Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: what are the must-have mods?  (Read 1663 times)

Uninvited Guest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
what are the must-have mods?
« on: March 05, 2009, 12:48:29 am »

in b4 personal army. i don't feel like trying out every shitty mod out there to find the good ones. can you alls recommend me some pls?

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: what are the must-have mods?
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 01:22:34 am »

I find it fun to tweak my own raws, to start with. I've modded in the ability to use more types of stone to make weapons, and added stone weapons that didn't act like steel weapons.

Orcs are really fun. You know how goblins like to dick around, send a few ambushes and snatchers, then once you have 80 dwarves, mince up to your gate like prissy little elves and pretty please ask to be let in? Orcs don't do that. Most games, you will have a horde of naked, frothing orcs hooting and bellowing and running for your meaty, fleshy dwarves around the same time you get the first immigration wave.
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 01:35:20 am »

Vanilla DF is pretty damn fine, i'd say, never used any mods.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Shad0wyone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 04:53:35 am »

Remove carp from the world, and you'll have no problems. Unless you actually want to die...

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 09:05:51 am »

Vanilla DF is pretty damn fine, i'd say, never used any mods.

Vanilla DF is way too easy for an experienced player. This is why I am using Cpt. Mayday's LL mod. [..at least until I start to work on my Total Conversion mod, but I am waiting for the gfx/text separation for a long time now...]  :)

BirdoPrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 09:10:56 am »

I tried using the Legendary Lands mod for a while, but it wouldn't stop crashing on me. Finally I just said screw it and got Civilization Forge instead. It's pretty sweet :D

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 09:15:42 am »

I currently use a version of civilisation forge but with the new metals removed (along with their associations in the creatures) and with all clothing removed because I get tired of dealing with it.

I've also altered some of the civilisation tags to make them more aggressive and less likely to make peace, and during world gen the mega and semimega beasts all had x10 size just so more of them survived but that was just for world gen.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 11:47:23 am »

Remove carp from the world, and you'll have no problems. Unless you actually want to die...

What an undwarfy sentiment.  Losing is fun, after all.  And carp lead to massive river draining projects so you can harvest the bodies and outfit your army in *carp leather armor*.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 12:46:24 pm »

I always add in the cat pickup glitches fix. also I secound the orc mod suggestion and if you really want it hard use the deathquest version with trap avoid and other such goodies. also take the regular orcs and make a duplicate civ so you will have double the number in world gen and change the dupes active seasons to be the ones not covered by the regular ones.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 01:43:13 pm »

I like to add the [trainable] tag to a variety of creatures and hope that I either capture or get them from hippies. I don't do it for every creature, just ones that historically were trained for war. Elephants, gorillas & the other monkeys, and bears are my favorite ones.

War Elephants are insane. Having an army of war gorillas makes me feel like I'm the mighty diamond mine from Congo, and if I were a dwarf, I wouldn't ride horses or mules or donkeys, I'd ride a grizzly bear. Bears are the dwarves of the animal kingdom.
Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2009, 01:53:32 pm »

I always add in the cat pickup glitches fix. also I secound the orc mod suggestion and if you really want it hard use the deathquest version with trap avoid and other such goodies. also take the regular orcs and make a duplicate civ so you will have double the number in world gen and change the dupes active seasons to be the ones not covered by the regular ones.

Just FYI, Orcs v0.3 (should be released sometime this weekend) will have trapavoid and a few other tweaks added to them.

To answer the question, I use orcs (obviously), and some stuff based off the mineral mod to provide ores that yield more bars per stone. I've got glass temper-able into a "metal" (though not a terribly impressive meta, steel is still better). I added Mithril, lighter and better for armor than steel (made with steel and silver, or sometimes found as ore within silver veins). I've added in some other creatures (notably Dire Wolves and Giant Wolf Spiders) to make life in savage biomes a bit more interesting, and I agree with praguepride that having more than dogs be trainable is good.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2009, 03:48:12 pm »

I use the orcs mod, as well as bits and pieces from Civ forge, and Teldins, (tried to use LL but even just copying some of the files causes my game to crash :( )  I've also modded several animals to  be trainable, nothing beats war elephants or war gaint eagles. I also modded dogs and a few other critters to gain stats.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2009, 04:21:22 pm »

I use Civilization Forge, of course. It started with me adding in some new plants and animals, then minerals/metals, and finally a whole slew of races. Once I got it all working pretty well I decided to share it, and it's been getting lots of revisions and tweaks for a while now.

While part of me would like everyone to use my mod, I really think that it's best to take ideas from lots of places and customize the game to suit you. Civ Forge suits me perfectly, but it may have aspects that you're not as fond of or areas that you think it needs more.

I'm currently finishing up my Frost Giant Citadel spin-off. Should be done soon, once I finish up some of the longer-term tests.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
  • Multi-classing : Because wizards run out of spells
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2009, 06:37:21 pm »

I've tried out several and enjoy lots of them. If you just want a few different or tougher enemies try the:

Orcs mod
A better goblins mod (Several varieties for your choosing)

For more complete mods I'd say the best that I've seen are

Legendary Lands (I've not had any crashing but you have to follow install instructions very very carefully and mix and match with this is right out, Much much more challenging than vanilla.)

Civ. Forge (Maybe not quite as 'Holy xxxx! How'd that thing (Vampire, gargoyle, Ardenasaur, etc.) kill all my guys?' but still challenging with very good diversity.)

There are a few others that are decent, and many many that are great 'cut-and-paste' mods if you just want to change a few things.

And of course if you like not so dwarfy stuff there's always the Fallout mod, though I haven't tried it personally yet.
I like dogs... with a little bit of garlic and salt...
Pages: [1] 2