Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Magic: by dwarfs, for dwarfs  (Read 8076 times)

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
Re: Magic: by dwarfs, for dwarfs
« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2008, 08:59:00 am »

Ah, now, a bit above inthis thread was a good, Dwarvish idea for magic: geomancers in tune with stone and metal. I see them wandering about, revealing parts of the unexplored map, telling me where water and magma are, and perhaps improving the quality of forges and smelts. Also, geomancy could be a wonderful combination skill for smiths, miners and stonecrafters, that would improve the quality of their output.

So Geomancy, together with Artificing (used as a combination skill with Runic, Engraving and a production skill) seems to me the most reasoinable, practical, implementable and Dwarvish magics.

You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

InquisitiveIdiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2008, 03:59:00 pm »

I'm afraid to say that despite how our conversation has gone inside your head, I have never said anything about singing.  I'm sorry.

The colloquialism you're looking for here is "beating my head against a brick wall."  To "beat a dead horse" is to try to make a point over and over, even though everyone watching or involved has gotten bored of it.  For example, if I were to continue to point out your hallucinations and fallacies much longer, it would be "beating a dead horse."  I am not calling you a horse (at least, not the whole horse), nor your arguments, but using the term to mean that to further mock you would be a waste.  So I shan't.

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2008, 06:18:00 pm »

Is there a moderator on hand who can cull the trolling out of this otherwise good and constructive thread? kthxbye
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2008, 07:15:00 pm »

I haven't noticed a whole lot of moderators around these parts, have you? I'm wondering where I can sign up.
For they would be your masters.

Jayfrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2008, 10:40:00 pm »

I like the elemental idea, the problem with magic is the epossibilities are as endlessas anyones immagination, perosnally i tihnk a shamatic magic would be cool, make use for those totems and other things like bone crafts of sorts (idols) and maybe commune with spirits (being the entities) make worship rooms with totems (this is more religious and magic) have them equipable as a weapon and depending on the deity the shaman worships have them preform differently, like healing or runic etc. have a noble known as the elder, and other dwarves start to follow their deity which means less worship rooms and one big one,

Urist Dumanian cancels sleep: seeing visions of <elders>
Urist Dumanian now worships <elder's deity>

I personally think this would be an interesting bridge form magic to religion and back again and has endless possibilites.

I also like the elemental and runic ideas im sure these three could be spun nicely into the game together...

My child got ripped to shreds by invading goblins, which caused my wife to go mad and was shot down by the town guard for attacking the brewer and they both rotted before my eyes....

But dayyumm my room looks nice

Mood: Fine

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2008, 11:26:00 pm »

There are so many different things already in the game that you can look at and wonder what Toady has in mind. Totems, musical instruments, philosophers, let alone magic. It's really ambitious, and the great thing is how fast Toady is about implementation. I've been waiting for FreeOrion for years, and they have dozens of people working on it, trying to replicate a game that's already been made, and it's gotten a lot less far than Dwarf Fortress.
For they would be your masters.

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 09, 2008, 01:03:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Hague:
<STRONG>If you follow DnD mythos, there shouldn't be dwarven wizards at all...

Now, I can see dwarven alchemists and dwarven priests, but not dwarven wizards.</STRONG>

Hahah!  You had me goint there for a minute, but D&D dwarves have a long and glorious history of using magic!  Usually, they just use it to make +2 axes and such, though.
Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2008, 12:01:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by SirHoneyBadger:
[QB
Lightning (Gremlin)
Note: Lightning weapons, if improperly deployed, can prove more dangerous to the wielder than the enemy. Gloves and boots MUST be worn, and only wooden and leather armor can be worn, or the dwarf will quickly die. Also, the dwarf will die if a lightning weapon is carried into any depth of water. That said, lightning weapons would do extra damage to metal armor wearing foes, and aquatic life.  [/QB]

Electricity don't work quite that way, wearing all metal would be a quite and effective defense, because it would act like a faraday cage.

The great game of Warlocks!

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 12, 2008, 11:31:00 am »

I like the idea of gems, but i always thought dwarven magic would be something every dwarf uses, it would revolve around gaining a feel for certain elements and then when in danger or just feeling creative unleashing that in someway.

eg:
A miner when mining would slowly level up earth magic, when threatened he hits the ground with his pick and great cracks appear creating a trench between him and his enemy allowing him to escape. Or when mining he chips away at that gold vein only to discover the if he hits it right some gold grows back meaning that from that one square he manages to create 5 native gold boulders instead of one.
similarly herbalists might have vines grow around their enemies or a fisher dwarfs enemy might find their lungs filling with water or a smith could turn their skin into steel causing those arrows to bounce harmlessly off. dwarven soldiers do not gain skill in any magic making skilled workers slightly better soldiers than peasents.

[ March 12, 2008: Message edited by: thatguyyaknow ]

Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 12, 2008, 12:05:00 pm »

quote:
making skilled workers slightly better soldiers than peasents.

Slightly?!
I would make a full smith-ONLY army them if it's the way you describe.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

McWaffle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 12, 2008, 12:52:00 pm »

I figure it'd be easiest to work magic in along with some sort of temple/altar religion system.  Zone out a temple, have a noble-like priest, then on occasion your dwarves will have a "divine inspiration" mood or something (like a fey mood), and will create an enchanted item having to do with their god.  "This is a finely crafted (themed item).  On it is a well-designed image of (something), the symbol of (god name), in masterfully worked (themed material).  It is surrounded with a magic aura." etc.  As for what they'd actually do I have no idea.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 12, 2008, 01:22:00 pm »

You guys need to get the opinion of say Toady.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 12, 2008, 01:40:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Deon:
<STRONG>
Slightly?!
I would make a full smith-ONLY army them if it's the way you describe.</STRONG>

Magic would level up very slowly so unless you put legendarys into the military they are unlikely to use it and like say novice metal mage would only have like bronze skin for a little while so id would raise their damblock by only a little.

Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 12, 2008, 08:03:00 pm »

How I (a relative outsider) see the magic, as it has been presented in this thread:

Gem Magic:

Pros: Can create just about any effect you want, has a wide range of levels and wouldn't be too hard to implement.

Cons: Would be a pain to actually use.  Collecting specific gems and placing specific animal parts in them?  Worse than collecting sand for glass.

Runic magic:

Pros: Would be easy to use and implement, and could be very powerful.

Cons: Would be hard to introduce anything truly new.  Might make engravers waaaay powerful.

Magic Flows:

Pros: Fits the game, and player skill becomes a huge factor, which is a very DF way to do things.

Cons: Achieving specific effects would be frustrating.

As a Mineable:

Pros: Also very dwarflike, allows creation of great artifacts, and can be used in a very wide variety of items.  You can control what items they go into.

Cons: Less variety of effects than flows or even runes.

Magic Sources:

Pros: You can do anything, with any race, and change it for each one.

Cons: Can you imagine keeping that straight?  Or organizing it?  Hideous.

Elementalism, Runic, and Flow magic all look like the most promising ones so far to me.

Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster

WillNZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 12, 2008, 08:26:00 pm »

I think people like magic threads so much because it allows them to fantasize what DF could be. The chance of any one set of ideas being used by Toady is fairly close to zilch, and in any case, we're a long way off right now. I'm not saying that these threads are a complete waste of time, just that there's a ridiculous number of them with fairly similar ideas.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8