Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Empire: Total War thread - temporarily $25 on steam!  (Read 5393 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Empire: Total War thread - Sing tow, row, row, row, for the Grenadiers!
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2009, 09:44:49 pm »

Diplomacy is as pointless as allways

actually apperantly they improved it in certain ways.

For example they are more willing to stop a war if it has gone on for a particularly long time.
Haven't seen it. France has one city for the past 80 turns and and zero victories since they started the attack on me and they still refuse any peace treaties I offer (even when I offer my own cities as part of the trade). Same goes for all those mini native American factions.

Like I mentioned earlier, the better you do in the game, the more everyone hates you.

p.s: I noticed that some micronations exhibit suicidal behaviour. For example, my power rating is "Terrifying" and their power rating is "meagre". I have 5000 troops sitting around the area waiting to march on my enemies and they decide to declare war on me and send 300 men into my lands to be slaughtered. Happens quite often.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2009, 11:02:55 pm »

Yeah, AI is kind of funky like that.

If you're playing on VH/VH (very hard - both settings) and you're remotely powerful, everyone hates you unless you continue to gift shit to certain nations.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2009, 01:15:15 am »

I noticed that when I played on expert difficulty, I can have 3 max veterancy 1st rates vs 3 max veterancy 1st rates duking it out with one another and totally annihilate the enemy to 2 slivers of life for every single ship... but can't kill them.

For example, all three of my ships are in the green while all three enemy ships are on fire and red but we can continue like that until I LOSE all three of my ships and they won't die.

It's pretty unfair...

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2009, 06:06:30 am »

Deploying a ranged unit behind a stone fence where the enemy is hiding makes for some very long fights.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2009, 04:22:18 pm »

Uggg. I spend more money each turn repairing armies then i usualy receive and am repeatedly pushed back to my capital where the militia help me out, allows me to rebuild a bit for my next campaign where exactly the same happens. You can't use a full stack to steamroll your way across several provinces at once anymore, after 1-2 battles your army is completely exhausted and can't win any fights on it's own anymore. Repairing is highly expensive, slow(3-4 turns, double that if short on cash) and unreliable. For the ammount it takes me to retrain a single unit of line infantry i could recruit 3 new ones on the other side of the world, if they ever get repaired at all that is. I own(and have owned for the last 40 turns) the netherlands, curaçao(why did we have to spell that with a letter we don't even have?), dutch guiana, sri lanka and the pirate islands. The americas are completely deadlocked by several huge french/spanish fleets, which declared war on me because i refused to give them one of my provinces, despite me actively trying to avoid said war. In europe i keep getting mobbed by france, spain, hannover, westphalia, wuttenburg and austria, which between them dump a full stack onto my land every single turn while i wrestle with the UI to give me my reinforcements. The militia is suprisingly competent behind walls and they automaticly replenish after sieges but having to defend exactly the same fort with exactly the same units(give or take a few line infantry dudes) against exactly the same army atleast once every turn for 40 turn straight gets REALY FUCKING TEDIOUS. Emphasis justified. Before you ask, despite 20+ save scumming attempts looses that battle every single time.

After the novalty of the time period wears out(which it does after the demo) and you realise that the only units you should care about is line infantry, it becomes a second job.

Advice: play demo, move on.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Kalimar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2009, 11:49:36 pm »

I don't like this "PAY FOR SOME EXTRA UNITS" garbage. Now I can't enjoy the game knowing I don't have some units.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2009, 02:48:05 am »

Playing as whatchamacallit in india, it's basically a straight up slug fest with a lone AI in the Murgal empire.  The AI starts with 20 territories.  I started with 2, but didn't do stupid things like send units out in small groups to be slaughtered in detail.  9 whole years is all it took to completely conquer a mighty empire.  Hail Hindustan! 
Conquering the hated foe in 9 years would be cool if it was somewhat difficult.  But I wasn't even really trying very hard.  I played out a the battles at the start, but mostly simulated the rest.  I wasn't even launching a coordinated offensive most of the time, but hey, if the AI isn't bothering to defend a territory, you are supposed to take it in my book.  Once you get some momentum going in total war games, it's pretty easy.  Defense on the other hand is difficult, tedious and even costlier then before thanks to the new forms of looting.  There is no strategic dept, attack, attack, attack.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Agdune

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2009, 08:19:58 am »

I dunno what all the whining's about, I feel the campaign sections are a collossal step up from previous titles. Battles, while having a hefty number of issues, are still about even, pros and cons wise. In any event, Vanilla TW games tend to be poor. Wait for the full sized mods (Not just 'LOL I MADE PEASANTS HAVE NUKES AND VOMIT GOLD' ones, ones like lands to conquer and such.)
I'm Mr. Cellophane

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2009, 10:32:27 am »

I don't know how to deploy cover.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2009, 02:17:08 pm »

Hrm, I've encounted a CTD which refuses to let me progress through the game. I'm stuck in year 1728 since if I try to progress a turn, it just crashes-to-desktop.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2009, 02:30:59 pm »

Hrm, I've encounted a CTD which refuses to let me progress through the game. I'm stuck in year 1728 since if I try to progress a turn, it just crashes-to-desktop.

You should have used my method... Waiting until the game is patched properly before buying the game in the first place.

I don't want another Evil Genius. (Curses... if that game didn't have soo many glitches it would actually be pretty good)

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2009, 03:36:31 pm »

This is a crazy theory, but check your ships for any "agents".

I recently had a similar problem and it turned out there was a ship with a normal unit classified as an agent aboard. Having it disembark on land (and thus disappear) helped. :S

If it's not ships, then check the cities and disband it if it's there.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2009, 07:09:10 pm »

I recently had a similar problem and it turned out there was a ship with a normal unit classified as an agent aboard. Having it disembark on land (and thus disappear) helped. :S

Nope, no agents in any stack of any kind. I tried moving everything out of it's place and it still crashes. I'm assuming something is supposed to happen in 1728 but the game doesn't have the files or something. I already tried reinstalling and it still doesn't work.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2009, 06:23:55 am »

Nope, no agents in any stack of any kind. I tried moving everything out of it's place and it still crashes. I'm assuming something is supposed to happen in 1728 but the game doesn't have the files or something. I already tried reinstalling and it still doesn't work.
Well, only other thing I can suggest is going back to an earlier (auto)save and trying to quickly progress (auto-battles, no movement, etc.) beyond 1728 without doing anything and see if it works then. Might also be an error in one of the AI armies.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I just bought the game the other day and I'm having a lot of fun with it. I just wish I was in a position to get involved in more sea battles, but my infantry are costing me enough as it is.

I have a question - what does it mean when a ship on the campaign map is flashing the pirate flag? Is it them who are blocking my trade routes, or is a blocked trade route from a blocked port?
Pages: 1 [2] 3