Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Guinness lists top 50 games of all time  (Read 8270 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Guinness lists top 50 games of all time
« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2009, 12:21:32 pm »

Yeah but to my knowledge the ports were practically invisable. By the fact that I never seen one.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 07, 2009, 12:58:56 pm »

Friend of mine got doom II for the GBA  ;D

Best part: he loves it.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2009, 05:52:58 pm »

I was talking about it because I stated that I played that UFO game, and, er, I didn't like it. I was stating it to counter those who were screaming about why it wasn't on the list of videogames (and PC games aren't exactly videogames, but meh).

That's it. Then the argument began over if the UFO game was free and if it was a remake. It is surely not a remake. It wasn't even made by the original designers. How could you call it a remake? But meh.

Wait wait wait... You're saying you don't think a game should be on the list because you played an in development version of a free knock off of it that's missing important features and weren't impressed?
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2009, 05:55:31 pm »

You're saying you don't think a game should be on the list because you played an in development version of a free knock off of it that's missing important features and weren't impressed?

Isn't it obvious? He works for Guinness :D

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2009, 05:55:50 pm »

Wait wait wait... You're saying you don't think a game should be on the list because you played an in development version of a free knock off of it that's missing important features and weren't impressed?

Because I don't feel blowing fences up is an important feature. Geospace, turn-based combat, Battlescape, R&D, alien invasion, blah, blah, they make up the X-COM genre, etc. Geospace I like, Battlescape I don't, and including exploding fences isn't going to change my dislike of Battlescape.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 07, 2009, 06:07:57 pm »

Yeah but to my knowledge the ports were practically invisable. By the fact that I never seen one.
I remember seeing a PS1 demo of Doom and I never owned a console. They're sort of considered second-rate here compared to PC gaming (everyone I know has got a computer used for gaming, few have got a console, handhelds are even more obscure).

(and PC games aren't exactly videogames, but meh).
lol wut?

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 07, 2009, 06:16:15 pm »

Because I don't feel blowing fences up is an important feature. Geospace, turn-based combat, Battlescape, R&D, alien invasion, blah, blah, they make up the X-COM genre, etc. Geospace I like, Battlescape I don't, and including exploding fences isn't going to change my dislike of Battlescape.

So you're rating a game you've never played based on your dislike of a free knock off of it that isn't even finished yet and is missing an important feature which you mistakenly don't think is important and obviously don't even understand from the way you describe it.... ::)

Let me explain something about these "exploding fences".  What you call "exploding fences" is fully destructible terrain.  It's the simple difference between completely static battlefields with only specific set ways to approach a situation, and completely dynamic tactical battlefields where an entrance is where ever you want it assuming you have enough explosives.  Not only that but UFO AI has only a limited number of hand made maps, while X-Com had randomly generated maps.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 07, 2009, 06:22:59 pm »

Let me explain something about these "exploding fences".  What you call "exploding fences" is fully destructible terrain.  It's the simple difference between completely static battlefields with only specific set ways to approach a situation, and completely dynamic tactical battlefields where an entrance is where ever you want it assuming you have enough explosives.  Not only that but UFO AI has only a limited number of hand made maps, while X-Com had randomly generated maps.

Let me stress again.

I don't like Battlescape.

That's it. I don't like the "tactics" and micromanging my men during portions of the game, I like running my base and researching. I don't care how many fences you can blow up, and how the fences are randomly placed, the fact is that I don't like the concept of Battlescape. I like Geoscape. That's it. Gah.

Destructible terrian is unimportant compared to what I feel is basically an annoying turn-based combat mini-game.

EDIT: You know what, forget it. I'm leaving this thread.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 06:32:44 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2009, 12:33:39 am »

Actually I wasn't refering to Doom... which I have seen on other consoles

I was refering to Duke Nukem

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2009, 07:24:38 am »

Actually I wasn't refering to Doom... which I have seen on other consoles

I was refering to Duke Nukem
Well, you've got me there. I've only ever seen the TPS knock-off on the N64.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 08, 2009, 08:08:46 am »

I outright refuse to acknowledge any list of "best games ever" that is subjective in nature. At all.

If the list were based on cold, hard, undeniable facts, then I'd take it more seriously. For example, if the list were something like "This is a list of the 50 best selling games" where the 1# spot is to the game that sold the most units, that'd be better.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 08, 2009, 08:29:41 am »

Yep, you are right chaotic. It's impossible to create a "proper" list like this, because it's a matter of subjective opinion, that which game will be on the list.
PS.
I think that Guinness shouldn't release lists like these, because these are not objective. Like you've said, if they would release a list about the 50 best selling games of all time...well that would be acceptable.  ::)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 08, 2009, 04:01:55 pm »

The list explained that by "Best" they meant most influencial.

Most Influencial does have some basis in objective reality.

Then again... so does Best... but the problem with Best is that you can't compare all games in the same way due to the limitations of a genre.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 08, 2009, 08:14:10 pm »

How can ff 12 be ahead of seven? How?

It's more influential? When it's a dead end branch-way to the serries? It's a fine game, but left me so much left fufilled than seven.

The list has some series problems. SERIOUS problems.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 09, 2009, 12:15:09 am »

I think it has to do with Temporal issues. A lot of games got on the list simply because they are new.

Either that or they consider the guy quitting Squarenix as a tragety. (Either the Zipper guy or the Bead guy... Or someone else)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8