Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 20

Author Topic: Complete Newby Play-along Tutorials... are complete!  (Read 481892 times)

psilocybes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Complete Newby Play-along Tutorials... are complete!
« Reply #195 on: July 13, 2010, 02:30:26 pm »

I'm up to lesson 8 (thanks for all the help) but I still have no idea how to work out underground farming.

How do I dig a trench, flood a room for mud and get the water out?

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 14, 2010, 03:38:07 am »

There are several methods. One is to simply dig a chamber somewhere, maybe 5x5, then on the level above it, dig another chamber, but channel holes in the floor at regular intervals. Build some buckets and designate pond zones over the holes, so dwarves will pick up the buckets and fill the "ponds". This will muddy the floor below it. It's a bit tricky to get every tile muddied, and it can take a while, as each fill pond job only transports about 1/7 or 2/7 tiles of water, and water evaporates quickly.

The other method is digging a corridor from the chamber to a water source, say a brook or a natural pond, but leave the last tile intact. Then build a lever and floodgate at the entrance of the chamber and link them up. Now channel the last tile that separates the pond/brook from the corridor from above. Finally, pull the lever to let water into the room. Make sure to pull it again shortly afterwards, so only a little water gets in. If the chamber has no door, excess water can spill into access tunnels and evaporate there.

If you have a natural pond, you can also calculate how much water it contains (tiles * water level (seen with k)), then simply dig a chamber that is large enough to hold all this water next to it. Or let excess water spill into the rest of the fort, where it can evaporate. Quick and dirty.

A bit more involved than the single floodgate method is to build a watergate with two floodgates in the corridor. This way you can fill the watergate, then separate it from the water source by closing the second floodgate, and finally open it into your chamber to fill it with the correct amount of water. For a 5x5 chamber, I recommend building a watergate with 4 tiles between the floodgate, which results in 28 tiles of water, when full.

When working with floodgates, be aware that dwarves might wall themselves in. You can counter this by digging an access stair somewhere in the corridor. This creates another way into your fortress, though. Usually not a big deal, as the corridor is filled with water and walled off by floodgates, which means only aquatic building destroyers could possibly get in.

A more elegant option IMO is to dig the chamber not on the same level as the brook/pond, but on the level above. Then bring the water to the edge of the chamber by digging ramp/stair and corridor towards the watersource. This time you can breach the watersource, because the miner can run from the water and rescue himself to the higher level of the chamber. Finally, build a screwpump on the level above the corridor, with it's butt aligned with the ramp/stair. Then wait until there is some water on the ramp/stair tile and order a dwarf to operate the pump (q hover menu). Make sure to quickly afterwards order the pumping to be stopped, because pumping moves an insane amount of water per second.

You can use floodgates and pumps to build even more intricate water systems, especially when power from a waterwheel or windmill is involved. An idea to enhance the pump solution above would be to have a second access from the chamber to the water-corridor, so that excess water can flow back. And instead of manually operating the pump, you can build a windmill on the level above, bring its power via gear assemblies and axles towards the pump, and link the final gear assembly that connects the windmill and the pump with a lever (maybe build it before the connection is complete). Now you can switch the pump on and off with the pull of a lever.

A final piece of advice when working with levers: Always wait for the connected part to react, before you pull again. Otherwise the lever state and connected part can become out of sync.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 03:40:46 am by zagibu »
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

Croswell

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 15, 2010, 08:31:37 am »

I registered just to say THANK YOU!!!!

I've tinkered with DF a couple times before, but never gotten the hang of it. With your tutorials I've finally started to understand the basics and even made it through my first year!

Thank you for my newest ADDICTION.

psilocybes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 15, 2010, 12:01:58 pm »

A final piece of advice when working with levers: Always wait for the connected part to react, before you pull again. Otherwise the lever state and connected part can become out of sync.

Thanks i'm getting closer!  I cant get the damn levers to connect to the doors. My levers wont connect at all to a flood gate. When I try to connect it to a door I get a list doors in my fort... but not the damn door i'm using to block the water.  grrrrrr

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 16, 2010, 02:52:48 am »

Strange...maybe it's inaccessible? Or already linked up by another lever?
99 barrels of beer!

InconsequentiAl

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 18, 2010, 01:55:05 pm »

Thank you kindly for all the effort that went into those tutorials.

Another one here who found them incredibly useful for getting to grips with this fascinating looking game.

Thanks!

mwanafalsafa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 21, 2010, 01:59:02 pm »

Is the soldiers and army tutorial still applicable to the newest version?

