I recommend anyone trying to get familiar to dwarf fortress start off with this tutorial.
I finished it today, but there were some problems that I felt were inevitable, and while playing along with this tutorial, you need to be precise. At times the creator didn't show enough detail or explain in detail important things. Eventually a small problem from the beginning transformed into a larger problem later in the tutorial. For example, Miasma was mentioned in the tutorial, but yet they did not say how to exactly get rid of bodies directly, but instead making a refuse pile. Although I had my problems with it, they are really insignificant towards the overall goal.

I hope anyone else, such as myself, who just began trying dwarf fortress, looks at this tutorial. A friend recommended to me this game. At the end of the tutorial, there were somethings he didn't explain how to do, but said for us to do... or I think so...

Great job though!

No tutorial is ever truly complete, although this is a pretty good one.  But, that's why we also have the DF wiki and this question forum.  Never hesitate to ask!  :)
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Earth Striker Lurin

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's Go to Work...
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 14, 2009, 11:49:18 am »

one suggestion for the tutorial is to revisit the copy of DF you link to in the first post.  It's hard to get it from those sites as many seem to no longer have it. 

Also I guess mayday updated his copy just this month?
"So I looked to the left of me, looked to the right of me, raised the giant's severed arm above my head and said 'Let's go to work...'"   -- Lurin Diamondfist relating the time he had to mine without a pick axe.

Xinael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 14, 2009, 03:15:43 pm »

They do still have it, or the links have been updated. Mediafire definitely still has it.

Earth Striker Lurin

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's Go to Work...
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 14, 2009, 03:30:43 pm »

ok I just remember having trouble in the past, I guess they updated. but this whole tutorial is running on an older version of the game right? not the latest?
"So I looked to the left of me, looked to the right of me, raised the giant's severed arm above my head and said 'Let's go to work...'"   -- Lurin Diamondfist relating the time he had to mine without a pick axe.

Xinael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 14, 2009, 03:44:52 pm »

Depends what you mean by latest. 40d is the latest proper version, 40d11 is a testing version with some bugfixes and other changes, I think.

The idea, though, is the the version with the tutorial isn't updated so that the tutorial always links to the version that it's for. If you want the later version, use it yourself :P

Earth Striker Lurin

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's Go to Work...
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 14, 2009, 04:15:28 pm »

*shrug* makes sense to me.  I went to mayday's site and downloaded what he called the latest and the graphics for the dwarves look different than the ones in the tutorial.

Xinael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 14, 2009, 04:31:58 pm »

Yup, the dwarves have been updated. It's in the changelog as "more Beefmo". You'll see the same graphics in some of Beefmo's threads, he's a user on this forum :P

The old graphics are still there if you want them.

Earth Striker Lurin

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's Go to Work...
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 14, 2009, 05:19:18 pm »

sweetness!

Well I like the new ones. But they're smaller on my screen. I guess I should play with the resolution?

Also I noticed the init is a little different.

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 25, 2009, 01:39:45 am »

There's some good init guide over on the DF Wiki - it's pretty complete so I'm not going to try and repeat it.. so damn complex!

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 27, 2009, 06:50:12 pm »

Is it possible to get a downloadable version of this?

I'd love to follow it, but my home pc does not have an internet connection at present :(
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 03, 2009, 06:08:14 am »

Woo indeed!

carebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 06, 2009, 02:50:07 pm »

Maybe it's just me but the download link to your personal copy of the client (with the world) doesn't seem to work anymore...

Azoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 08, 2009, 02:36:27 am »

Yeah, I can't download the world that is suggested in the first tutorial page. I tried just using it in a regular one but it didn't make much sense...

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 10, 2009, 04:39:05 am »

Oooh, crap ass. I'll update the link shortly.
...or not. Bugger. Am having issues putting it anywhere :( ...my blog can't host the damn file :(

*edit* Ok I got it up. But it doesn't work proper. The file is listed as a PDF. It needs to be downloaded and then renamed to a .rar. Stupid wordpress.com :/

http://afteractionreporter.wordpress.com/files/2009/06/dwarf_fortress.pdf

« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 05:45:50 am by TinyPirate »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 20