Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 20

Author Topic: Complete Newby Play-along Tutorials... are complete!  (Read 482023 times)

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
Re: Complete Newby Play-along Tutorials... are complete!
« Reply #135 on: January 13, 2010, 05:25:57 am »

These tutorials rock. Thank you very much.
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 19, 2010, 02:32:29 pm »

Whn I first downloaded DF straight off the website I thought "Fuck, I'm a pretty smart dude, I don't need no shitty tutorial" then I started playing it and I thought "Holy shit what is this bullshit?" that's when I found your tutorial a life saver, thanks.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 03, 2010, 08:26:28 am »

Definitely appreciated these! I used them to get into the game, and I don't think I could have without them.

Stabwound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 04, 2010, 01:48:21 am »

This is by far the most practical and useful tutorial there is. It gives you a really good basic understanding of the game, enough to actually play and figure out the other stuff on your own.  ;D Pair it with the wiki and you're golden.

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://Facebook.com
« Reply #139 on: February 06, 2010, 10:04:32 pm »

I've read, but not played along with, this tutorial and looking at what happened with the PA link it's a great thing.

I just want to add my request that you do another on mechanical gizmos. Collapsing floors, bridges as traps, but mainly

towers of water &/or magma pumps.

THAT is the tutorial I need. The wiki hasn't got me over that hump, I'm ashamed to say.
Is there any way to remove mud outdoors?
Yea, use dirt roads to clear off the mud.
Garrie.

Percival

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 07, 2010, 01:49:13 pm »

It's been a few months since I abandoned my tutorial fortress now, but I want to say that I thoroughly enjoyed the tutorials. They were exactly what I was looking for to get started with DF.

I also want to make a suggestion: somehow mod the included map so that the dwarfs have access to sand. Maybe mod the raws to give the soil on the map the [SOIL_SAND] tag? Or use some editing tool to create a patch of genuine sand somewhere?

Purists might argue against foisting the issue of modding on beginning players, but I think a simple disclaimer would be enough. "Normally you need to find sand when you embark, but I've added it here for educational purposes." Something like that.

Maulrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 09, 2010, 12:57:55 am »

I just wanted to say that these tutorials are what really gave me the skills essential for playing DF. A few days ago, I showed it to three of my friends, and they got hooked on DF too. Thank you so much!
puppywhirrrrrrl

DFPongo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 11, 2010, 12:11:33 pm »

Pretty mush the same as everyone,
Thanks Tiny Pirate for your excellent work. Now I can stop whining about how hard the game is to figure out and pretend I did!
A strange mood came upon me, I have locked myself in a print workshop with your pdf and am engraving a cover.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 17, 2010, 10:21:02 am »

+1, without them I would not have been able to go into this game.

About DF, as a newbie, I want to say two things:

- this is perhaps the most imaginative game I ever played (and I play since Master of Magic and even much before)
- it has the worst interface I ever saw.

DFPongo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 18, 2010, 11:18:36 am »

Is there a way to edit the embark party? or just start again in the same world spot but with your own party?

garfield751

• Bay Watcher
  • Aaauuugggghhhh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 22, 2010, 09:52:30 pm »

Is there a way to edit the embark party? or just start again in the same world spot but with your own party?

Do you mean make your dwarves do diffrent things like makeing your miner make plant crafts? if so then push v hover the cursor over a dwarf then push p then l and then select the skill you want to dwarf to do.

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 24, 2010, 04:07:04 am »

hay , where is dat sand part you promised us?

i mean , it will help newbies , when they saw "glass" "sand" and go all berserk just because they cant to it

Afthartos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 01, 2010, 05:59:51 am »

Complete Newby Play-along Tutorials... need to be redone as soon as next version comes out
YOU SIR, HAVE COMMITED DORF SCIENCE!

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 02, 2010, 05:28:37 am »

Finally got around to creating an index page on me blog showing the tutorials in a list. Nothing folks who have read the original post don't already know, but thought I'd pop the info here anyway.

Thanks for all the positive words. I am not really sure I will do a tutorial for the next version, I think if you have played through one set the next game version will be easy to pick up - or at least - fun to fail at a few times! ;)

DFPongo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 08, 2010, 02:08:02 pm »

Do you mean make your dwarves do diffrent things like makeing your miner make plant crafts? if so then push v hover the cursor over a dwarf then push p then l and then select the skill you want to dwarf to do.

No, I meant pick the skills and gear for my runts and start in the same place.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 20