Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Guinness lists top 50 games of all time  (Read 8301 times)

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
Re: Guinness lists top 50 games of all time
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2009, 09:16:51 pm »

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2009, 09:38:08 pm »

Even if it's just console games, that list is rather crappy.

So to no surprise, the guiness people proved they are experts when it comes to shove the maximum number of people into small spaces or in determining how much food of questionable nutritious value one can eat before they have to throw up vividly, but when it comes to videogames, they seem to hover around the level of knowledge my grandmother does.

Too much new stuff on there, too little old school stuff that really made a difference in the evolution of games.

And when you want to talk "influental" you should look at arcade rather than consoles anyway, I mean, that's what got the whole thing big in the first place...

See, I managed to complain without even mentioning one title  ;)

edit:
alright, now i have to mention one or two titles  ;D
I mean, what's with that "console" thing anyway? Mentioning the Orange Box....
First of all, Orange Box is great. Secondly, it's not one game but three, and those shouldnt count as one. Furthermore, the orange box is full of nifty things, but it's hardly that important or influental. Most of the content is NOT innovative (apart from one or two ideas in portal) and therefor didnt influence anything. You can argue the box itself has been influenced by every fps that came out before, but that's actually not even what i want to get into.

It'S the console part, I'd like to point out. Are they seriously trying to tell me, they call the orange box "a" console game, completely ignoring the fact it's just a port? I mean, I dont even know that, but since its on that list I have to assume there's an xbox port for it. xbox lol btw.

But if we're playing dirty and in fact ARE countings games that have been ported, I seriously have to ask:
Where is Wing Commander? Where is Sim City (that friggin game pretty much influenced EVERY build-stuff-game ever after in various mechanics)? Where is Lemmings? You could play them ALL on the SNES.

Seriously, how old are the people that wrote that article? Twelve?

Or what'S with the games in their umpteenth part? Why is castlevania something more important than the first part of the series? (I still have the original cartridge, same as metal gear  ;D) That just doesnt make any sense.

How about next time they just make a list ala most sold copies, they couldnt go wrong there  ::)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 09:55:41 pm by Puck »

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2009, 09:53:20 pm »

It's not a remake. A remake has to be the exact same game with just a couple of new features.

This game has indestructible fences and a more fleshed out storyline. Both of those things mean that it cannot be a remake. It's a brand new game.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2009, 09:56:40 pm »

Youre talking about xcom i assume, not my incoherent ramblings, right?

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2009, 10:01:52 pm »

\\
Where is Wing Commander?

YES. SOMEONE ELSE STILL REMEMBERS WING COMMANDER!

You get stuck with the SNES version for a while too? That one kinda sucked, given Grathas looked just like those useless ones but green.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2009, 10:02:41 pm »

Youre talking about xcom i assume, not my incoherent ramblings, right?

I dunno, I enjoy my rants with indestructible fences and a good storyline.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2009, 10:12:40 pm »

YES. SOMEONE ELSE STILL REMEMBERS WING COMMANDER![/b][/i]

You get stuck with the SNES version for a while too? That one kinda sucked, given Grathas looked just like those useless ones but green.
I wouldnt call it "got stuck". Back then I really really enjoyed it, I didnt have that much trouble to get into the game, and I didnt have any options to play "better" stuff. A short while later a friend of mine got "Privateer" and a decent PC. Needless to say, I spent almost all my free time there  ;D

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2009, 10:17:36 pm »

It's not a remake. A remake has to be the exact same game with just a couple of new features.

This game has indestructible fences and a more fleshed out storyline. Both of those things mean that it cannot be a remake. It's a brand new game.

I assume you're talking about UFO Alien Invasion... in which case UFO Alien Invasion is an exact copy of X-Com with a couple of new features, and the removal of some.  It fits your definition of a remake perfectly, though really I guess it's more accurate to call it a rip off, or spiritual successor if you prefer.  It doesn't really matter.  I'm not even sure why the heck you're talking about it at all as it seems to be off topic.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 10:21:12 pm by Ioric Kittencuddler »
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2009, 10:21:52 pm »

I was talking about it because I stated that I played that UFO game, and, er, I didn't like it. I was stating it to counter those who were screaming about why it wasn't on the list of videogames (and PC games aren't exactly videogames, but meh).

That's it. Then the argument began over if the UFO game was free and if it was a remake. It is surely not a remake. It wasn't even made by the original designers. How could you call it a remake? But meh.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2009, 10:28:11 pm »

BTW, there was a decent XCOM/UFO (actually the same thing, ey) port on the playstation 1 iirc.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2009, 11:26:13 pm »

BTW, there was a decent XCOM/UFO (actually the same thing, ey) port on the playstation 1 iirc.

Actually it was probably the best official version of the game (Almost bug free!). It had cool music too.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2009, 04:09:07 am »

Actually it was probably the best official version of the game (Almost bug free!). It had cool music too.

Yes, the music of the pc version was a bit odd, especially during the missions with the constant DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN playing.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

FoboslC

« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2009, 05:24:51 am »

Super Mario Kart?
WHAT THE FUCK!?
THEY SAY SUPER MARIO KART IS MOST IMPORTANT AND INFLUENTAL GAME?!
Doh.
Really.
What.
The.
Fuck.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2009, 10:02:25 am »

Hm, it's funny. CoD 4. is on the list, but Doom or Duke Nukem 3D is not. What the hell?! This list is FUBAR...seriously.  ::)

CoD 4 was an X-Box game and didn't lose much in the translation.

Doom on the other hand was vaguely on the SNES and lost a ton in the translation.

Duke Nukem 3d WAS NOT A CONSOLE GAME EVER.

CONSOLE.

GAME.

LIST.

Ah shit....I've missed that part completely....*shrugs*. I don't even care about this list anymore....console games... ;D

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2009, 10:42:47 am »

Hm, it's funny. CoD 4. is on the list, but Doom or Duke Nukem 3D is not. What the hell?! This list is FUBAR...seriously.  ::)

CoD 4 was an X-Box game and didn't lose much in the translation.

Doom on the other hand was vaguely on the SNES and lost a ton in the translation.

Duke Nukem 3d WAS NOT A CONSOLE GAME EVER.

CONSOLE.

GAME.

LIST.
Doom had console ports up the ass.

Duke Nukem 3D also had a PS1 game, an N64 altered version and TPS spin-offs on the N64 and PS1 (influence++).
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8