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 21, 2010, 04:15:37 pm »

Probably not, since most requests in here are for a military tut in the newest version. I have to admit, it has gotten a bit more complicated, but also lots more powerful.
99 barrels of beer!

vehka

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 31, 2010, 07:26:11 am »

I made a table of contents of the tutorial PDF to help me to learn the game. This way it's easier to see all the different things one should learn in the beginning. I'll post it here in case it might help somebody else too. At least it makes finding stuff from the PDF file easier.

I was considering to put it in the wiki as well for easier editing and updating, but I was unsure where to put it. If there's somebody reading this who is more familiar with the wiki's organization, feel free to post it there.

There's a couple of question marks too, since I wasn't sure which parts of the tutorial are outdated and which parts are not.

Thanks so much for TinyPirate for making this guide. I wouldn't have been able to get into the game without it.

TOC for the Complete and Utter Newby Tutorial for Dwarf Fortress

Page number/topic

5   digging
7   chopping trees
8   setting up a farm
10   stockpiles
11   carpenter's workshop
13   beds
14   furniture stockpile
14   digging stairways
17   digging rooms
17   looking around
18   refuse stockpile
19   still and making booze
20   making barrels
20   mason's workshop
21   making doors, tables and chairs
22   communal bedroom
23   designating barracks
25   designing individual bedrooms and a meeting area
26   designating a dining room and a meeting hall
26   designating individual bedrooms
27   finished goods pile
27   craftsdwarf's workshop
28   designating plants to be harvested
28   making bins
28   making stone blocks
28   making stone crafts
29   optimizing booze production
30   trade depot
31   migrants
31   outdoor farming
34   ensuring dwarf stays on the right side of construction
36   trading
40   managing and inspecting dwarves
42   using dwarf manager (/ dwarf therapist)
47   building workshops: mechanic's, leather works, farmer's, kitchen, butcher's, metalsmith's
47   building furnaces: wood furnace, smelter
48   designating vs constructing with stairways
49   expanding rooms
50   smoothing stone
50   engraving
51   building high-quality bedrooms
52   building mechanisms
52   building cages
53   dwarf labor optimization
53   strange moods
55   traps
56   placing a cage trap
56   making charcoal
56   smelting ore into metal bars
57   plant processing
57   making pig iron and steel
57   making steel discs
58   making weapons and armor
58   placing a weapon trap
58   trap layout
58   global orders (outdated by burrows)
61   goblin siege
63   bedroom decoration
63   nobles
64   assigning quarters to nobles
64   bookkeeper
65   stocks screen
65   butchering animals
65   cooking and kitchen management
65   allowing stone types
66    assigning objects to be melted
66   forbidding items
66   prospecting for ore, gems and magma
67–71   military, war dogs, equipment, squad commands (outdated?)
70   zoos
72   magma pool
73   designing for magma forges and smelters
74   building bridges
77   channeling magma
79   building a magma smelter
80   building magma forges and magma glass furnaces
81   optimizing furnace logistics
82   building a high-security fortress entrance
86   secure open-air refuse stockpile
86   marksdwarfs (outdated?)
88   advanced fortress layout
88   building obsidian items
89   statue garden
89   building a keep
93   world building
95   searching for embark sites
98   creating a custom embark party
100   embark strategies
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 02:29:04 am by vehka »

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 31, 2010, 04:16:26 pm »

Looks good, but that's not an index, it's a table of contents ;)
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

vehka

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 01, 2010, 02:29:47 am »

Looks good, but that's not an index, it's a table of contents ;)

Good point. I edited the message appropriately. =)

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 02, 2010, 02:17:43 pm »

I figure I'll just drop in and give a big THANK YOU! to TinyPirate for making this guide. I doubt I would have tried to pick Dwarf Fortress up again without it. I'm still at part 7, but I've learned a lot already, and am starting to understand it. So many thanks!
EoS company name: Vikings Inc.

weediz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 02, 2010, 03:05:04 pm »

I'd just like to say that these tutorials enabled me to play dwarf fortress and appreciate the magnificence of Toady's work. Thanks TinyPirate

ShadowZane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 04, 2010, 07:14:03 am »

Can somoene please make a tutorial on how to make underground farms? Im still having problem to get mud early ingame to the right position..
"Never discuss with an idiot,
first he brings you down to his niveau and then he beats you there cause of his experience"

rawr359

• Bay Watcher
  • dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 12, 2010, 06:32:22 pm »

Alright, basically I'm a total idiot when it comes to fortress mode. That's why I wanted to use this. I didn't care that it was 40d, it's good enough for me, but I use a laptop and apparently I have a small screen or something. When I start up the game from the tutorial, it seems about twice as wide as it should be. I go to init to change the resolution, and whenever I close that window it asks me if I want to save it. I say yes. Then WinRAR asks me if I want to update the archives, which I have to or else it goes back to what it was before. If I say yes, I get a little access denied message. If I say no, the resolution stays the same and it's unplayable.

Help?
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 20