Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Chrononauts (TURN 4, in the works! Time-Travelling Card Game, With Roleplay!)  (Read 15852 times)

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Chrononauts is a famous time-travelling card game, and I was thinking of having this game be played on DF (at least when my Third-World Mafia game ends). You want the rules, you can look here. However...um...some of the stuff on the game is a bit...er....strange. For one of the 'least strange' examples...sinking the Titantic will stop the Great Depression, and saving Lennon's life will get guns banned and marajuna legalized. So yeah.

There are some other stuff within the game too, but erm...let just say, I edited the timeline from the game. I got rid of one event (Lennon getting killed), and replaced it with the 9/11 attack, and added a few future events too. My own personal timeline for this game may also be a tad inaccurate and stupid. I apologize in advance. "A Wizard Did It."

The game isn't heavily involved, and I'll handle any problems with the rules. This topic is just to gague interest for the game.

Anyway, story? Here's it is, heavily edited to conform with my own Time Stream that I have for this Chrononauts game:

Once upon a time, you grew up in a timestream that is...slightly different from ours. Perhaps in your history books, JFK wasn't assassinated ­ but Adolf Hitler was. Maybe you're from a world in which the Russians got to the moon in 1969 instead of the Americans. Or perhaps the Titanic missed the iceberg in 1912 but sank anyway, in a different accident years later. Or maybe, just maybe, humanity was destroyed by a nuclear war in 1962, and you are a super-evolved cockroach from a hundred thousand years in the future.

Whatever that reality was, it was destroyed. A bunch of stupid time travellers went into your timestream, and caused a ton of stupid changes, creating an alternate reality and making you more than upset. Prehaps you were one of those stupid time travellers. In any event, you now live in a new timestream, luckily retaining some memory of life before the timestream change.

You now work for Time Repair Agency, an organization that technically, um...doesn't exist, thanks to said 'stupid time travellers' ending up destroying the timestream where the Time Repair Agency was created. You're still getting paid somehow for the effort, and in return for working with the Agency, you get a spiffy Time Machine, allowing you to time travel yourself.

You see, when you time travel and change history, certain time paradoxs may occur. Andrew Johnson's impeachment cannot happen if Lincoln didn't die. The Holocaust can't happen without Hitler. Etc. When these events are rippled out of existence, they leave a Big Hole in the Fabric of Time, commonly called a Paradox. Big Holes aren't really that bad, they just mean that people living in the time stream strain to remember what exactly happened in 1948...but if you got 13 Big Holes in the timestream, very fabric of the space-time continuum unravels, the Entire Universe is destroyed, and you will get fired and lose your time travelling priviliges. You can't let this happen! If you do find any Paradoxes during your travel, you are strongly urged to apply a PATCH to a Paradox, thereby repairing the paradox and getting rid of the Big Hole. Doing so will net you a bonus.

(Anyone who plays a Patch gets an extra card as a reward. You start the game with a hand of three cards, but if it ever grows to ten, you can buy the agency outright, and win the game.)

But there is another way to make money. See, you also do some subcontract work on the side, working for the highest bidder. The bidder wants some Artificats from the time stream, prehaps they wanted the Cure for Cancer, or a Dinosaur, or the Ark of Covenant. You don't really care why they want fake paintings of Mona Lisa, but if you fufil the subcontract work, the bidder will reward you big-time, allowing you to quit the rat race and retire!

But, you may desire that the constant infighting within the Time Repair Agency seems a tad...upsetting and stupid. What if you desire to go back home? The third way to win the game is to change the timestream enough to fit your version of Original History. Then you can go back home and finally enjoy living life how it was supposed to be, before those pesky Time Travellers entered in.

Whatever path you choose, the fact remains that your other employees at the Time Repair Agency got their own agenda. Let the battle for time begin!

EDIT:
Time Stream at the begining of the game=
1865: Lincoln Assassinated / Wounded
1868: Andrew Johnson Impeached
1912: Titanic Sinks / Avoids Iceberg
1914: Archduke Ferdinand Assassinated / Unharmed in Attack
1915: Lusitania Sinks / Arrives Safely
1917: US Declares War on Germany
1918: Europe in Ruins after World War I
1929: Stock Market Crashes
1933: The Great Depression
1936: Hitler Opens '36 Olympics / is Assassinated
1937: Hindenburg Explodes / Bomb Found
1939: Germany Invades Poland
1941: Pearl Harbor Bombed / Raid on Pearl Harbor Called Off
1942: Final Solution Undertaken
1943: Manhattan Project / Sabotaged
1944: D-Day
1945: A-Bombs Dropped on Japan
1948: Israel Founded
1950: Seoul Captured by North Korea
1957: Sputnik Launched / Rocket Explodes on Pad
1962: Cuban Missile Crisis
1963: JFK Assassinated / Injured in Motorcade Shooting
1968: MLK and RFK Assassinated
1969: Apollo-11 Lands on Moon
1974: Nixon Resigns
1981: Reagan Wounded / Assassinated
1986: Challenger Explodes
1991: Soviet Union Collapses
1993: Waco Compound Burns to Ground / Standoff Defused Peacefully
1995: Oklahoma City Bombing
1999: Columbine High School Massacre
2001: September 11th/Terrorist Plot Prevented
2003: Iraq War
2007: The "Credit Crisis" Recession
2010: Israeli-Iranian War
2012: Nothing Happens
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 06:03:17 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
Re: Chrononauts (Sign-Up Now! Time-Travelling Card Game, With Roleplay!)
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 11:08:45 am »

I'm in.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 11:18:42 am »

sounds weird, will give it a go.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 11:56:01 am »

I like it. I'll play.

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 12:08:37 pm »

I want in!

