Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Legends : Designate Event  (Read 708 times)

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Legends : Designate Event
« on: March 06, 2009, 04:05:13 pm »

So battles happen, children are born, and artifacts are stolen by goblins.  These things make it into the legends all by their lonesome, as it should be, because the program knows what they are.

That doesn't quite gel when you see an engraving of the fifteenth masterwork bed on the wall, but nary a reference to your fifteen story tower.

Suggestion:  Allow players to designate an event in their fortress for the legends.  It should be of the form ("In XXX SpinyCheese the Toodles of Bacon YYY" where XXX is the year, SpinyCheese is the fort, and YYY is freeform text, possibly with associated dwarven poses.  (By default, it could be a dwarf working, or a picture of a 'noun' madlib style.)

This would allow players to document the completion of major fort events (megaconstructions mostly) and see them entered into the anals of dwarven history, to be engraved on fortress walls from now until eternity (or the next release, whichever comes first, and by no means an easy question)

**NOTE** I am NOT suggesting a game recognized achievements system, or any way to powergame.  Just a way to enter in a note into the histories that will be associated with the fort and used in engravings just like any other.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Re: Legends : Designate Event
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 04:44:01 pm »

It's "annals" of history.

And I could see this working, so long as it's not 100% freeform; a submenu with "the completion of a daring project in", "the cataclysmic explosion of", "the flooding of", etc... stuff the game can't be trusted to recognize on its own.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 05:24:32 pm »

And I could see this working, so long as it's not 100% freeform; a submenu with "the completion of a daring project in", "the cataclysmic explosion of", "the flooding of", etc... stuff the game can't be trusted to recognize on its own.

Why couldn't it be freeform? Why would anyone else care if I felt like recording minutia ("The torturing of elves in..."). At the very least, put the list into the raws in a way that would let people add to them.

I could even see it as a fill-in-the-blanks style thing:

This is a {quality} image of a ______ (and (a) ______). ((The) _______ is _______. (The) _____ is/are _____). This image relates to the _______ of _______ by ________ in {Year}
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 06:19:54 pm »

I fully support this idea.  I have thirty engravings of a masterpiece orthoclase idol my craftsdwarf made in the second year of my fort, and none of my ten-story towers or my goblin pinball machine.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 03:11:03 pm »

this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 03:18:39 pm »

Why couldn't it be freeform? Why would anyone else care if I felt like recording minutia ("The torturing of elves in..."). At the very least, put the list into the raws in a way that would let people add to them.

I could even see it as a fill-in-the-blanks style thing:

This is a {quality} image of a ______ (and (a) ______). ((The) _______ is _______. (The) _____ is/are _____). This image relates to the _______ of _______ by ________ in {Year}

This is a {quality} image of a [SUBJECT1:DWARF] (and (a) [SUBJECT2:ELF]. ((The) [SUBJECT1] is [POSE:LAUGH]. (The) [SUBJECT2] is/are [POSE:PAIN]). This image relates to the [EVENT:COMPLETION] of [CONSTRUCTION:DEATHTRAP] by [FORT_GROUP] in {Year}
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 03:20:15 pm »

That's the rub though... You don't want to create an engraving, you want to create a legends event (that'll stay in the legends).  The engraving bit is just gravy.

(You'd also get people telling your adventurers about it and stuff)

Maybe broad categories?  Constructions come to mind, not sure what else (wars, battlese, etc already covered.  Constructions could have a default 'dwarves are building' engraving

corvvs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 03:59:41 am »

Legends mode already understands construction as being significant events -- look at the record for a human city and you'll see "The Tower of Blah was completed in the year 209" or "The Mead Hall was built in 486" (or something like that - working from memory here).  All it needs is for the game to recognize player-designated buildings as well.

"A royal bedroom was given to erith Longshanks, Dungeon Master in the year 702 in Spinesnapped."
"A 15 story tower was completed in Bankdeposited in the year 1521"