Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 20

Author Topic: Complete Newby Play-along Tutorials... are complete!  (Read 481801 times)

I also found your tutorials through Penny Arcade,
« Reply #75 on: April 08, 2009, 08:41:55 pm »

...and this is a great improvement from the casual gaming that I used to do at Kongregate.com.

Re: sand. Unless sand can be discovered underground, there is no sand on the tutorial map. Believe me, when every single one of your nobles mentions that he LOVES windows, it'll encourage you to look for sand.

I am tired of having my game paused and concentration interrupted when the miners find Olivine... there are a LOT of sections of it, down there in the tutorial map. Is there any way to turn off that particular alert?

I want to start a Tower-Cap forest; the wiki seems to indicate that you must find underground water. The underground Z-levels from the aboveground pools of water don't seem to do the trick; is there a suitable location on this map?

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
Re: I also found your tutorials through Penny Arcade,
« Reply #76 on: April 09, 2009, 12:12:17 am »

...and this is a great improvement from the casual gaming that I used to do at Kongregate.com.

Re: sand. Unless sand can be discovered underground, there is no sand on the tutorial map. Believe me, when every single one of your nobles mentions that he LOVES windows, it'll encourage you to look for sand.

I am tired of having my game paused and concentration interrupted when the miners find Olivine... there are a LOT of sections of it, down there in the tutorial map. Is there any way to turn off that particular alert?

I want to start a Tower-Cap forest; the wiki seems to indicate that you must find underground water. The underground Z-levels from the aboveground pools of water don't seem to do the trick; is there a suitable location on this map?
1: Sand is only found in soil layers(as the soil itself, no less.) it's been a while since I was on that map, but I don't believe there's any sand on it.

2: At the moment, the only way to do that is to use the Vein Helper utility(which comes packed with the Dtil utility.), however, this will turn off any and all vein messages, so when you find out you struck native platinum 4 years after doing it, tis not my fault. =P

3:The tutorial map does not have an underground river, sadly, and that is what you need to start growing tower caps, note that all you need to do is actually discover the river itself, then get some muddy underground tiles and voila. :)
Re: I also found your tutorials through Penny Arcade,
« Reply #77 on: April 09, 2009, 02:05:17 am »

1: Sand is only found in soil layers(as the soil itself, no less.) it's been a while since I was on that map, but I don't believe there's any sand on it.
In that case, let it be known for posterity: searches for sand are almost certainly fruitless! I have personally inspected every outdoor tile that was not blue (water) or green (trees/grass). I've also mined out the first few Z levels completely and filled them with bedrooms and stockpiles. No sand. Totally acceptable considering how much magnetite can be found, however. I've got one magma smelter making iron 24/7, and the other smelter doing all other metals; I'm uncovering it faster than I can smelt it. Many steel weapons, crossbow bolts, and suits of armor are in the future of players on this map.

Thanks for the tips, Smew!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 02:07:49 am by NeedsDF2GetThruWorkingDay »

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Complete Newby Play-along Tutorials... are complete!
« Reply #78 on: April 09, 2009, 06:26:42 am »

Damn! No sand! I could have sworn I tried to make sure we had some. I guess I read it wrong. Hmm. Oh well, if folks can get this far they can work it out - perhaps after a "zones" tutorial - those confused me for a while.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #79 on: April 09, 2009, 09:07:52 am »

No problemo, man. :D

morikal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 09, 2009, 07:47:11 pm »

Great guides!

Have you considered adding one on advanced task management? You can use the job manager to schedule bigger tasks without having to mess with individual buildings...
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 01:47:51 am by morikal »

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 09, 2009, 07:53:43 pm »

Yeah, that stuff helped me out no end, and it took me a while to find it. That could help, Tiny.

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 09, 2009, 10:42:50 pm »

Thanks folks.

And using the "manager" function is something I haven't fiddled with much. Will do one on embarking and then look at the manager more closely I think.

morikal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 10, 2009, 01:54:01 am »

Thanks folks.

And using the "manager" function is something I haven't fiddled with much. Will do one on embarking and then look at the manager more closely I think.

When you do start with it, note that you can type parts of words. ie:
if you type
"wood bin"
it will filter down to
construct wooden cabinet
construct wooden bin

Very useful to filter down to a few things if you know the name of the job you're looking for.

ZomBuster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 13, 2009, 05:11:00 pm »

Very nice, I'm on my 2nd fortress now and it's covered in blood, messy and most dwarfs are starving, so I could use this.
« Reply #85 on: April 13, 2009, 09:49:53 pm »

Very nice, I'm on my 2nd fortress now and it's covered in blood, messy and most dwarfs are starving, so I could use this.
That's a damned impressive level of tenacity for a first-timer to have. Kudos, sir.

Earth Striker Lurin

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's Go to Work...
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 16, 2009, 02:30:49 pm »

still pretty new here but I admit it was penny arcade that brought me.

I'm still working on this tutorial as a guide (as well as a really huge one on you tube).

I'm about to start my first military soon!

So far my only trouble is using dwarf manager.  It doesn't seem to like making too many changes at once.  also the newest version appears to have more trouble if you're using the version of DF Tiny's using in his tutorial.
"So I looked to the left of me, looked to the right of me, raised the giant's severed arm above my head and said 'Let's go to work...'"   -- Lurin Diamondfist relating the time he had to mine without a pick axe.

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 17, 2009, 10:17:47 am »

So far my only trouble is using dwarf manager.  It doesn't seem to like making too many changes at once.  also the newest version appears to have more trouble if you're using the version of DF Tiny's using in his tutorial.
The memorylayout.xml for 40d11 that Dwarf Manager v0.7 comes with was/is incorrect, causing it to screw up when you get immigrants/sieges/caravans. I forget where I downloaded the correct layout, so just write over whatever is in your memorylayout.xml with this.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The Practicalities of Fire Imp Defense
Tileset fonts for dfterm/telnet
Win 0.34.11 SDL with 7 binary patched bugfixes
Quote from: They Dig
I have come here to drink booze and breach HFS... and I'm all out of booze.
« Reply #88 on: April 17, 2009, 06:06:14 pm »

The memorylayout.xml for 40d11 that Dwarf Manager v0.7 comes with was/is incorrect, causing it to screw up when you get immigrants/sieges/caravans. I forget where I downloaded the correct layout, so just write over whatever is in your memorylayout.xml with this.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You're my hero!

Saer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Axeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 17, 2009, 09:09:58 pm »

Although I didn't read everyone else's posts previous to the one I am posting now.
I recommend anyone trying to get familiar to dwarf fortress start off with this tutorial.
I finished it today, but there were some problems that I felt were inevitable, and while playing along with this tutorial, you need to be precise. At times the creator didn't show enough detail or explain in detail important things. Eventually a small problem from the beginning transformed into a larger problem later in the tutorial. For example, Miasma was mentioned in the tutorial, but yet they did not say how to exactly get rid of bodies directly, but instead making a refuse pile. Although I had my problems with it, they are really insignificant towards the overall goal.

I hope anyone else, such as myself, who just began trying dwarf fortress, looks at this tutorial. A friend recommended to me this game. At the end of the tutorial, there were somethings he didn't explain how to do, but said for us to do... or I think so...

Great job though!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 20