Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Idea/challenge: Goblinball!  (Read 4062 times)

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Idea/challenge: Goblinball!
« on: March 04, 2009, 05:04:06 pm »

I've come up with a fun sport for the whole dwarven family!

- Capture a bunch of goblins through the use of cage traps and such, wait for the cages to be transported into your fortress and strip them naked.

- Construct the goblinball pitch: pretty similar to a football (soccer) field, but basically a reasonably large, wall-enclosed, rectangular room with a goal on each short side, with a vertical line across the middle. Goals should be channels against the wall, connected to a 'receiving' floor below, and might be as wide as said side, if desired. Floor markings are aesthetically pleasing but optional.

- Set up (8-10) goblin cages along the middle line and link them to a lever, preferably outside the pitch.

- Position two four-dwarf teams, one on each side. The players should be experienced soldiers, armed with blunt weapons, or whatever weapon is most likely to send enemies flying.

- Have someone outside pull the lever linked to the cages and let the match begin! The team that "propels with the force of the blow" the most goblins into the opposite goal wins!

Comment! Discuss! Flame the dwarf from Flamegate!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 05:06:20 pm by Greenbane »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Idea/challenge: Goblinball!
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 05:06:48 pm »

Oh, that's awesome!

I might have to try that with my Frost Giants, since they're GREAT at sending enemies flying.  ;D
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Hurgal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 06:03:09 pm »

This is a wonderful, elegant concept.  My current fort is not at a stage where this is something I can do, but I am totally ganking this idea when I get the chance.

Lowtierhero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 07:02:00 pm »

A dwarven sport in every sense of the phrase

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 07:05:21 pm »

I'd have them play with axes and give points for body parts that land in the goal: 25 points for a full body, 10 points for a lower body or upper body, 5 points for a head, full leg or full arm, etc.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 07:42:21 pm »

I'd have them play with axes and give points for body parts that land in the goal: 25 points for a full body, 10 points for a lower body or upper body, 5 points for a head, full leg or full arm, etc.
That's a fantastic idea! :D

Heads should be worth 15 points, though. :P

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 07:46:57 pm »

The goal in question is inaccessible fortifications a few z=levels up.

This is going to require frantic chopping.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 08:29:45 pm »

The goals should be on the same level as the pitch, given dwarves can't hurl things up as far as I know. :P

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 08:34:53 pm »

No, duke is right - there should be some goals up higher. I'm constantly pulling severed heads off the top of my gatehouse, 4 z-levels up.

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 09:42:08 pm »

i think you need chopping weapons like axes to make bits go up z levels. hammers tend to throw the entire goblin a great distance horizontally with nearly every strike, but dont often break bits off. axes do, and also will ocasionally lauch goblin corpses in the same way hammers do.

some 'research' is probably in order.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 09:55:49 pm »

I'll just add in a higher-up goal and a ground level goal on each side. bonus points, of course, for getting the same goblin in both goals.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 10:02:02 pm »

If something slams into an object with enough force, it will explode into gore, sending body parts all over.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Hagadorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO-GIFTS] [NAUGHTY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 10:53:42 pm »

Needs moar magma
You see, booze is a parasite. It lives off dwarves and compels them to dig into the ground so as to create massive defences to protect it's self. It really shouldn't be called dwarf fortress, Booze fortress would make much more sense.

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
  • Half man. Half machine. All messiah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2009, 11:00:15 pm »

Needs moar magma

How's this;
Goal is a few z-levels up, but at the bottom is a pit of magma, so stuff that misses doesn't rot and miasmate.
Well treat me like the disease like the rats and the fleas, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Well treat me like the sea oh so salty and mean, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Let's shake hands if you want but soon both hands are gone, A-ha-ha!
Cut me down like a tree like the lumber or weeds, well discard who you please like the leaves off a tree. Drag me out of the sea and then teach me to breath. Give me forced health till I wish death on myself. Ah! Ha! Ha!
March on! March on! March on! March on! MARCH ON!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2009, 11:07:20 pm »

Needs moar magma

How's this;
Goal is a few z-levels up, but at the bottom is a pit of magma, so stuff that misses doesn't rot and miasmate.
Or the goal could be a platform suspended over magma. Imagine this:
 Ten dwarves, twenty traps. All on a good 20x10 field. On one end is a magma pit with a platform on it, directly behind this platform is a wall with another platform on top. Contestants would smack the goblins over the magma pit and hope it hits the wall on the backside of the scoring platform.
 1 pt for every body part on the field. Body parts in magma do not count.
 2 points for every body part on the platform.
 10 points for a corpse on the platform.
 20 points for every body part on the upper bonus platform.

Of course, the magma pit would have safety precautions in case a dwarf dodges off.
 GAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! OH I KILL ME!
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO
Pages: [1] 2 3 4