Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18

Author Topic: Twenty Million Miles From Home OOC  (Read 25601 times)

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Twenty Million Miles From Home OOC
« Reply #90 on: March 06, 2009, 07:55:36 pm »

Cow of Doom: Your character seems fine to me, and I think you got in before Workerdrone closed the applications.

Rickvoid: Your character also seems good. You aren't in the game yet (due to applications being closed), but your character is likely to be accepted if a space opens.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 06, 2009, 08:00:50 pm »

Cow of Doom: Your character seems fine to me, and I think you got in before Workerdrone closed the applications.
Oh ok, yeah I was just making sure... ;D

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 06, 2009, 08:10:52 pm »

How are we classifing the weapons? I'm assuming that the side arms are slug throwers, for example, but some more background would be nice. Lest I mess it up for everyone.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 06, 2009, 08:17:21 pm »

How are we classifing the weapons? I'm assuming that the side arms are slug throwers, for example, but some more background would be nice. Lest I mess it up for everyone.
Assume that many weapons are slugthrowers, and that most walls and windows inside the ship are bulletproof. Let's just say that the side arms come with hollowpoints, to further reduce the chance of shooting a hole in something other than a person or alien.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 06, 2009, 09:14:26 pm »

Most bullets you can requisition during ship to ship combat will be light weight for low grav to no grav combat closer to the center of the ship, and other types of ammo are handed out depending on whether or not its needed. During ship to ship combat, we could indeed say that hollow points would be issued.

Since this isn't the far future, you can expect the shot gun, though with some enhancements, to still be the same brutal yet effective close range weapon its suppose to be. You can also expect the same depending on what bullets or shells you load your weapons with. Shotguns are shotguns, rifles are rifles. They just fire weaker bullets when onboard a vessel. Plenty enough power to punch through weak armour. Not enough to wreck starship material.

Inalucts idea seems right enough, but as for the walls and windows, let me give you the information.

The inner ship is made from a Titanium A and some variation of steel material, while the outside of the ship is a Ceramic mix, folded metal, and then plated armour to protect from heat, cold, mass, and speed. The main idea is that an attacker would have to break off each seperate plate of armour, but then penetrate hard hull.

And since it may be asked, The Retribution is a large, heavily armoured vessel, but it isn't a battleship, at least, not in its own arms. It has a few High Velocity Cannons, which can punch through armour and pretty much ignores all but plasma shields, and even then can break through them, but not enough for a large scale engagment on its own. It also maintains several torpedo batteries, has a small stockpile of nuclear weapons, and is also armed with a small craft defense system, though its computer controlled, and mostly spits out metal junk collected in space by drones.

The Retribution has no shields to speak of, and neither to any other ship besides perhaps alien vessels(This raises the question if there are various alien races! Haha! Now your all paranoid).

Sounds like an impressive armoury for ship-to-ship combat, yes? Against a single vessel? Yes. It can be a deadly opponent.

But the as a Expedition vessel, it has no chance against more then say, three opponents with out proper support. Which by the way is where fighter-bombers come in.

A proper flanking attack and we can be pinned down by one vessel, while two others attack our sides or behind until we fall apart. But we're not really meant to engage enemies, which is where the story may divert at somepoint.

Otherwise, our vessel is capable in that it has a small, but impressive array of weapons.

Has a large armoury, armed with new weapons.

Has a moderate sized force of Marines aboard.

And has several squadrons of Fighter-Bombers to engage other enemy vessels.

More on defense:

The hull of the starship can be seperated from the rest of the vessel and locked down until EVA suited engineers can fix the tear in the hull.

Every glass window is made of strong material, including the observation deck, which is pretty much on the bridge deck. Should any window break, it will be sealed almost instantly to prevent explosive decompression.

The Observation deck is sealed in a thick layer of Titanium A when the ship is in combat.

More later.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 06, 2009, 09:17:06 pm »

You just gave me a scifi/tech boner.

I don't know about joining this, but hearing that I will sure as hell read it.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 06, 2009, 09:25:22 pm »

That was a pretty hard-core read. Sounds like quite the floating deathtrap super-happy-fun-land!

On your Alien comment(s)... You've been mentioning them on and off for the whole of the friggen thread. Paranoia? I'm half convinced there won't be any aliens ever. Of course the other half is convinced this is all a smokescreen set up by the Lizard People in order to infiltrate our ranks and sabotage our mission in the name of the Holy Flying Spaghetti Monster.

I solemnly swear I will never repeat the above again.
Swear.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 06, 2009, 09:29:31 pm »

That was a pretty hard-core read. Sounds like quite the floating deathtrap super-happy-fun-land!

On your Alien comment(s)... You've been mentioning them on and off for the whole of the friggen thread. Paranoia? I'm half convinced there won't be any aliens ever. Of course the other half is convinced this is all a smokescreen set up by the Lizard People in order to infiltrate our ranks and sabotage our mission in the name of the Holy Flying Spaghetti Monster.

I solemnly swear I will never repeat the above again.
Swear.
Quoting so I can call you on this later.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 06, 2009, 09:34:36 pm »

Move along folks, nothing to see here, seriously.
Quoting so I can call you on this later.

Poopy.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 06, 2009, 09:38:35 pm »

So when do the aliens show up? Im kinda tired of all this "What could it be?!?!" stuff. Lets get to the hack and slash action!

Ahem, please?

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 06, 2009, 09:41:33 pm »

People need to post.

Also, I'm more then willing to expand the armoury if you guys have any ideas, but no plasma or lazer weaponry. Thats what the secret-types in the R&D Deck are for.

And we also need to name our fighters. I'm also willing to accept ideas on that.

Also, I heard someone nitpicking with the name 'Twenty Million Miles From Home'.

I am damn well aware that it isn't that far from Earth.

Names are just names people. Its suppose to be cool sounding. I didn't want to use Light Years, or just up a large number like Billion or Trillion.

Million it is.

Damn.

Kicks down a wall and leaves muttering under breath.

EDIT: Also, Jeremy, your in the game. Go ahead and post.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 06, 2009, 09:45:42 pm »

I just finished a small something. Nothing really happens to Strife though. Meh. Once someone else posts something, I can do the second part. It got long really fast.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 06, 2009, 09:47:08 pm »

I realize I don't get in, but your reasons were still not valid:
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 06, 2009, 09:50:03 pm »

I want mine super actiony(within reason of course) but still from what I've read it seems like aliens are supposed to show up after like 10 posts of people doing the laundry. Cant they come in now?

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 06, 2009, 09:50:15 pm »

Armok, no means NO.

Now get over it.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18