Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 20

Author Topic: Complete Newby Play-along Tutorials... are complete!  (Read 481798 times)

Pakhawaj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A few questions
« Reply #225 on: August 31, 2010, 02:24:56 am »

Hi, I'm vaguely following this tutorial (which is brilliant by the way) but I'm using my own generated world.
I managed to irrigate a room in my fortress for farming but though I have seeds in some barrels when I press "q" on the farm I don't have the option to plant any, only to fertilise or fallow, my dwarfs need food. :(
My farm is shaped like this-
_XXXXX__
XXXXXXXX
XXX_XXX_
X__XX_X_
X___X__X
XXXXXXX_
XXXXXX__

The Xs represent the farm.

The entrance to my fortress is down a bank, can traders get down there?
Also, how do I rearrange to job order of my dwarfs? my mining dwarfs keep collecting things instead of mining.

Thank you!

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Complete Newby Play-along Tutorials... are complete!
« Reply #226 on: August 31, 2010, 04:40:12 am »

I'm sure alot of people would really appreciate it if you made a new one with a download like the last one as it was really useful and fairly easy to understand.

Thanks, the issue is I'm not convinced the current build is stable enough for new players to get into without weird, inexplicable and frustrating things happening. Ok, the other REALLY big issue is that I have an 11-month old now and me and the misses are pretty busy! I'll look at a big overhaul once the game hits some form of stability.

Pak - have you gone 'a', 'b', 'c', 'd', through the seasons to check if there are other seasons when you can plant your seeds?

Pakhawaj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 31, 2010, 06:50:00 pm »

I did try that, but I couldn't plant in any season. I started a new game and everything seems to be going well, I'm starting to think this game is easy now, hopefully some beastie will put me in my place. ;)

BoffoDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: September 09, 2010, 03:17:27 am »

31.12 is very stable as far as 2010 is concerned but, as always, there's always various bugs to squash. Considering the magnitude of work you invested in the original guide, holding off on a DF2010 version til 2011ish isn't the worst of ideas.

When I try and get people into the game, I always point them to your writeup, saying that DF2010 is just like the older version, just way more complicated :). Once someone gets over the initial shock of the FUN involved, I link them to the DFFD and point out the amazing Lazy Newb Pack.

If the people actually get that far and start 2010, I have had to hold their hands regarding the new military system... not too pretty! I guess if you are up to a mini tutorial, I would ask for bit on setting up a happy military and an introduction to the burrows system. Having that sort of information in your super clear step by step format would be nice.

Thanks for the original guide btw!

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: September 15, 2010, 05:35:42 am »

Thanks for the commnts, Boffo!

Once I complete my current AAR on me website, and some other bits and pieces, I'll see what I can do about some more tutorials! And that newb pack is superb, as you say!

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: September 17, 2010, 04:34:45 am »

Your tutorials were really instrumental in helping me make the leap from "Ok, I have a bunch of guys standing around...what do I do now?!!" to actually having an idea of what to DO.  When you can do anything...what do you start with?
-Dig a bedroom
-Make a stockpile
-Unload your wagon
-Get a farm going.

In the past month I've gone from clueless newby to "It's simply a matter of carving your way through 6 layers of aquifer stone!"

My favorite thing though about your tutorial were the page-titles.  They still give me a chuckle even to this day.  "Dwarf Whatnow?"
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: September 17, 2010, 07:05:12 pm »

Hehe thanks! And also, we now have the tutorials in French!

Antary

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: September 19, 2010, 06:31:12 am »

I`m not really a big fan of play along, especially on such a game like Dwarf Fortress.
A slight mistake might confuse you. It did for me. After some time I just gave up and started reading it.

eggrock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: September 19, 2010, 08:09:57 pm »

This tutorial made getting over the initial omfg hump easy, thanks much!

mushroom_ff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: September 20, 2010, 07:08:10 pm »

I'm just posting to say :D "Thank you very much" :D Your Tutorials is what finally got me into DF!
Now I'm ready to watch all my little people die horrible dea... uh, I mean live peacefully underground.

N3G4T1v3

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: September 24, 2010, 01:52:35 pm »

Really awesome tutorials, really enjoy the little bits of humor thrown in, makes working through them really enjoyable.
Still busy working through them though, got to about the 7th chapter before I was attacked by goblins, I think, forgot to check what was attacking me, lol, just know that they killed most my dwarfs.
And then one of my dwarfs went all homicide and killed any and everything that came through the entrance of my fort

But it's really has helped me greatly with getting over the initial learning curve, really keen to start playing around with pumps and stuff :D

ShadowMorph

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: October 14, 2010, 03:40:36 am »

Oooh, crap ass. I'll update the link shortly.
...or not. Bugger. Am having issues putting it anywhere :( ...my blog can't host the damn file :(

*edit* Ok I got it up. But it doesn't work proper. The file is listed as a PDF. It needs to be downloaded and then renamed to a .rar. Stupid wordpress.com :/

http://afteractionreporter.wordpress.com/files/2009/06/dwarf_fortress.pdf

I could provide hosting for your files on my server.
Such a good cause, helped me out a lot too so I figured I'd have to atleast offer it ;)

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: November 18, 2010, 04:44:16 am »

Might take you up on that offer - but not right now, away on business for a few days.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #238 on: January 20, 2011, 07:24:39 pm »

the military one desperately needs an update ^^; or SOMEBODY should go about making a military tutorial for 30.x ><
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

DurzoBlint

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 11, 2011, 10:12:14 am »

Great guide for beginners.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 06:10:02 pm by DurzoBlint »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 20