Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 20

Author Topic: Complete Newby Play-along Tutorials... are complete!  (Read 482021 times)

Anti-Paragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Clerk
    • View Profile
Re: Complete Newby Play-along Tutorials... are complete!
« Reply #120 on: November 18, 2009, 06:35:26 pm »

I've been trying to get a few people introduced to Dwarf Fortress using this tutorial, but they kept telling me something was wrong. It turns out that your first download link, Filedropper, has the wrong game saved. Instead of the tutorial game, it leads to a non-graphic tileset game of a small copper mine.

We got over the hump, but I fear it might be a stumbling block for anyone else that does the same. Just letting you know.

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #121 on: December 02, 2009, 04:17:18 am »

Just wanted to say thank you for a great tutorial. Started it some time ago, but didn't finish it as I wanted to start playing "for real", but recently got back to it after some more or less botched fortresses, and this time played it pretty much 'til completion. Working on digging those shafts now - I have one for refuse (as requested) almost done, one for drinking water (dug a shaft under one of those ponds near the fortress entrance), and a third one I don't know what to do with.

Truly a great piece of work. A couple confusing errors (such as your advice to build a Glass Furnace on a map with no sand  ;) - fortunately I happened to read the comments for that one article), but mostly a great tutorial. Just the fact that it's play-along makes it so much more useful.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 04, 2009, 06:11:55 am »

I've recently fixed the tutorial download link. I have no idea how that fortress got there. I'm not even sure it is one I've played. I suspect filedropper may be a bit rubbish. The other link works fine still, just in case.

Thanks for the other bits of tutorial advice. I'll look at doing some more tutorial work in due course, but it's time and brain consuming and I keep putting it off in favour of playing games! Madness, I know :)

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 09, 2009, 12:49:29 am »

Holy smokes, this sounds great. I haven't read it yet, but I have a feeling this just might save me from my utterly horrifying DF skills (first time around, I somehow got a miner to die of thirst before getting a single building up, even reading all the wiki tutorials I could find. The next time, I managed to get up some basic buildings and even a farm before I accidentally trapped my miners underground while trying to make a ramp. The third time I played, I couldn't find any soil, and my smelting operations to get an axe messed up. I figured I wouldn't be able to get food nor wood, so I just ragequit). Thanks a ton!

I have some problems though:
1. I've had two secretive mood dwarves so far - I had to kill one and I plan to kill the other. The problem is, they ask for all normal stuff - wood, shell, etc. that I have readily available, often right next to them, but they still just sit there and don't get it. It's not forbidden or anything weird like that. What could be causing this?
2. How do I catch an animal for breeding? Does the "available/unavailable" thing on the Animals status screen have anything to do with it?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 04:16:16 pm by Cheddarius »

Rob00

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 09, 2009, 01:36:36 pm »

I've been reading this tutorial, it is excellently written. Thanks TinyPirate for the effort you put into teaching newb's how to enjoy DF. I was a bit hesitant about the game, not sure if I would like it or not, but this tutorial propelled me into the world of the enlightened, letting me appreciate the greatness that is Dwarf Fortress!

Mafol

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Dwarf Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 15, 2009, 04:48:59 pm »

Now going through tutorial 2.
Untill now this is a very clear and helpfull tutorial!
Thank you  ;)

Dizzan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 17, 2009, 12:20:50 am »

Currently only on the first few steps. After watching close to 10 vids of captnduck, I am now putting my skills to the test. So far I have the basic layout and just made my first farm plot and seeds are being laid.

Wish me luck!

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 17, 2009, 12:46:08 am »

Good luck!

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 20, 2009, 08:45:29 pm »

@Cheddarius - If the goods are available, but they aren't building anything (or sitting in a workshop frustrated), then they are probably missing the workshop they need. Try and make sure you have one of every kind and they should run off and claim the workshop then.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 21, 2009, 12:33:54 am »

Ah, so they can sit in a mason's workshop but actually want to use a jeweller's workshop or whatnot?

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 21, 2009, 12:42:01 am »

If the workshop they are sitting in says it is claimed, then your just missing the item they need. Watch the needed items list very carefully for the full list of items, its easy to miss a single item. For secretive moods, when they say Stacked Cloth, it means either plant or silk. If they've already started gathering items you can determine what the first item in the list is, allowing you to see exactly what it is your missing.
The Practicalities of Fire Imp Defense
Tileset fonts for dfterm/telnet
Win 0.34.11 SDL with 7 binary patched bugfixes
Quote from: They Dig
I have come here to drink booze and breach HFS... and I'm all out of booze.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 21, 2009, 01:08:41 am »

Yeah, but they always ask for a few mundane things that I have absolute loads of... and they never start work.

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #132 on: December 31, 2009, 09:46:59 pm »

There's no chance of a play-along-ish Adventure Mode tutorial, is there? Tried several times to get into it, every time in vain.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

Xavier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 08, 2010, 06:55:22 am »

Excellent!! I wouldn't be able to climb the DF Learning Curve without those!!!

Many many thanks Mate !!

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 10, 2010, 01:47:38 am »

I've got to say. I've been playing for a few months now, and I would never have been able to understand this game without your tutorials. I still use a modified version of your design for workshops and storage.

Thanks for helping me get into the game.
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 20