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: bla-bla Time-Travelling Card Game! bla-bla
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 02:33:37 pm »

I'm in!
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 02:48:38 pm »

Sign me up!

so I can go back in time and redesign my Dwarven racer with more cornering
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 07:03:23 pm »

Upsignery.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Xenomorph

• Bay Watcher
  • has sprung from ambush!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 07:40:22 pm »

Consider this to be a post of signuppishness,

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 07:56:01 pm »

Wow. 8 people! That means there is a lot of interest.

Tell you what, I'll let other people jump in for the fun too during play! :p

If you want to play, just say, "I want to play!", and I'll quickly generate up a secret mission and secret idenity. You get jumped right into the action next turn.
This is just some stuff that wasn't covered in the background material already:

Linchpin:

You see, despite how easy the Timestream can change, there are a few immutable laws that govern the Timestream. Basically, you can only change history at certain points, which are termed "linchpins". Linchpins are very important historical events that can change history. Examples of linchpins are Lincoln's Assassination and the Manhattan Project. On the starting Timestream, I have bolded certain events, so that would represent what are Linchpins.

Players can change the Linchpin events using the "Inverter" card. All other events on the Timestream are "Ripples", and they are affected by the Lichpins. When Ripplepoints are turned over, they become Paradoxes, which must be repaired using Patches.

Also, a rule on Paradoxes, and restoring "Original History": You can't win by getting home if there's an open Paradox in any of your three special years. These Paradoxes must either be erased, or covered by the appropriate patches. Otherwise, you can't go home.
Here's a summary of the rules, at least for playing Chrononauts on this board.

All players start off with 3 Cards. I will send you your secret objective and your Original Timeline.

Play occurs like this.

Draw 1, Play 1: You begin your turn by drawing one card from the draw pile. If you can't (or don't want to) play any of your cards, then discard one. If you do this, you may choose to discard a second card, and draw one. Otherwise, play one of the following five types of cards, as follows:

*Inverter: Choose one of the Linchpins this card will allow you to change and flip that card over. When you change the Lichpin, certain Ripples will be turned into Paradoxes, or conversly, will no longer be Paradoxes.
*Patch: A Patch can only be played when the corresponding year on the Time Stream is currently within a Paradox. The Paradox is patched, and you will be able to draw an extra card (as an immediate reward for doing this vital repair work). Be sure to follow any special instructions on the Patch when playing it.
*Artifact: You will travel through Time to the year listed on the card, in order to fetch the item in question. When that happens, everyone knows you have the Artificat, and will be able to steal/tamper/delete from history.
*Action: Put the card in the discard pile and do whatever it says.
*Timewarp: Put the card in the discard pile and do whatever it says.

I will PM you what card you drew. You must PM me back what card you are discarding or playing.

Once I receive PMs from all players, all your turns happen simultaneously! This will prevent people who log in all the time to end up getting an advantage. If there is a conflict between two cards, then I'll flip a coin to decide who wins.

Some cards can affect what happens in previous turns. Time travel and all.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 09:59:53 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 08:02:58 pm »

I jump in.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2009, 08:03:47 pm »

Hmmm.

Is this a simplified version or something? *Looking at full rules*
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2009, 08:15:11 pm »

Hmmm.

Is this a simplified version or something? *Looking at full rules*

I copied some parts from the "Getting Started Immediately". The main rules aren't really contradicted, and since turns are simultaneous, there is no need to decide who goes first.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2009, 08:34:30 pm »

Hmmm. So when do we get cards and the linchpin/ripple table?
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2009, 09:33:15 pm »

When I generate the cards, I'll PM to you. Here's the Linchpin/Ripple table. Some Patches also cause Paradoxes too, it will say so on the card. Patches explain how exactly they fix the "Paradox". Sometimes, there are more than one patch to fix a paradox...

-If Lincoln Wounded:
1. 1868: Andrew Johnson Impeached [PARADOX]
2. 1974: Nixon Resign [PARADOX]

-If Titatinc Avoids Iceberg
1. 1929: Stock Market Crashes [PARADOX]
2. 1933: Great Depression [PARADOX]

-If Archduke Unharmed
1. 1919: Europe In Ruins after World War 1 [PARADOX]
2. 1939: Germany Invades Poland [PARADOX]

-If Lusitana Arrives Safely
1. 1917: US Declare War on Germany [PARADOX]
2. 1944: D-Day [PARADOX]

-If Hilter Gets Killed:
1. 1942: Final Solution Undertaken [PARADOX]
2. 1948: Israel Founded [PARADOX]
3. 1944: D-Day [PARADOX]
4. 1939: Germany Invades Poland[PARADOX]

-If Hinderburg's Bomb Found:
1. 1950: Seoul Captured by North Korea [PARADOX]

-If Pearl Harbor Cancelled
1. 1945: A-Bombs Dropped on Japan [PARADOX]

-If Manhattan Projnect Sabatoged.
1. 1945: A-Bombs Dropped on Japan [PARADOX]
2. 1962: Cuban Missle Crisis [PARADOX]

-If Sptunik Sabatoged
1. 1969: Apollo-11 Lands on the Moon [PARADOX]
2. 1986: Challenger Explodes [PARADOX]

-If JFK Wounded
1. 1968: MLK and RFK Assassinated [PARADOX]
2. 1969: Apollo-11 Lands on the Moon [PARADOX]

-If Regan gets Killed
1. 1991: Soviet Union [PARADOX]
2. 2007: The "Credit Crisis" Recession [PARADOX]

-If Waco Standoff Ends
1. 1995: Bombing [PARADOX]
2. 1999: Massacre [PARADOX]

-If 9/11 Prevented
1. 2003: Iraq War [PARADOX]
2. 2007: "Credit Crisis" Recession [PARADOX]
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 09:58:10 pm by Servant Corps »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9