Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 20

Author Topic: Complete Newby Play-along Tutorials... are complete!  (Read 481903 times)

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
Re: Complete Newby Play-along Tutorials... are complete!
« Reply #210 on: August 12, 2010, 08:27:52 pm »

Alright, basically I'm a total idiot when it comes to fortress mode. That's why I wanted to use this. I didn't care that it was 40d, it's good enough for me, but I use a laptop and apparently I have a small screen or something. When I start up the game from the tutorial, it seems about twice as wide as it should be. I go to init to change the resolution, and whenever I close that window it asks me if I want to save it. I say yes. Then WinRAR asks me if I want to update the archives, which I have to or else it goes back to what it was before. If I say yes, I get a little access denied message. If I say no, the resolution stays the same and it's unplayable.

Help?
unrar the files, first of all, after that your problems will be made slightly easier(as in, less impossible.)

rawr359

• Bay Watcher
  • dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 12, 2010, 08:50:03 pm »

How do I do that? Download in WinZIP? Or is there an actual unRARing I can do?
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 12, 2010, 09:24:56 pm »

7zip.org

works a charm on nearly any compression you'll come across
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

rawr359

• Bay Watcher
  • dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 12, 2010, 09:30:27 pm »

I decided to just download WinZIP, but as a thank-you I clicked your thingy.
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 12, 2010, 09:38:17 pm »

Last time I used winzip, it expired after 30 days unless you pay. 7zip's free forever.

thanks for the click!

rawr359

• Bay Watcher
  • dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 12, 2010, 09:47:39 pm »

Turns out WinZIP sucks balls. I'm gonna download 7zip now.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 12, 2010, 10:32:18 pm »

alternatively, you could also have used winrar, which is like 7zip, but a little slower sometimes, and has a popup 30 days after installation.

rawr359

• Bay Watcher
  • dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 12, 2010, 10:41:22 pm »

I was using WinRAR to begin with...

Smew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 13, 2010, 12:29:40 am »

Ah, then, for future reference, open up the rar, highlight the folders you want to extract, right click and hit extract to specified folder, choose a folder, voila!

Soulwithlife

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Fortress Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 16, 2010, 06:17:57 am »

Uh...hi there? I've just joined on the forums (and just started playing Dwarf Fortress too) and have been following this tutorial. The instructions have been fine and its a great tutorial so far, but I just built the stairs in part 2 of the tutorial, and it has informed me that I have 'struck natural platinum' or something along those lines.
What I would like to ask is, will this obstruct the stairs? Am I supposed to mine it or something?
I've heard about how you need a certain quality of equipment to mine certain rocks but I'm not sure...
Can anyone clue me in please?
"Wonderful! Time for a celebration... Cheese for everyone! Wait, Scratch that. Cheese for no one. That can be just as much of a celebration, if you don't like cheese. True? You've run a maze like a good little rat, but no cheese for you yet. Well, maybe a little." - Sheogorath, Oblivion.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 16, 2010, 07:50:00 am »

It shouldn't interfere with the tutorial, platinum's quite valuable though, you might start getting invaders a bit sooner than you'd like.

You can mind it fine with the equipment you've got :) the quality requirement thing isn't in the game yet. No worries :)

Good luck, hope you enjoy the insanity that is Dwarf Fortress!

Soulwithlife

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Fortress Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 16, 2010, 09:58:01 am »

Invaders sooner than I would like? Foo, better get to the military tutorial soon-ish then.  :)
I'm mostly just using this world for the tutorial though, so it won't really matter too much anyway.
Thanks SolarShado!
"Wonderful! Time for a celebration... Cheese for everyone! Wait, Scratch that. Cheese for no one. That can be just as much of a celebration, if you don't like cheese. True? You've run a maze like a good little rat, but no cheese for you yet. Well, maybe a little." - Sheogorath, Oblivion.

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 28, 2010, 08:18:32 am »

Hi all. No new tutorials yet - I'll wait until we have a really solid build again, but I thought you'd like some stats:

- My blog is averaging about 3,000 views a day (so wordpress tells me), almost all of which are on the tutorials (lol).
- Tutorial One received 187,000 views in 2009 and in 2010 is presently on 181,000!
- When Penny Arcade linked the tutorial last year it got 18,000 views, of a total of 55,000 page views that day (AFAICT)
- The link to grab the game zip is clicked about 30 times a day, on average.
- The link to the file has been clicked 29,500 times in total!

So there you go. Enjoy. And if you like Hearts of Iron 3 (or are interested in it) drop by afteractionreporter.com and read my new AAR!

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 28, 2010, 11:31:33 am »

- Tutorial One received 187,000 views in 2009 and in 2010 is presently on 181,000!

A "wow" among "wow"s....  :o

Phreak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 28, 2010, 08:31:32 pm »

Wow this tutorial is still the best after more then a year and I could hardly understand the game until I found it...but it's really outdated and is lacking in some areas (even more so with the latest updates) and I'm sure alot of people would really appreciate it if you made a new one with a download like the last one as it was really useful and fairly easy to understand.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 20