Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 20

Author Topic: Complete Newby Play-along Tutorials... are complete!  (Read 481901 times)

nameless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Complete Newby Play-along Tutorials... are complete!
« Reply #105 on: June 11, 2009, 09:00:31 am »

TP, a few tips to add to your upcoming primers....

Glass:  Cutting green glass is a phenomenal way to skill up your gem cutters.

Work orders vs workshop orders:  Using the manager screen is incredibly useful, but sometimes putting an order on repeat is a better move.  A good example is glassmaking.  You're constantly going to be monkeying with gathering sand vs making glass.  The solution is to make several glass benches, and put on 'gather sand' as a repeatable task, and then use work orders for your glass products.  Other good candidates for repeating jobs:  make rock crafts, brew drink, prepare easy meal.

Never underestimate the value of containers.  It's almost always worth having a job in the work order queue for 30 wooden barrels, 30 wooden bins and 30 bags.  Just make sure you have a big furniture stockpile :-)

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 15, 2009, 09:51:38 pm »

Thanks for the tips. Stupidly, this map doesn't include any sand.

I'm planning on working up a mechanics/pumping tutorial once I finish up my Sims 3 story and my Empire TW AAR :)

dingbatty

« Reply #107 on: June 22, 2009, 07:21:50 am »

This tutorial has saved my butt. Thanks.

Vynergy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 03, 2009, 12:39:56 pm »

I actually learned a lot more from this tutorial! Probably because it *was* made for a complete and utter newby. I hope more people take notice of it, it's a simple but efficient tutorial for a great game.

Thanks Tinypirate  ;D
"I can only think of one game that allows me to genocide anything through needlessly advanced death-traps for great profit.

That game is Dwarf Fortress."

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 14, 2009, 06:16:07 am »

No worries. I think I'll do engineering next. Soon. If you're lucky. And I find the time. Just finished off an Empire Total War AAR on me site so that's taken a crashy burden off my plate!

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 14, 2009, 06:16:50 am »

Yes! Made it work. Took only 2 hours. Now to test it out.
It's great.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 07:07:33 am by Ottofar »

Elvin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 14, 2009, 10:30:21 am »

Once again, great tutorials.

Have you considered doing one for adventure mode though? I've played it and been thoroughly lost by it, and have got no-where near so much as recruiting a drunkard as battling demons in the halls of the goblin hordes.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 16, 2009, 10:23:22 pm »

There really isn't anything to do in adventure mode.

AussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • [Australian]
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 15, 2009, 04:31:41 am »

I'd like to say after a long absence from this game this guide really got me back into playing and making me fear carp all over again.

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 16, 2009, 07:10:18 am »

In one part of the tutorial (I forgot which one) you explain how to assign bedrooms to dwarves. Although that's very useful for nobles and special dwarves, it's in most cases very tedious, unpractical and not needed.  Every dwarf claims exactly one unassigned bedroom if they don't have one already.
If it's possible, could you edit the part where you explain this and instead explain the assigning in the part about nobles? It saves a lot of micromanaging; you can just build 40 bedrooms and the new immigrants will automatically claim their bedrooms.

Great tutorial by the way! You totally earned that sticky. ^^
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 07:12:37 am by MC Dirty »

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 24, 2009, 04:27:44 am »

^ Thanks! Great tip. I will edit it now. :)

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 24, 2009, 11:37:02 am »

A few comments:

1. I love this guide. In all honesty, right now if Toady were to just adapt this into a play-along tutorial in DF he could strike that off the list of things to do, it teaches you all the basics.

2. You mentioned you were going to do a pumping/mechanics tutorial next. Make sure you cover the ins and outs of pumping magma, I still can't get that to work right. You also might want to mention trapping the magma channels for players who don't want to use the fortification exploit or who are dealing with undead imps (who I've seen slip through them before). Bauxite mechanisms with iron/steel weapons or iron/steel/nickel/nickel silver cage traps (one for each imp in the pipe) will keep them from ever reaching your dwarves.

3. If you're planning to cover biomes and wild animals, you may want to upload a second map (or just include it in the original download) for an evil biome. Once players are used to playing in a normal or good map, they're ready to learn the ins and outs of surviving werewolf attacks and warding off beak dogs and undead livestock.

4. You may want to cover metalcrafting and metalsmithing a little more in depth. For months I thought metalcrafting was a waste of metals until I realized that six exceptional aluminum cups can buy out a wagon, and copper bins, barrels, and cages are a great way to train up metalsmiths for designing metal furniture (I think that metal ores having the same value as the metals will probably be fixed at some point, otherwise there's no reason to smelt metals except to make weapons and armor).

5. In the advanced tutorials, if you want more material, a quick overview of installing or even creating mods would be appropriate.

Some of these things may already be in there, I stopped following the tutorials right after you got to the magma and just spot-checked em, but those were the major hurdles I had to get through when I started playing for real.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 25, 2009, 12:33:20 pm »

^ Thanks! Great tip. I will edit it now. :)
Yes, that's definitely better. But complete and utter newbies might forget to actually designate the room. I know that because I sure did. You don't have to assign the room to the dwarves, but you have to make the room itself. If you would add that, it would become even better than it already is.
And it is pretty damn good! ;D

Ubern00b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 09, 2009, 03:02:07 am »

Just thought Id say thanks for the n00b tutorial TinyPirate, It was yours that finally made sense.
Maydays tileset helps a ton too, good choice there.

Quote from: Canuhearme(Facepunch Studios)
Isn't Dwarf Fortress just a game of delayed free-fall into a hideously painful and frighteningly horrific death?

Dachande

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 09, 2009, 11:50:54 am »

Thanks, mate! This was how I learned how to play.

The fortress I made while following your guide is still going strong. I'm particularly fond of the fortified ramp down, though it's not quite as effective when your marksdwarves refuse to shoot anything.

...anyway, thanks a bunch! great guide :D
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 20