Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: Guinness lists top 50 games of all time  (Read 8269 times)

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
Re: Guinness lists top 50 games of all time
« Reply #90 on: March 12, 2009, 08:20:10 am »

I bet the first tetris was written on some university "super"computer (what would count as a supercomputer back then  :P) and if I recall correctly it was then ported to arcade machines long before it hit home systems.

Technically, every console game is a port, since you make games on computers.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 12, 2009, 10:21:49 am »

Goldeneye was a very good game and great in multiplayer and it was first by a long shot, but it just didn't have the same kind of mass-market popularity.
It was very well received and every gamer worth his salt KNEW it AND loved it, and only a handful completed it on the hardest level, btw  ;D

Anyway, it had easily a more noticeable impact on the gaming world.

Halo is a bit like Fable 2 if you allow me to quote peter molyneux : " It's a game for people who aren't gamers. "

Yeah, right. Halo dragged all the dirt from the street in, and now we're getting drowned in stupid games that play like shit but look hella awesome.

So much for making games accesible, that's something they could have skipped, in my book.

Jesus.  Elitist, much?
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #92 on: March 12, 2009, 10:40:27 am »

1. Super Mario Kart
2. Tetris
3. Grand Theft Auto
4. Super Mario World

TOTALLY AGREE!!!

13. Metal Gear Solid

Impressive game

21. Pro Evolution Soccer 4

THe one I liked best

32. Chrono Trigger

Dude... What a classic

50. Outrun 2

lol.  Great one.

-----------

No Civilization? NO Sim City? NO Sims? No Sonic? No Half Life?

WEIRD...

Wii sports is here?  Byased...
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 12, 2009, 10:55:53 am »

lol people who don't bother to read the thread :P

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 12, 2009, 11:22:12 am »

Jesus.  Elitist, much?
all day long, I barely have time for anything else, but still, I'm right, and you know it  ;)

Pretty much since Xbox... gaming is going down the drain. And it never was a thing with THAT much brains behind it anyways, so there is not much room to maneuver...

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 12, 2009, 12:16:41 pm »

I like how people remember the good games and not the vast piles of shovelware from the early 90s and late 80s.  It was just as bad back then.  And of course there's the question, why aren't there more groundbreaking games like Myst these days, or any new Goldeneye games?  Well because the ground has already been broken of course, and there's tons of them and a lot of them are very good, but the novelty has worn off so most people don't care!  Besides, when Goldeneye was new, the "console FPS" genre was not very differentiated.  It was THE choice, and anyone who liked that kind of game flocked to it--the fact that it was well made helped too, of course.  But these days there's so many different good console FPSes that nobody agrees on any of them being the best one out there...

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 12, 2009, 12:41:03 pm »

I remember the "shovelware" (but I didnt know that loveable term for it) but the devs back then didnt try to sell it to us as the next "big thing" with the same kind of effort and hype as they try it now. People KNEW it was shovelware and consumed (and dismissed it) as such. They didnt praise it like the idiots today do it with every mediocre game. If I remember correctly, the magazines also had the balls to call mediocre games mediocre. Today you get one guy that does that, yahtzee, and he does it a humorous and cynical way, so nobody takes him really serious, which is a shame.

Oh, and regarding goldeneye: there WAS choice when it came to console FPS. But yes, it was THE choice, because it was made with love for detail. It just was a good game. You know, sometimes a game is good, and you cannot put the finger on. It just has a certain something, I think that comes from the devs loving what they do. Goldeneye was one of the games. Also the level design! it felt like the locations in the movie (which was the last great bond, btw, which also has somehting to do with it, I guess)

But yes, "the ground has been broken so many times", it's really hard to bring us something new. But it's ALWAYS hard to provide TRUE creativity, and still, people manage to pull it off. Remember "Black and White 1" ?

You had to think of populous, you navigated like in photoshop, and you had a giant tamagotchi dicking around your map. But it was innovative.

