Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 20

Author Topic: Complete Newby Play-along Tutorials... are complete!  (Read 482233 times)

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile
Re: Complete Newby Play-along Tutorials... are complete!
« Reply #150 on: March 09, 2010, 05:56:27 am »

just choose the skills , they will get the gear and work on whatever is related to that skill

oh wait , you mean while embarking? well , choose "prepare for the journey carefully"

then chooze stuff

Mr. Penguin

• Bay Watcher
  • Be afraid beautiful people, be very afraid....
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 10, 2010, 09:13:23 pm »

Thank you TinyPirate sooooo much for making these tutorials. I shudder to think what my life would be like without Dwarf Fortress.  ;)
"But doctor, wouldn't that cause a parabolic destabilization of the fission singularity?"

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 14, 2010, 06:05:56 pm »

I think you should know that the DF wiki has moved, so your links to it are out of date (and thus broken) right now.

Edit: Never mind, they seem to be redirecting to the wiki now.  Maybe the old address was reclaimed for redirection purposes?

Edit 2, since I'm still the last poster: Regarding the part about fortifications...  that doesn't really work.  The invaders and your dwarves will still have the same chance modification to hit someone on the other side as their opposing number, because either one is next to a fortification and has to shoot through another from a tile away.  I haven't played through the tutorial to see if that is safe to do at that location, but maybe you should instruct newbies to designate channels on the side the goblins will be on, instead.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 07:39:25 pm by Malicus »

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 19, 2010, 05:06:25 pm »

Hey Tiny,

I want to thank you.  Your tutorial was the first I heard of DF and I played it through and I'm now completely addicted.  Awesome work!

Thanks again!

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 02, 2010, 01:00:36 am »

Would people be interested in tutorials based on the new version? I'm tempted....

If I chose the right zone I could move into glass production, engineering, etc.

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 02, 2010, 02:13:02 am »

I'd say that, while existing forumites probably don't need them as much, updated tutorials are almost a necessity for new members of the DF cult community.
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 02, 2010, 05:34:11 am »

You should probably wait until at least the most conspicuous bugs get ironed out.

NKDietrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 02, 2010, 02:15:58 pm »

Would people be interested in tutorials based on the new version? I'm tempted....

Your tutorials are what taught me the game. I'd go through a new set of tutorials from you based on the new version just for fun, even though I already know how to play!
« Reply #158 on: April 02, 2010, 02:32:35 pm »

I'd make my roommate go through it for sure! As it stands, I'm having a hard time convincing him to go through the original tutorials because he thinks it'll only be partially-relevant to "The New DF".

I was kinda hoping you'd do new ones, but I didn't feel right asking, since you've already done so much for the community. I love the idea though!

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 03, 2010, 11:24:35 pm »

You should probably wait until at least the most conspicuous bugs get ironed out.

Yup, thought as much myself.

I've decided I probably will do new tutorials as editing the old ones would be nigh-impossible ...and/or a really tedious job. Doing new ones would be a lot more fun.

Daemonfaa

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 04, 2010, 05:18:06 pm »

Yup, thought as much myself.

I've decided I probably will do new tutorials as editing the old ones would be nigh-impossible ...and/or a really tedious job. Doing new ones would be a lot more fun.

Praise the lord!

tsxp

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 05, 2010, 06:11:47 pm »

Just wanted to say thanks for the tutorial.  I kept seeing people say "play Dwarf Fortress" on Reddit, but decided not to try it because my imagination sucks and ASCII art just wouldn't do it for me.  I decided to keep researching anyways, and I found this tutorial with the tileset (hooray!) and decided to try it anyways (it's free, right?).  3 hours later I thought 30 minutes went by.  Epic epic game.  Love it.  Thanks again.

Razputin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 08, 2010, 06:03:57 pm »

I just went through your tutorials (up to the military one so far) with DF2010 and most of it was accurate the only things I noticed different were irrigation being neccessary, and the military being completley different so I imagine some tutorials could be kept the same. (I used the setup from captain ducks video to embark)

If you are considering it I would do the military first I only got the basic makeup of the sqauds from there and then read the wiki to actually create the military.  Irrigtation I was able to figure out easily enough though a note might be helpful to let people know it is neccesary.  Also the embark settings or just the save file would make it easier for people to follow with 2010.

Thanks for the tutorials so far they have been very helpful.

stretch

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 13, 2010, 07:03:32 am »

Does anyone know if these tutorials are hosted anywhere else?

I am in China for three weeks and was planning on running though them, but it appears that the hosting website is blocked by the Great Firewall of China.  :(  very annoying, as I will have to continue dabbling in ignorance and looking at the wiki.

Tall

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 14, 2010, 07:15:22 pm »

Try using the onion router.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 20