Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Guinness lists top 50 games of all time  (Read 8300 times)

¿

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Guinness lists top 50 games of all time
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2009, 12:33:19 pm »

What the? Starcraft isn't one of the most important or influential games of all time? Nor C&C?
EDIT:
No World of Warcraft?

XCOM should be on there... but it wasn't influential. Same with FreeSpace 2.

Final Fantasy XII
Chrono Trigger
Really they should just list FF7. Chrono Trigger only recently has gotten recognition being ported to DS. Although Chrono Trigger > All of FF#.

smeej

• Bay Watcher
  • The last thing you remember...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2009, 12:37:43 pm »

What? Chrono Trigger has long been an appreciated game.
IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2009, 12:45:30 pm »

Yeah that's a really weird list... I mean it might always be subjective (although you can at least define consistent, if subjective, criteria according to which you try to rank objectively), but that's a little bit too arbitrary, no? Especially for PC games (not that there are many on the list anyway)...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2009, 12:56:59 pm »

Yeah it is kinda obvious that the list didn't attempt to be objective all that much and that honest to goodness research wasn't one of their goals.

I am not going to nit-pick on some of their placements but some games missing from that list is kinda surprising. I can think of a few that in terms of "Influence" have changed the way companies fill out their teams.

Some of the games on the list... were... good... but really didn't change anything.

Some games that were HORRIBLE but were by FAR influencial arn't on there... I can think of a few that caused gaming crashes.

Final Fantasy 7 alone I agree... It was the game that truely brought the JRPGs into the forefront of the Western Casual Market.

Final Fantasy 12!?! did that game do anything? It wasn't even all that good or influencial. It was ultimately a forgetable game that didn't change the genre. Though I am not well versed in it.

WiiSports? I am sorry, but I attribute that game's influence to the Wii rather then the game itself. Though it is far from the worst thing on the list.

Whoa... I thought I said I wouldn't Nitpick... Must stop

Honestly... Guinness (which I am assuming refers to the book... though at this rate I think it refers to the beer) if you want to do a list like this you should do actual honest to goodness research.

It sounds like you just spoke to 50 people and asked them what games they like... then made a list off of that. I mean they did get a few that were dead on but overall poor job.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 01:02:01 pm by Neonivek »

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2009, 01:23:41 pm »

Final Fantasy 7 alone I agree... It was the game that truely brought the JRPGs into the forefront of the Western Casual Market.

It alos raised the bar for games, made us graphic whores, gave us one of the best soundtracks to any game, put a corporation as a bad guy and raised Playstaion sales.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2009, 01:29:58 pm »

I think that summary article should have said that, in the book, it is very clearly meant to be
CONSOLE GAMES ONLY.

I don't know why I ever even WENT to the comments section when this got posted on Slashdot, but the comments were about 20% whining about a specific game being on the list or its placement (valid), 70% complaining about their favorite computer game not being on the list, and 10% saying "You idiots, it's only console games".

That said, it's a /terrible/ list for the non-X-Com-or-Civ-lacking reasons stated above.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2009, 01:48:37 pm »

fair enough on the console... it's still sorely lacking in atari games

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2009, 01:59:50 pm »

HOLY SHIT I JUST MADE A 50 GAME LONG LIST AND I LOST IT TO THE 'Enter' COMMAND AHAHHHAHHHHHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHHGH RAEG!

You should learn the noble ways of Ctrl+Z.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2009, 02:01:23 pm »

HOLY SHIT I JUST MADE A 50 GAME LONG LIST AND I LOST IT TO THE 'Enter' COMMAND AHAHHHAHHHHHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHHGH RAEG!

You should learn the noble ways of Ctrl+Z.
Indeed, but that is not only why I am RAEGing.

Banjo Kazooie isn't on the list! WHAZ-UP-WIT-DAT!?

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2009, 03:26:03 pm »

Ok, what the hell.
I agree Super Mario Kart is good, but 1st? No way.
And GTA isn't all that great, I would bump it down a couple 10s.

Super Metroid and Pokemon Red/Blue should be in the top 25, and Super Mario Bros. and Chrono Trigger should be in the top 10.
Tetris I would drop down to 3-5th.

And seriously, Pro Evolution Soccer 4 but no Banjo Kazooie?!?(I know, redundant.)

EDIT: And where in Hel is Warcraft or AoE?

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2009, 04:40:08 pm »

I agree Super Mario Kart is good, but 1st? No way.
I dunno.  It got a LOT of non-gamer adults into gaming.  Tons of families went from "the kids play video games and the adults don't care" to "everyone crowd around the console".  In terms of getting non-gamers to pick up a controller and start the transition to hardcore gamer, it worked really well.  I'd say it was a key thing in convincing companies that you could DO that.

EDIT: And where in Hel is Warcraft or AoE?
Quote from: Sowelu
CONSOLE GAMES ONLY.

Seriously, does anyone ever read?  Anything?  At all?  Or even vaguely SCROLL THROUGH the thread?
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2009, 06:06:20 pm »

Well if we ONLY go by Consoles then my comments still stick... There are odd absenses from the list and some of the games while good didn't do squat.

Personally I am surprised Super Mario World got higher then Mario World 3 THEN AGAIN most Comics and others are based off of Super Mario World rather then Mario World 3.

Edit Addition: Ohh wait nevermind... Mario World 3 DIDN'T get on the list.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 06:13:27 pm by Neonivek »

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2009, 06:15:49 pm »

That said, it's a /terrible/ list for the non-X-Com-or-Civ-lacking reasons stated above.

I played both Civ II and that free UFO game out there, and while I had some fun, I don't think they deserve to be on that list.

Super Mario Kart, on the other hand, do deserve to be on that list.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2009, 06:27:41 pm »

I played both Civ II and that free UFO game out there, and while I had some fun, I don't think they deserve to be on that list.

"That free UFO game out there"?  What the heck are you talking about?  ???

This is a terrible list, just like pretty much every best video games of all time lists.  Especially since this is supposed to be the 50 most important and influential games of all time.  As usual though, it was made by people who don't know jack shit about video games.  Revisionist history I guess you could call it.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2009, 07:35:58 pm »

"That free UFO game out there"?  What the heck are you talking about?  ???

I'm talking about UFO: Alien Invasion! The free game that everybody hates because you can't blow up a fence! That game!
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8