Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 20

Author Topic: Complete Newby Play-along Tutorials... are complete!  (Read 481800 times)

johnson21

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Complete Newby Play-along Tutorials... are complete!
« Reply #240 on: June 01, 2011, 09:51:27 am »

**NEW** The tutorials are now available in French!

Damn it, I wanted to translate them and put them up on my blog :)

Umm the link doesn't seem to work...

Zarnium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: June 16, 2011, 03:30:49 pm »

Newby here :D.

I want to play along with this tutorial, but if I'm not mistaken, the download link on the first page is for the Windows version. I have a Mac. How do I transfer the saved game and tileset (and anything else necessary for the tutorial) from the Windows bundle onto the Mac version of the game?

Bonus question: Is this guide still reasonably up to date with the most recent release of the game? It seems to be, but I want to make sure.

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: June 23, 2011, 03:59:17 pm »

Pretty much everything can be applied to the current version, some changes have been made, so some small parts will need to be adjusted, but just little differences.

Great guide by the way, it really helps us new players to enjoy the game without loosing time to search for the wanted options.
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

dr_random

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: July 07, 2011, 05:30:57 am »

My second attempt in getting into the game was successful because of this information. Consider giving more info on underground farming.
That's what beginners are likely to do - lock up and set up. I had difficulties figuring out how to place  farming plots underground.
Great help, all in all - thanks for all the FUN I had so far...

Rand

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: July 28, 2011, 10:25:12 pm »

Thank you for the newbie FAQ, I've found the Wiki and the in game help to be a bit inadequate.  I mean years ago I picked up Civ III without knowing what it was really about and learned how to play by actually playing it, but I can't even get that far with Dwarf Fortress.  First I thought it would be a good idea to pick up one of those graphic tools to go with it, Stonesense looked nice, but spent about an hour trying to get it to work because I didn't realize the executable after you have your game running. Then when I finally got the game going I couldn't do anything, my dwarves just sat around idle if I turned the timer on.  I jumped into the help file and it was happy to throw me walls of text but no quick guide on how to simply start playing. 

So yeah this guide is a huge help. 

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: July 29, 2011, 10:30:21 am »

And now I feel stupid.

I've spent the last couple of days working on something approaching a manual for the game... and here it is.

Huh.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: July 29, 2011, 10:43:32 pm »

I picked up Civ III
Besides dwarf fortress, best game ever!
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Lainers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: September 05, 2011, 02:46:00 pm »

Thanks!

nerdyboy321123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: September 06, 2011, 03:38:24 pm »

This guide gives you a helicopter to help out with the learning cliff. I used it (not play along, but as a general guide) and my first fort got over 80 dwarves before !!fun!! in the form of magma flooding occurred. Beautifully done
how exactly did you weaponize cows into emissary-assassins without causing the expected loyalty cascade?

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: September 26, 2011, 08:01:58 pm »

Tip.

make 17 z layer hole bellow a draw bridge. then pull leaver and have fun
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: October 23, 2011, 08:29:18 pm »

Hi guys. A wee update.

I have a project going on that I can't really talk about just yet but will involve a major update to stuff I've written about DF. It is about 2010 and it will be in much the same style (which I would like to think people found fun and approachable?).

At some point this project will likely make the existing tutorials somewhat obsolete (which is good as they are getting long in the tooth), and I hope between this project and the awesome work of Capt. Duck and the wiki contributors DF will be in a highly approachable state!

More on that in a month or two, meanwhile, no point in asking for updates and whatnot because stuff is underway!  :D

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: December 05, 2011, 10:02:05 pm »

I remember when I was a noob. Good times
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Domitian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: December 30, 2011, 01:31:33 pm »

I'm trying very hard to get into this game (totally up my alley, but as mentioned 100^100x before - learning curve ...), but i can't get to the embark stage even.

I generate a world and then use find to look for a place that *all* the tutorials say i should find:
Savagery - low
Evil - low
Temp - medium
Flux - yes
Aquifer - no
River - yes
Shallow Metal - Multi
Deep Metal - Multi
(and some soil or clay)

I have generated 5 worlds no and have never returned a positive result for this. Either EVERY location with Flux has an aquifer (4/5 worlds) or areas without the aquifer are "Cold".

Do you have a tutorial for dealing with this or starting the game from embark? I didn't see it in the list. Thanks in advance (and so far the tutorials i've read have helped immensly in understanding what i'll need to do as soon as i embark!)

-Dom

Frying Doby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 09, 2012, 12:46:55 pm »

The EVIL-LOW is the problem. The default setting is good enough for a good embark.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 11, 2012, 06:35:06 am »

Personally I find that if I'm embarking on a River it's worth disabling Aquifers (Install the Lazy Newb Pack, use the included tool to turn off Aquifers. I also tend to disable "Exotics" meaning that everything that used to require the bugged[?] Dungeon Master to tame is now tameable the same way dogs are).
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 20