Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18

Author Topic: Twenty Million Miles From Home OOC  (Read 25525 times)

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
Re: Twenty Million Miles From Home OOC
« Reply #135 on: March 07, 2009, 03:56:20 am »

...WHY?

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 07, 2009, 05:00:58 am »

-----
Name: James Tynan.
Deck: 1

James was born, and grew up, on the south-east coast of Australia. In his childhood he lived in a rural area, his parents weren't the richest but they did their best for him. James wasn't the most confident growing up, even though he had a lot of friends he did things on his own. Most days were spent surfing the sets dawn to dusk. Although he was smart, got high grades and test marks, he didn't like school, a lot of days he just didn't go. James was a procrastinator, mostly because he didn't have the motivation to do school work. There were certain things in school he liked, he had a head for maths and numbers, and liked doing maths. After he left school he got a part-time job, it was boring work but he needed the money. Leaving school dropped a lot of pressure from his shoulders, he became more social. However after a few years he needed adventure, he was doing nothing for humanity, only doing useless grunt work, so he signed up for the military. Thinking it would be flying through space shooting down aliens and receiving award after award, recommendation after recommendation. It wasn't this, he was disappointed by what he was doing there, doing the grunt work.
-----
Now?
Anything, at all?

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 07, 2009, 05:04:45 am »

Mmm...obviously a regular I suppose. He's as about as resentful for the grunt work as the rest of the characters.

I'm not really paying attention to anything, as I haven't slept in hours, but I'm gonna go ahead and okay it anyway.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 07, 2009, 06:47:41 am »

So can you still join?

Name: Samuel Hill
Deck: 2
Bio: Sam grew up in a peaceful small town. He was short-tempered and quite smart, but lacking patience and found the small town boring.
Sam moved to the city on his 20th birthday. He quickly found a job first as a cleaner, then as a repairman.
However, he got bored fast and decided life aboard a space ship would be more interesting.
He was wrong, or atleast so it seemed.
(Okay, bad, I know, I'll edit it if it isn't good enough.)
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 07, 2009, 12:12:34 pm »

I'm saying when you post in the IC topic, do it in past tense, not present tense.
Uhhh, I think that (SPACE ;) ) ships already been sailed. Everyone is already posting in present tense, we should just stick with that.

The sign up system is pretty good, it makes people think they HAVE to wait... But it seems like its really just a technicality.

Also
WorkerDrone points to the IC thread.
Hey whats that supposed to mean?!

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 07, 2009, 01:10:29 pm »

I'm saying when you post in the IC topic, do it in past tense, not present tense.
Uhhh, I think that (SPACE ;) ) ships already been sailed. Everyone is already posting in present tense, we should just stick with that.

The sign up system is pretty good, it makes people think they HAVE to wait... But it seems like its really just a technicality.

Also
WorkerDrone points to the IC thread.
Hey whats that supposed to mean?!
It means people need to post their starting rounds.

AND PRESENT TENSE IS IRRITATING. Use past tense, damn it. It sounds better.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 07, 2009, 01:16:35 pm »

I think starting rounds are over...

anyway IT WOULD BE WEIRD IF WE SUDDENLY SWITCHED TO PAST TENSE.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 07, 2009, 01:22:48 pm »

Workerdrone said I'm in, so I'm in. I'll go post in there now.
After I read everybody else's, of course.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 07, 2009, 01:24:34 pm »

Switched, cowofdoom?

OOC: Besides this tiny line of OOC, used for the purpose of telling you this, there shall be no OOC in this thread. There is a different thread for that. Thank you. Oh, and heres the OOC link: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=31851.0

Gaweir bumped his head into a pipe when he awoke to alarm sirens, and calls for battlestations. He had been trying to fix some pipework to the showers leading up and down through Engineering to the Living Quarters...that is until he decided to take a nap. He rubbed his head, and reached for his PDA.

You Have One Message

He cocked an eyebrow and pressed the data slate reading 'enter'.

Crewman-Orsidious report to Deck 1 Overseer Frederickson. The ship rumbled slightly, making him almost lose hold of his PDA. Gaweir glanced up through a jumble of pipes, and saw Crewmen rushing by, likely to report to the Overseer. "Why are we going into Battlestations..." Gaweir muttered under his breath as he crawled out of the pipework, but not before checking his holster for his side arm and pocketing his PDA.

He rushed past a pair of Marines, who turned around to watch a quick footed Crewman nearly slip and fall into someone. Gaweir said he was sorry to the bewildered scientist, offered to gather up her paperwork, and was off before she had any idea what had taken place.

The general clamor of the Engineering deck, maintaining the various systems aboard The Retribution that need constant care was even louder, if that were even possible, though Gaweir. The Overseer kept the crowd of Engineers and deckhands on task, sending them off to adjust equipment, or tend to computer systems. Before Gaweir could utter a single sentence, he was already ushered off to a set of autolift loaders, that apparently hadn't been in working order an entire service cycle. He cursed his superiors procrastination as he attempted to find out how to clear the machines jam.

A different Engineer took his place, and even walked him through the process, though Gaweir couldn't understand half of what he was being told. He noted what he could however. "You want me to what?"

"Clear the jam, by manual means. Look, just hook up your multitool to the system, and rerun the mechanisms. It should clear this 'loader up nice and easy." Gaweir looked disdainfully at the twitching machine, and got close enough to hook up his multitool. After messing with the machine for a minute he got it running. Grit spat up and nearly nailed him in the face, and would have if he hadn't been afraid enough of the machine to jump back at any sudden movements.

"Good work! I'll take it from here." Gaweir wondered if it was so easy, why couldn't this more experienced Engineer have taken care of it hours before? He would have reflected on this longer if he hadn't been jarred by the ship shaking slightly again.

