Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: L4D - I'm looking for some experts  (Read 1946 times)

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
L4D - I'm looking for some experts
« on: March 06, 2009, 10:27:33 pm »

I finally got L4D, and I'm torn between "YAY that's fun" and "omg I'm an idiot because I forked out more than 10 bucks". But since I forked out, I try to enjoy it.

Anyway, it would be nice if I could get a somewhat decent group together to tackle the expert difficulty. And - if possible - without excessive closet camping. Yes, I know, abuse of natural bottlenecks, and therefor closet camping is the way to go, but most of the time it takes away the fun of a good fight, but I go astray. Such technicalities can be discussed whenever.

Now, I don't really know how to set up such a group of people. Do you just add people to your "friends" list or do you actually create "groups"?

And something else that pisses me off with steam is the "username" part. Whenever strangers want to add me, I have to give them my account name? I mean, that cant be right, can it? That goes against everything I have learned when it comes to protect login data  ;D Can I work around my paranoid ticks somehow? Numerical Steam ID maybe?

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
Re: L4D - I'm looking for some experts
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 11:03:43 pm »

To bad you got the Computer version. I'm about to get Live, and am ready and willing to pop in my copy of L4D and killing some zombies once I get it. But this time, with, you know, people, and not dumb ass A.I.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 11:09:56 pm »

I like how you dont acknowledge the xbox as a computer  ;D

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 11:15:11 pm »

Unfourtunatly, that is one of the many flaws in Steam's licencing system.

I was of my account for ONE WEEK, having the previous month deleted hordes of e-mail relating to 'Username and password change verification' when I had not requested it (Danm 13-year olds...) and I come back to see my account name and password changed. Even getting it back was a hassle.

Did you know they actually ask for a home-made picture of your game's magnetic strip? That's ridiculous.

[/poorly written rant]

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 12:13:13 am »

Really now? Interesting.

Perhaps this is why I hate Steam.

Also Puck...*Shakes fist* One of these days.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 02:53:04 am »

Another Xbro here, halfway through the Achievement for doing all 4 'movies' on Expert (those done being No Mercy and Dead Air. Blood Harvest and Death Toll are... gah.) Expert is a different game to playing on any other difficulty, that's for sure. Stages 1 - 3 are easy (record for clearing those are in the region of 20 minutes) but it's always the crescendo event in stage 4 and the Finale that will make or break your team. All I can really say is persist, communicate, and don't kill the AIs. Why idiots insist on murdering them every chance they get is beyond me. They've got better eyes than you and they're an extra pair of hands to help you out when you need it. Take it slow, but don't dwaddle, either. Stick together and understand that the team making it to the next Safety Room is more important than your individual glory and survival.

Gamertag is Aaronicon for anyone who wants to play.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Sir_Geo

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 03:26:22 am »

Hey, I'm fairly competent at blowing up infected's heads  :D
I've been looking for some people who at least aren't griefers to play on expert, lately thatss the only difficulty I've been playing on and I've had more than a my share of griefers just randomly joining and killing everyone then leaving and it is getting on my nerves. /rant
but yeah, steam ID is incendiary device or sir_geo (not sure exactly which one it is) look me up for some expert runs if you like.
The logistical problems dealing with a private space colony are at least as bad as dealing with the zombies.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-5403-fortressdipped
Fortressdipped, my ice castle.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 03:53:01 am »

Gamertag is Aaronicon for anyone who wants to play.

I'll keep that in mind. You beat Expert? I did beat everything on normal...

Eh. To tell you the truth, beating things on the hardest level is all a matter of lazyness for me.

Now if I had people to play with, I'd be more then willing to play on Expert.

Now to finish H3 on Legendary, CoD4 on Veteran.

Erm...this might take a little while.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2009, 05:16:07 am »

To be honest I kind of despise playing l4d on anything lower than expert; you can just wade through hordes of zombies kneedeep, without much hassle. On expert, you get punched in the gonads 10 times and you're down, just like it should be  ;D Feels more like a zombie movie to me  ;)

But, and that's MUCH more important to me: iirc on the lower settings you can shoot people that are incapped and they wont take damage, hence getting hunters and smokers of them is much easier. On expert you just have to aim right if you want to help them, and boy you NEED to help them quickly.

I think teamwork>all is a given, no questions asked. I kind of like that, because I once read that zombie stories usually play out that way: greed/egoism gets the better of the protagonists, and that's why they'll inevitably will fail/turn into zombies themselves.

That's a beautiful metaphor for all kinds of things that make us human.

edit: and it's always fun when you get people to scream "LEAVE ME BEHIND I WOnT MAKE IT!" on voice  ;D

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2009, 09:58:27 am »

I like playing on expert better... But it's hard to find people to play with on that difficulty.

Add me to your friend list if you want. [DFC]Soulwynd ... easy to find.

Oh, and you can use something other than your username as your steam name. It wont hide your id tho.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2009, 10:40:18 am »

Oh, and you can use something other than your username as your steam name. It wont hide your id tho.
yeah, but not when it comes to adding people, it seems. you can use an email adress instead of the account name, tho, so I set up a throwaway account for that.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2009, 11:55:07 am »

Puck, im sure everyone in the [DFC] will be able to help you in your quest for zombie genocide. Expert is great fun, so long as you have 4 people playing it. One AI and its all OVER. Seriously, they suck at expert. My names [DFC]Nilocy on steam.

(or just find me with Nilocy)

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2009, 02:14:19 pm »

Shameless advertising.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/Clockworks

Please Nilocy. Stop mooching over my territory. Teamplay is Clockworks. DFC is for people from this forum. That's pretty restrictive of the player pool. Not to mention your group has 0 standards for acceptance. Not to sound elitist, but my group requires one to prove oneself. A test many gladly partake. (Given, the test is simply having a mic and using it.)

Sorry if that sounded rude. I just can't find a way to phrase it better. No insult intended.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 02:20:07 pm by Yanlin »
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2009, 02:27:56 pm »

I don't have steam, but I have an idea for a self impossed challenge, inspired by my friends.

One thing my friends like to do is run through the level, finger on the W from beginning to end, with breathers at the parts where you hold your position. Backtracking is not allowed, no matter how sever it may be. Makes any game a challenge, or it would if I could convince them to.

On the AI: he can be smart, but there are those times when you are carring a propane tank, and he shoots it, causing damage galore.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2009, 05:24:16 pm »

Oh god the A.I.

The Gernades. They only laugh at you.

The Witches. They only stand around and piss her the frack off(Which usually, SOMEHOW results in ME going down, and not one of the A.Is!).

The 'friendly fire'. They only get in your way when your trying to shoot at something.

A.I! A.I! A.I! A.I! A.I! A.I!

ARRRRRGLLLBLPEEFLGLLOOO!
Pages: [1] 2