Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: Guinness lists top 50 games of all time  (Read 8253 times)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: Guinness lists top 50 games of all time
« Reply #105 on: March 12, 2009, 01:57:36 pm »

SimCity was fun as a console game, and it even had interesting improvements over the PC version that ended up carrying over into SC2k and beyond (reward buildings, and the highest density structures spanning multiple blocks).  But SimCity for the SNES didn't sell many copies and it certainly didn't change the console gaming scene.  If anything it proved that those games were more suited for computer (even if the music was very very good...)  And weren't the Civ games on the PSX panned really, REALLY hard?  I heard they ripped out like 2/3 of the tech tree.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 12, 2009, 02:03:14 pm »

BTW, a bit off topic, I just bought "Skate" (part one) for the wii, because my trusted videogame pusher had it for cheapz.

Skate is one of those "quick and dirty" games I kind of like because I always wanted a skate game that feels a bit more like a simulation than dragonballs on skateboards (minus the powering up). I'm so looking forward to the weird controls, I bet it's fun to try to steer around by tilting the wii mote.

brb with a fresh load of dissapointment in a moment  ;D

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 12, 2009, 02:19:10 pm »

I dl'd the demo of 2 for 360, and will probably pick it up for 20-30... (whenever it gets that cheap)

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 12, 2009, 02:35:54 pm »

Alright, after loading it up, it seems its called "Skate It". Wow. They hid the "it" part real good on the cover of the game. It's scribbled onto two skateboards there. I bet it's the code for "less content" or "more shitty graphics".

But what the hell, so far I'm having a ton of fun  ;D The first tune it played was "Low Rider" by War. So I guess I must have entered my real birthday when I got the Wii, and the game is making use of that, maybe  ;D Anyway, most skate games only have a certain type of punk music that's not really my kind of bag, but here I already found a few songs I like...

And now I'm playing the tutorial, just cruising around... see an obstacle and think to myself "HAH i can ollie over that." Next thing I know, I supposedly made it into the "Hall of Meat" of some ultrahip skateboarding magazine, with 3 bruises, 2 sprained joints and 2 broken bones. From one friggin picnic table  ;D Seems I'm having fun.

But the only thing that's grinding so far is the disc-drive of the wii...

Clever use of skate pun in the end, dont ya think im cool ? - That's something that's pissing me off btw... that game is trying really hard to toss around cool slang language. Well. maybe thats how kids are talking somewhere on that planet, which is a pretty scary thought.

And why am I telling you all this? I don't know.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 12, 2009, 02:47:22 pm »

Yeah, at least it's truth in advertising.  The Wii is less capable and more family friendly than the other systems.  It's also usually more fun

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 12, 2009, 03:03:09 pm »

But the controllers of The Revolution game system is very hard for me to get used to.  :'( I wished they switched back to the Gamecube controllers.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 12, 2009, 03:19:02 pm »

Yeah, at least it's truth in advertising.
I'd agree if they hadnt hid the "it" part on the game box so ... skillful...

but at times the controls really flow... other times it zigs when i want to zag and the other way round, but when the guy is doing what i want him to, its really really cool.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 12, 2009, 03:20:30 pm »

you can use the gamecube controllers for most games, can't you?

Anyway, I do agree that there's a lot of places where they went overboard with 'waving the controller is a button press'.  (zelda, I'm looking at you)

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 12, 2009, 03:39:25 pm »

Zelda was really bad in that regard. Mostly because it felt so pointless and totally not immersive. For instance they could have made the bow so much cooler if you actually had to make some motion with the wiimote that resembles pulling the string... even with the rudimentary and limited abilities the wiimote has it should work well enough to get something out of it. To give the player the option to do his shots better or worse than just the standard shot with the same power all the time.

I remember an early video presentation where the guy that was playing zelda in front of an audience while another guy was talking about the game and the technology. Whenever the playing guy used the bow he mimicked the movement with nunchuk and wiimote. and he had a weird look to his face while doing so.

Now I know why, he KNEW he was lying to us. And not only to us, no to the CHILD IN US! BASTARDS! I bet they forced him to do that!

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 12, 2009, 04:22:48 pm »

Where can you plug the gamecube controller in?

And if it is wireless, it's even worse. I hate wireless controllers. Wired controllers is where it's at.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 12, 2009, 04:51:05 pm »

I like how people remember the good games and not the vast piles of shovelware from the early 90s and late 80s.  It was just as bad back then.  And of course there's the question, why aren't there more groundbreaking games like Myst these days, or any new Goldeneye games?  Well because the ground has already been broken of course, and there's tons of them and a lot of them are very good, but the novelty has worn off so most people don't care!  Besides, when Goldeneye was new, the "console FPS" genre was not very differentiated.  It was THE choice, and anyone who liked that kind of game flocked to it--the fact that it was well made helped too, of course.  But these days there's so many different good console FPSes that nobody agrees on any of them being the best one out there...

http://www.cinemassacre.com/new/?page_id=8
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 12, 2009, 05:34:43 pm »

Where can you plug the gamecube controller in?

And if it is wireless, it's even worse. I hate wireless controllers. Wired controllers is where it's at.
WaaaaBAM!!!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]