It's still doable, and the next time it'll happen, it'll blow our minds. Too bad they passed up that chance with spore.

edit: and something else about the "shovelware" (boy i love that word, its great)...
I think that is exactly my gripe. Halo is one of the games that should fall under that category. Same with ... for instance... Need for Speed (every part that came after 3) or Burnout series. I call em "quick and dirty games". A game you can pop in for a quick 5 minutes because you dont have the patience to wait for soemthing. Like your teawater boiling. Or the missus picking a pair of shoes before you leave. You want to play something fast, something colourful, something completely meaningless.

those games are great for that. but I HATE giving those games more than a honorary notice or whatever the correct english term is. its like sex with a complete stranger who only looks good after 3 beers. it was fun while it lasted, but better not talk about it or even worse, marry her.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 12:51:59 pm by Puck »

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #97 on: March 12, 2009, 12:46:13 pm »

You mean the console thing... I believe Sim city, Sims and Civilization were implemented in Playstation.
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 12, 2009, 12:55:20 pm »

You mean the console thing... I believe Sim city, Sims and Civilization were implemented in Playstation.

Really? Whoa....I thought that only KOEI is releasing strategy games for the Playstation.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 12, 2009, 12:56:18 pm »

sim city was also available on the SNES, I think I mentioned that on page 2 or summat.

I bet the first tetris was written on some university "super"computer (what would count as a supercomputer back then  :P) and if I recall correctly it was then ported to arcade machines long before it hit home systems.

Technically, every console game is a port, since you make games on computers.
Technically, yeah, ok. But I'm talking about the platforms things are designed FOR...and Alexey Pazhitnov (or whatever his name is) planned to play this game on whatever platform he designed it on. IIRC he didnt really think about consoles or arcade machines, but home/personal computers.
TBH i cant even remember in which language it was written...
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 01:03:58 pm by Puck »

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 12, 2009, 01:15:35 pm »

I've always hear shovelware refered to as originating from the old ET game (that got 'shoveled' into the landfill.  It's certainly a lot older of a word than the WII

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 12, 2009, 01:24:58 pm »

Oh, I thought that word meant ... games that are produced by people that program like other people operate shovels... ummm, wait.. wrong words... you know, programmers that just work like the chaingang. Just work, no love. Also, shoveled out of the factory en masse, shoveled back onto the junkyard at the same rate.

I mean, the term sounds kind of self explanatory.

But now that you mention it, I think I heard that ET game story somewhere. But where you got that wii part from just now, I dont know.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 12, 2009, 01:26:57 pm »

I always thought Shovelware refered to old Steam Engines and how you shovel a big bunch of coal into the fire.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 12, 2009, 01:36:18 pm »

Either way, it's a nice word, and all the definitions are close enough to each other

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 12, 2009, 01:52:38 pm »

[edit] Nintendo capitalizes on casual gaming
Meanwhile, Nintendo took cues from PC gaming and their own success with the Nintendo DS, and crafted games that capitalized on the intuitive nature of motion control. Emphasis on gameplay turned comparatively simple games into unlikely runaway hits, including the bundled game, Wii Sports, and Wii Fit. As the Wii sales spiked, many publishers were caught unprepared and responded by assembling hastily-created titles to fill the void, leading one gaming web site to coin the term shovelware to describe the burst of stopgap casual games produced by established developers and new start-ups alike. Although some hardcore games continued to be produced by Nintendo, many of their classic franchises were reworked into "bridge games", meant to provide new gamers crossover experiences from casual gaming to deeper experiences, including their flagship Wii title, Super Mario Galaxy, which in spite of its standard-resolution graphics dominated critics' "best-of" lists for 2007. Many others, however, strongly criticized Nintendo for its apparent spurning of its core gamer base in favor of a demographic many warned would be fickle and difficult to keep engaged.
Link

Thought I'd seen it on this topic, but it was here, while doing research...
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8