Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Your most uber "Duh" moments  (Read 21588 times)

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your most uber "Duh" moments
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2009, 01:28:08 pm »

I had a drainage system for a waterfall that went through my fort.  It emptied into a river.  It froze over in the winter.

There was a goblin siege. 
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Canadark

• Bay Watcher
  • meet me in the mead hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2009, 01:39:01 pm »

No, of course water doesn't move in diagonals! Digging a section diagonal to the river won't harm the fortress!

Curse you!  :o
You all do know that we everytime we gen a world in DF, a new universe is created somewhere, and everytime we delete a save we kill a whole world?
Aye, we are Armok, god of blood, evil, villager gutting, fortress building, legend making and elf thongs.

Jualin

• Bay Watcher
  • What's that sound?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2009, 07:05:07 pm »

I've killed hundreds of dwarves by designating large areas to be turned into ramps, without checking what is immediately above those areas.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2009, 07:17:38 pm »

What? No of course not our tower will fall! being supported by bridges alone is fine! *CRASH*

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2009, 07:19:45 pm »

I thought I had the prefect death pit;

Outside ->Bridge--->    Fort
_______                 ____________________
          |                |
 Water |                |Magma
 Water |__________| Magma

Soon enough a goblin ambush party would walk up, trigger the presure plates and get droped in the pit - i go ahead and flush them clean with some water. Then I dump some magma in, it spills all over the place, burns the bridge, evry single trap and sets the world on fire ....  well and encases the gobs in obsidan at least.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2009, 03:23:39 am »

Alright, I'll just channel this out carefull--

A section of the cavern has collapsed!
Urist Rakustmorul, Miner, has collided with an obstacle.

Or,

Why is this chunk of unsupported rock I'm using to dam the shortest cave river ever not falling yet? Is it this up stai--

A section of the cavern has collapsed!
Dastot Udiblogem, Fisherdwarf, has fallen into a chasm.
Ber Dumetatur, Champion, has fallen into a chasm.
Etur Ethrambur, Baby, has fallen into a chasm.

Cog Erishsarvesh cancels Dig: Unconscious.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 03:29:23 am by Jim Groovester »
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2009, 03:58:32 am »

yeah, ive had the stupid cave ins before. often from forgetting that grates and bridges and diagonal tiles cant support things.

in one of my huge forts halfway down to the bottom i channeled into a super high pressure water pipe with a giant above ground megaproject water tank attached to it. also after i savescummed i accidentally turned my main well resovoir into obsidian and emptied the entire magma pool while making a channel for my magma forges to be built along. both caused by designating channels without checking what was under the floor. and the second one was really stupid as i had just made the mistake moments earlier and ruined the fort.

other thing ive done which nearly ruined me was making very long open vertical shafts by digging a big long staircase, then channeling out each level from the bottom up. and i could not figure out why all my miners ended up injured and in bed. they were channeling out the stairs beneath them and falling. to get the picks off the unconcious injured miners i designated them for dumping. then they ended up in a hole that i could not access without digging to them. which i could not do as i had no picks to dig with. and i had no metals to make more picks, and no way of mining for them. and the caravan got attacked. it was 2 dwarf years before i could start digging again, all my dwarves were sleeping in a huge barracks in the one main hallway i had at that point.

Dareon Clearwater

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:colorful underwear]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2009, 04:19:55 am »

I had a fort i spent like an hour trying to figure out why none of my dwarves were doing -anything- except hauling stuff about.

i had forbidden all stone except bauxite (in order to make it into mechanisms) and all my workshops were constructed from the other types of stone, and therby forbidden as well.

This, only with three dozen magma glass furnaces.  I even submitted a bug report on it.
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

TCHJ3K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2009, 05:08:36 am »

I found obsidian on one of my forts long before I had a metal-bashing operation set up, and I thought it'd be a great idea to make some obsidian shortswords for my military to train with.

One pile of mortally-wounded champions later, the problem with this idea became apparent.

