Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crazy dwarves should be strange mood candidates.  (Read 1127 times)

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Crazy dwarves should be strange mood candidates.
« on: March 07, 2009, 04:01:01 am »

I noticed this in another thread, but thought it deserved its own post.

I think crazy dwarves should be candidates for strange moods (even if they went crazy from failing one before, as an exception to the only-one-mood-ever rule.)  Furthermore, they should be more likely to get a mood, and a mood should be more likely to strike one period.  When it does, it recovers their sanity if they can complete it successfully.

Note that with the low number of crazy dwarves in a typical fort, the chance of it happening would still be low overall -- many fortresses could go without ever seeing it.

This serves several purposes, though.  First, it's thematic -- the mad artist and so on.  Second, it provides a reason to not just execute crazy dwarves as soon as they go crazy.

Note that making them candidates for strange moods, but not having it restore their sanity would be a bad idea -- that would encourage players to execute them, since a strange mood that gives legendary skill to someone who remains too insane to take advantage of it is something to be avoided (and since, remember, your total number of strange moods is throttled, so that's a mood that could have gone to someone more useful.)
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
Re: Crazy dwarves should be strange mood candidates.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 12:28:40 pm »

Places that go into absolute insanity freefall (see Halltraded when I was in charge.) would have loads and loads of moods.
Funnily enough it was a failed mood that did it.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 01:06:06 pm »

Wouldn't that mean we would be more likely to have the Negative Moods? Thus making our Fort even more unhappy?

Or are you suggesting specific kinds of special moods based off the type of insanity and the way in which they became insane?

Though mind you... these arn't so much Crazy Dwarves as ones who have suffered pernament mental breakdown. (as in... We don't haev any mild crazy dwarves)

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 02:42:09 pm »

Really insane dwarves might try and make artifact buildings.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 02:43:13 pm »

Really insane dwarves might try and make artifact buildings.

No, splitting what is and isn't allowed to be made (object wise) by special moods is always a bad idea.

Artifact effects is a different story though.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 03:48:14 pm »

Places that go into absolute insanity freefall (see Halltraded when I was in charge.) would have loads and loads of moods.
Funnily enough it was a failed mood that did it.
I don't think it should increase the chance that much, and it probably shouldn't break the artifact limit (or maybe just not by much -- maybe there could be one extra 'insane artifact' above the limit you can have.)  That'd leave enough to encourage players to not execute insane dwarves, and enough to add a bit of flavor, but it would be rare enough and not a big enough deal to benefit a fortress from having huge numbers of insane dwarves everywhere.

(Although that would be an interesting idea -- build a fortress deliberately designed to drive dwarves mad, so they can construct equally insane non-euclidian artifacts...)

When actual powers for artifacts are in, it might be interesting to have certain artifacts based on the mental state of the dwarf that makes them, so an insane dwarf might make an artifact that carries some of his insanity (and maybe drives others insane if they look at it too hard, use its powers too much, or whatever -- like something from H. P. Lovecraft.  Like the tome written by the Mad Arab whatever his name was.)

Of course, in that case the dwarf would probably not regain their sanity...
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 05:41:48 pm »

I'm all for insane dorfs having strange moods. I do think that they would be be as likely to have morbid or fell moods as fey moods though. Also, I would like if their moods resulted in really freakish artefacts.
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 05:45:40 pm »

That'd leave enough to encourage players to not execute insane dwarves

Player's don't execute Insane dwarves as it is. For the most part Insane dwarves won't eat or drink. So they die on their own no matter what you do.

So unless Toady adds Force Feeding or something. (or adds other kinds of insanity... CURSES I really should finish my insanity suggestion)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 05:47:43 pm by Neonivek »

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2009, 07:37:31 pm »

Insane Dwarves = Insane items. Like platnium rope or a wooden furnace, stuff you cant usually make.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 12:44:13 am »

Insane Dwarves = Insane items. Like platnium rope or a wooden furnace, stuff you cant usually make.

Uhhh... While I am sure Platnium rope is possible to make yet too expencive to think about.

I am fairly certain that Wooden Furnaces exist.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 10:45:01 am »

Insane dwarves are incapable of wearing pants, let alone crafting something

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 01:22:10 pm »

and so it is written, and so it shall be.

seriously though, you don't consider moods to be crazy in the first place?

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2009, 01:31:38 pm »

You don't have to wear pants to craft a world-shattering artifact.  Just ask the Dungeon Master.

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2009, 03:23:30 pm »

I think it's neat! I really like the idea of someone building a fortress specifically to drive dwarves insane to increase the chance of building artifacts. That sounds like just the sort of sick twisted creative, inventive idea that dwarves are known for! Anything for the greater good, right?
Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach