Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 20

Author Topic: Complete Newby Play-along Tutorials... are complete!  (Read 482017 times)

Major SNAFU

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Complete Newby Play-along Tutorials... are complete!
« Reply #180 on: May 08, 2010, 02:35:19 pm »

thanks for taking the time to make and post the pics.

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 18, 2010, 06:30:30 am »

I've created a new tutorial - Using Dwarfs for Medical Experiments. I based the tutorial on something I saw hinted at on a thread here, so I'm guessing perhaps this is something everyone knows for DF2010, but I didn't, and it makes a funny tutorial... so off I went.

Collic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 20, 2010, 01:50:07 pm »

Cool tutorial, I'll be trying that out when I make the jump to the new version. Thankyou for the others by the way, they were indispensable in helping me learn the game.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 08, 2010, 06:45:22 pm »

The tutorial doesn't say anything about what buttons to press to get to those screens.

omarius

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 12, 2010, 10:23:12 am »

These have been so incredibly fun & helpful.  Thanks for your hard work--it sure had wonderful results! :)

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 12, 2010, 05:31:53 pm »

The tutorial doesn't say anything about what buttons to press to get to those screens.

The medical tutorial is aimed at people who have already played through the newby tutorials - or who at least know how to play already. Mine and other tutorials cover zones, placing items and other bits and pieces well enough, I believe!

Snook

• Bay Watcher
  • Sultan of Swing
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 12, 2010, 07:31:03 pm »

Maybe you could do a tutorial for the "improved" military in DF2010?
Hello my name is Kristoffer Jørgensen and I am from Norweigen
I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!

Sfon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 15, 2010, 08:38:10 am »

These were a huge help to me. In fact I recently decided to go back and complete the full tutorial, as I didn't the first time.

Being an old version is to some extent a good thing. True, there will be some stuff to learn and relearn after. Yet the game is so complex that having the tutorial be in an earlier, simpler version helps the learning curve more than hurts it IMO.
--Edit-- Sort of like how the built-in tutorials in some games will completely omit some features at first, putting them in when the more basic stuff is covered.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 08:42:30 am by Sfon »

TheVeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 28, 2010, 06:01:22 am »

Maybe you could do a tutorial for the "improved" military in DF2010?
Yes, please do this. Your tutorials helped me to get started but I really want a proper military :(

Kaneda

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 29, 2010, 08:14:47 am »

Your tutorials are awesome!
I played through them all and have gone on to create my own fortress from scratch which has survived and attracted a baroness and survived a few sieges.

Now I see that I am not playing the most up to date version??? OMG it was already super complex and you are saying it gets more in depth?

Optimist Prime

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 29, 2010, 10:53:57 am »

This a a wonderful tutorial!

I do have one question, though.  Is there a way to remove the graphics/tileset while still keeping the tutorial map?  I actually prefer the basic ASCII representations (a sign of madness, I'm sure).  Can I just delete certain folders/files?

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 29, 2010, 11:37:51 am »

This a a wonderful tutorial!

I do have one question, though.  Is there a way to remove the graphics/tileset while still keeping the tutorial map?  I actually prefer the basic ASCII representations (a sign of madness, I'm sure).  Can I just delete certain folders/files?
from the DF folder, open data\init, then init.txt.
find
[GRAPHICS:YES]
and change it to
[GRAPHICS:NO]
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 30, 2010, 03:09:15 am »

I'd rather delete the contents of raw/graphics and data/save/yourfolder/raw/graphics, but that may just be me.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 30, 2010, 03:39:57 am »

I'd rather delete the contents of raw/graphics and data/save/yourfolder/raw/graphics, but that may just be me.

That might work... overkill though. And I'm not sure what DF'll do if it's supposed to load graphics and can's. Might have to disable it in the init anyway.
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Soluzar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 05, 2010, 11:27:32 am »

Thanks for all the positive words. I am not really sure I will do a tutorial for the next version, I think if you have played through one set the next game version will be easy to pick up - or at least - fun to fail at a few times! ;)
What makes this tutorial awesome though is that you picked out a good starting spot in a good world. I followed your tutorial for a while, and then I decided to see if I could apply the principles to a map of my own choosing. I'd read that sand (a moderately important resource) couldn't be found in the tutorial map, and so...

I tried creating several different worlds but didn't managed to find a starting spot that seemed quite as nicely set up as the one you claimed for the tutorial. If not for the lack of sand for glass I'd just continue with my tutorial save, but that's pretty much the only flaw with your magnificent tutorial. It taught me how to play a game I had previously written off as beyond my capabilities.

If there was a new tutorial, basically the same but updated to the latest DF release and with sand available, that would make it the best possible start for any new player.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 20