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2009, 01:50:45 pm »

I thought I was being so clever making a moat around my entrance.  I'll let the pictures talk.

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/2083/justasiplanned.png
http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/5364/ornot.png

:edit: Shockingly, that wasn't what finished me off.  I actually had enough people survive that I had a second fort well on its way.  The ONE thing I didn't have was a still.  The last 3 people, 1 after another went to the river to drink and got killed by carp.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 01:57:34 pm by Sir Finkus »

Katsuun

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loli_Weaboo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2009, 02:41:01 pm »

Just yesterday, I faced a goblin double ambush. The bridge leading to my TD was, I assumed raised, and I kne they would have to get though my trapped halls.

After the ambush got into my fortress and murdered my best dwarves, I looked at the TD and learned that I had forgotten to channel out the brook under the bridge.

I was wondering how they got through there...
how would a Fortress based curse work?

Rocks fall, everyone dies.

Sans context.

Eviltyphoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2009, 03:01:32 pm »

I found obsidian on one of my forts long before I had a metal-bashing operation set up, and I thought it'd be a great idea to make some obsidian shortswords for my military to train with.

One pile of mortally-wounded champions later, the problem with this idea became apparent.

I thought it was smart to make adamantine weapons for my champions before giving the adamantine weapons(EDIT:woops, ofcourse  I mean armor)... I already lost 2 champions while sparring :(
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 04:29:16 pm by Eviltyphoon »
"If you can't build a tower upon a sheer cliff face over which you may throw precisely one hundred and fifty-two kittens and seven stalwart dwarves to their explosive doom some fifty stories below, then brother, your game ain't much of a sandbox, is it?"

Skelodwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Mica for it's perfect cleavage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2009, 04:03:37 pm »

I am about to win:

I had the perfect area. It was beautiful.

It was an almost entire obsidian mountain, so I had an endless supply of swords to make (Which bought me a cow, that almost saved my civ). And somewhere, there was obviously lava to find. It had a river run straight through the center of the map, which formed a canyon that ended into an underground river right outside my base. WAY at the right side of the map. Which was entirely obsidian. So then I'm like. Hrmm, what are all those flashy brown arrows, a few minutes later, ALL of my dorfs are hungry. Checking my stocks, I have 50 seeds, no food, and 30 drink.
I quickly make a large farm. So I have a slow source of food now, just enough to keep everyone fed with a little excess.

Winter comes.

IF you haven't already seen where I'm screwed, the brook froze entirely, leaving my dwarfs with nothing to drink but booze. And that just ran out. So everyone is going slowly, and slowly running out of food. Their eating hadn't slowed. Now as I fight to brew half the food, and eat the rest, I decide now is a good time to get migrants.

I was dead before winter ended.
I never really got that excited over Microcline... Oh wait, THAT blue stuff.

Shzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2009, 04:24:45 pm »

In my current fortress, I just breached the HFS. Having many champions, I survived, but several dwarves died, and ensuing miasma made lots of my little ones angry.

One champion marksdwarf has a tantrum and punches a cat. He gets tossed into the prison. This is important; he gets chained up at a spot 7 or 8 squares away from the door. Since there's no water to moisten him with, his already delicate state degrades and he flies into a berserk rage. I think "OMG I have to stop him," stupidly forgetting how he was restrained. So I send in my melee champions to put the berserk dwarf down ... except there are 7 or 8 squares between the prison door and the very angry champion marksdwarf. Yeah. Two more champions and a dog get shot dead before they smack the berserk dwarf down.
000634 □ [adventure mode][environment]   jumping into water while on fire resulted in steamy death

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2009, 02:01:48 am »

Duh... never knew dwarves could do that.
Well, you might say, yeah, it happens. Even the fact that these triplets were enough to pull my outpost into becoming a hamlet isn't that cool.
But...

Eldest daughter? Youngest daughter? WTF?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 02:20:16 am by Murphy »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6