Gaweir comtemplated staying in the Engineering Bay, but he knew he hadn't learned enough to be of any use here. He put away his multitool, and made for the entrance into Deck 2.

We have a precedent for the Past Tense Only Rule, here.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 07, 2009, 01:26:51 pm »

Workerdrone said I'm in, so I'm in. I'll go post in there now.
After I read everybody else's, of course.
Yay, everyone post after him.

We have a precedent for the Past Tense Only Rule, here.
Ugh, just more work for me...
Oh well. So be it!

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 07, 2009, 02:08:56 pm »

Before anybody asks, the journal entries are not going to appear in every update I write for Jeremy. That would make no frigging sense. In fact, he probably won't get another entry opportunity for a while. But the PDA seemed like a good vehicle for getting into Jeremy's head without actually, y'know. Going there. Cause it's dark and cold. And squishy.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 07, 2009, 05:07:55 pm »

Since we're all so perfectly settled into the game, go ahead and start posting guys. Though mind you, like I said, don't fill up an entire page with just one or two people.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 07, 2009, 06:53:33 pm »

I know you gave us a pretty good description of the exterior of the ship, but I'm having some questions regarding the interior.

According to your description, our 4 Klick long ship rotates in order to produce "gravity" (actually centrifugal force, since we're technically being thrown at the floor, away from the core). Therefore, it seems to me that our ship could be built in a circle within a circle within a circle design (or tube withing a tube), with the more critical components in the center to minimize risk. If we assume that the engines and engineering, the reactor core, and the engines make up the center (despite engineering being deck 1 and the core being deck 7), then that leaves 8 more decks to figure out the order for. Here's my suggestion:

Outer Hall and Armor
Storage/Hanger Bay
Living Quarters
Sickbay/Communications/Armoury/R&D/The Bridge
Engineering
Center: Reactor Core
Engineering
Sickbay/Communications/Armoury/R&D/The Bridge
Living Quarters
Storage/Hanger Bay
Outer Hull and Armor

The reasonings and explanations: Pretend the above is a cross-section of the ship. Past the outer hall we have the Hanger Bay and several levels of storage. The further away you go from the core, the bigger the decks have to get, so it stays a circle. This means we have a crap-load of storage, which can be sealed off with pressure doors in case of exposure to hard vacuum, much like modern day cruise ships. It also provides great protection for the next level down, the living quarters. My only defenses for making the living quarters so close to the outer hull is practicality, and space. Because the living quarters have the few level deep storage space above, it should be fairly well protected. It would also provide plenty of space for the large amount of crew necessary to keep this behemoth functional.
Next down we have Sickbay, Communications, the Armoury, R&D, and the Bridge. I lumped those onto one circle because they really don't need the same amount of space as the above levels. Instead, they should be sectioned off as you move horizontally down the tube. The Bridge should be at the front of the ship, followed by Communications, Sickbay, the Armoury, and R&D. That puts Sickbay in one of the safest positions of the ship: nearly dead center.
Next is Engineering, which should have it's own level as it (and the Core) form the hub of the ship, and monitors everything related to it, power-wise. The engines, fed by the core, are at the rear of this tube.
Elevators appear at regular intervals throughout the tubes, making it fairly simple to move about the ship, despite its rotation.

Now that I've burned out my brain building a star-ship from the ground up, I leave it to you, the reader, to correct, flame, etc.

;D
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 06:57:24 pm by rickvoid »

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 07, 2009, 07:53:20 pm »

Rickvoid, as stated before, the ship's gravity is generated by centrifugal force, thus you would HAVE to construct the ship as a tube as you mention. Its the only way unless you layer on a center and then just add bulk, allowing gavity to be produced but constructing any shape you pleased. But then the ship would be much more bulky and that would be unneeded. The ship design, as you mention is perfect, I say we adopt it, but otherwise the look of the ship is the same as described.

Its a Four Kilometre tube, with metres of hull, and then a layer of armour put on. Closer to the center enters the more important systems of the ship, which is also where the lowest gravity is located. Closer to the exterier is where the less important functions are. But also safety as you suggested is taken into account, and all Quarters and the Sick bay are closer to the flux in the ship, that being engineering. The Engineering system, located in the center, pushed back closer to the engines maintain all power, the reactor, water recycling, among other things, right next to where the crew lives. Usually because its directly where most of the crew go, as we have a rather large number of engineers to maintain the ship itself.

Closer to the exterior is where  each and every airlock is located, aswell as the exterior and interior Sensor Arrays and Suites. This is where the armour is also located.

Each ship to ship 'day', repairs are put into effect in the all important arrays, which warns the vessel when cosmic things are in the way, such as 'Roid fields, meteor storms, and other such things.

Most things are layered in the plates of armour, which also adds extra protection to the ship, not just from other masses hitting the vessel, but also radiation. This gives the look of an armoured worm.

The interior of the ship is Taupe in color. The exterior is blackish gray.

The hangers, of which there are two, or three if you count the bay that maintains a stock of drones, are located at the bottom of the ship. The bridge is located at the top, at the closer to the engines. There is no tower, and there are no excess exterior 'looky holes' on the ship discounting the observation deck.

As for further safety, the ship does indeed seal off areas of the ship, with the pressure doors mentioned. These are usually target areas to get into working order as soon as possible.

The ship itself has the ability to maintain indefinently. Drones collect materials for use, and foundries in the ship can use the raw materials for parctical use. This allows the ship to 'makeshift' holes in the ship. Drones also act as scouts.

Drones can be easily replaced. They have no A.I, as they are remote controlled. Big things that can take a pounding.

Most weapon systems are located ontop, or at the fore of the vessel.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 07:55:49 pm by WorkerDrone »

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 07, 2009, 08:41:03 pm »

"Affects the neuros," man? Seriously?
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18